Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

BEWARE of fradulant PAYPAL sites!!! Very long story

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE of fradulant PAYPAL sites!!! Very long story

I have reason to suspect that I have been a victim of this scam.
I recieved an e-mail today stating that an e-mail address have been added to my paypal account.
For me to report it I was to click on the link attached. So I click the link, it brought me to an offical looking paypal website that, because of heightened security/ periodic security checks, it needed me to re-enter my credit card number, the number on the back of the card, the expiration date and my access code. I did all that and summitted it. it then asked me what kind of question I wanted to ask. I asked about fraudulant e-mails and websites. After I wrote them a lengthy e-mail, describing what had happen, it told me there would be a reply e-mail in the next couple of minutes. I waited 10 mins and nothing. So as I waited, I was typing something in my address bar to access another website. I accidently click onto a website and it was this korean website for panboy.com or something...I looked at the address and it looked familiar-I have never accessed this site before, but it stood out. I went back to the paypal e-mail and click it again...Sure enough it was almost the same panboy.com..........
this is when I started to get suspicous. I opened up another web browser and went to e-bay, signed in and procceded to my paypal account. logged in and I just sunked. The official site was Paypal.com. This is when I knew that I was dupped.
so I typed another lengthy e-mail and waited for a responce, but that just didnt satisfy me. I then looked up their contact info and called them directly. Told the customer service person the problem. I ended up changing my password and security questions. I was glad that no transaction was made in that 20min. I also called my bank and canceled my credit card-which no purchaces were made since earlier today. So I lucked out because of my quick action and spider sences
A big lesson was learned today. Be careful of what you open in your e-mails.
Also I just got an e-mail from paypal, which stated that no new e-mail were added to my account and that it was a spoof.
heres the e-mail if you care to read it. I highlighted some of the important stuff.

[i]Dear (me),

Thanks for writing to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with
your questions.

No new emails have been added to your account. What you received was a
spoof email. The terms 'spoofing' and 'phishing' are industry phrases used
to describe the act of collecting personal information by using a fake
email or website to entice victims into entering personal information such
as your birthday, credit card numbers, bank accounts, passwords, etc. This
sensitive information allows perpetrators to commit identity theft, credit
card, and Internet fraud. These emails and sites appear identical to real
ones, however, they are not. Unfortunately, some people fall prey to such
scams and unknowingly surrender their password, credit card number, and a
wide array of other personal information.

Ways to fight spoof and phishing are:

Use Account Guard on the eBay toolbar. If you use Internet Explorer,
download the eBay toolbar. Account Guard helps ensure you are on PayPal or
eBay. For further information on the eBay toolbar please visit this site:
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay_toolbar

Use the SafetyBar. The SafetyBar helps protect against fraud and identity
theft by working to ensure only valid emails get to your inbox, so you can
avoid criminal websites. For further information on the Safety Bar please
visit this site:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...rLanding-outsi
de

Please remember these steps to help protect your PayPal account from
Unauthorized Account Access.

[color=#0000FF]Emails - Make sure they are sent from PayPal

1. If you receive an email and are unsure whether it is from PayPal,
open a new web browser (e

Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Default RE: BEWARE of fradulant PAYPAL sites!!! Very long story

I work for a large bank. Just so you know... any reputable company will not ask you for that kind of information over email (unless it's under very very very specific/unusual circumstances). It's a pretty common scam because it's so easy and profitable, send out 10 million emails for free and even if only 10 people respond it's all profit. But you did the right thing most people just wait until something bad happens (like their credit is ruined) and then they blame the bank/credit card and have to spend months cleaning it up. By acting quickly you potentially avoided months of talking and writing letters to credit companies, banks, financial institutions etc. Have a great weekend.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:01 PM

If I recieve those emails ( and have) I will automatically forward it ( not respond) to spoof@paypal.com and then log into my paypal account on a new screen and check my account ( it never is accessed, added email, ect..) and I always recieve an email from Paypal stating that the email was not from them, blah,blah,blah

Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 PM

yeah, a great lesson learned.
At first, I was pretty heated and wanted to just remove the e-mail. Thats what keeps me off guard.
The thing was, EVERY THING-down to the last detail was accurate, as I use paypal allot.
But this was the first time that "paypal" needed me to re-enter personal information,
due to "heighten security." I should have saw it coming, but didnt. i'm just glad that I responded fast,
other wise, them scum bags would have taken all my life savings. There was about $4,500 in my account,
and I work WAY too hard for anyone too take my money. I've been in the military for about a year and half, and thats
all the money I have saved up.
Now, I'm going to keep the bulk of it in savings and apply for another debit card, but keep minimal $$ in there. That way
if it happens again- I wouldnt get f*cked- too bad.
its some sacry **** to know that someone else could wipe me clean in second, because I was not careful.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 AM

Hey...

Some words of advice on Debit Cards - Don't use them. Giving people direct access to your accounts is bad. The best thing to do (if you can) is to get a credit card and pay it off every month. This way if crooks do try and steal your card number and go on a massive spending spree it's with the Credit cards money and not yours. True that you should be protected from theft but depending on your bank it can take several days or even a week to get the money back into your account once stolen. At least with a credit card you haven't lost any of YOUR HARD EARNED moeny yet. that's my 2cents.