CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Bike got backed into (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/bike-got-backed-into-127467/)

jeffjones 06-26-2011 01:29 PM

Bike got backed into

7 Attachment(s)
Hey,

So I was at a softball tournament and parked the bike on the street and some guy backing out off the side of the road backed into my bike.
Luckily the alarm went off and a bunch of people went over to see so he didn't have a chance to take off, He apoligized and said it was 100% his fault and would either pay or go through insurance if it was too much.
Most of the damage is minor cosmetic as I had to drive it 45mins home and it drove fine.

Damage:

Right mirror broken off
Front brake lever bent
clutch lever bent
scratches on front and both lower fairings
scratched windscreen
rear brake lever bent
right rear set slightly bent
Gas tank dented and scratched
mid-pipe dented and scratched
both bar ends
shifter is kind of sticky

If anyone has gone through a situation like this whats the best way to handle it?
Should I ake a police report now or wait till I see how much it is and what he says?
If I get a quote does insurance cut me a check (and I just buy the parts and do it myself and keep the labour money) or do they pay the place I got the quote from directly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachment 46164
Attachment 46165
Attachment 46166
Attachment 46167
Attachment 46168
Attachment 46169
Attachment 46170

F34Me? 06-26-2011 01:38 PM

Take the bike to your local Honda dealer. Make sure they quote exact replacement parts. If there is damage to any aftermarket parts, have them quote the aftermarket price rather than OEM. Send the quote to his insurance company and they should cut you a check. Shouldn't have to involve the police at all if he is admitting fault.

fragoso87 06-26-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me? (Post 1072070)
Take the bike to your local Honda dealer. Make sure they quote exact replacement parts. If there is damage to any aftermarket parts, have them quote the aftermarket price rather than OEM. Send the quote to his insurance company and they should cut you a check. Shouldn't have to involve the police at all if he is admitting fault.

+1.....i agree get it to a local dealer and get a quote that way everything is on paper and you a figure to go on.

jeffjones 06-26-2011 02:13 PM

Well hopefully I didnt screw him over but I just got off the phone with the police because I just called to ask their opinion on what to do and they said I had 24 hours to report it so I said I might as well go ahead because if it comes out super expensive I dont want him to screw me over (Some people change attitudes after they get the quote, I think he thinks it might be just a couple hundred bucks)

fragoso87 06-26-2011 03:08 PM

i would take it to the dealer, show the guy and still report it, chances are hell say hell pay it but then never will and then your SOL

tucsondude 06-26-2011 03:23 PM

um yeah thats 2-3 grand at least if all oem parts...

What i would try doing
file a police report,
go through his insurance,
sadly but probably totalled
buy it back for several hundred, and paint it yourself, pocket cash.

best bet would be to have the insurance pay the dealer to do the repair work, thats if they do not total it.

when i was 17-21 i paid $1200,and 1100 out for repairs (2 different people i hit) cash to avoid having to take a hit on my insurance rates.

now 23, f that im paying my deductable

Kuroshio 06-26-2011 03:32 PM

Gotta be careful with the dealer tho. That looks like a couple thousand worth of damage (dealers don't fix things, they replace them). Too much and the insurance company will try to total it out.

If you don't mind a salvage title, then go ahead. But most likely, if they cut you a check it'll be for the value of the bike and brand the title

F34Me? 06-26-2011 04:00 PM

You can still ride the bike with a salvage title. It will make it a bit harder to sell if you ever want to replace it, but you will end up coming out ahead. If you just have it repaired, you are stuck with a repaired bike which is harder to sell than a bike that has never been down. To me, it is a no brainer...

Kuroshio 06-26-2011 04:17 PM

If you say so. My experience has been people are leery about a bike that's been down. But they flat out run from a bike with a salvage title (or knock $1k - $2k off the price).

Downed bike that looks flawless with a clean title: Ok
Downed bike that looks flawless with a salvage title: hard sell that all the damage was only cosmetic

jeffjones 06-26-2011 05:13 PM

Well I just got back from doing the police report and the cop said it is definitely his fault but he wont get chrged with anything (which is good since it was an accident)

I dont really want it to be a salvage title.
I wouldnt mind getting an RR but they are out of my price range in this city (Ipaid $4200 for my F4i and 03 RR's go for about $5500-$6000 here)
Does anyone know what price or % of cost that they will call it a salvage?
I figure I can go to Honda, get the quote give it to the insurance and am I able to negotiate from there? Like saying well I'll get the fairings from cbrfairings.com or something?

I would be pissed if they wrote off the bike for just falling over.

And how do I go about buying it back with a salvage title if it does go that way?