Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Barbeque Season

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Barbeque Season

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

Don't like ribs????? OK, you guys are probably black-op spies who ride Yamahas here to listen in on the cbr crowd. I got my eye on you guys............
thems fighting words

Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

...being grilled by wife for constantly making rib eye jerky.
Haha!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: telgren

Don't like ribs????? OK, you guys are probably black-op spies who ride Yamahas here to listen in on the cbr crowd. I got my eye on you guys............
thems fighting words
Hey now, your the one who doesn't like ribs........somethin wrong with all of it..and when I find out.....ohhhhh ohhhhh....

Old 06-19-2007, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: telgren

thems fighting words
Hey now, your the one who doesn't like ribs........somethin wrong with all of it..and when I find out.....ohhhhh ohhhhh....
It's not our fault we dont like things that taste funny!
The outside of the meat is ok,but the closer you get to the bone...oh man....*gag*

Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM

I've always loved ribs and I'm originally from north of the Mason Dixon. If you get ribs that are done right (the kind that you literally can't pick up by the bone when cooked because the meat just falls off) there's nothing you can compare it to.

I have a Kenmore propane grill, but I love charcoal grilled food too. I like to do steaks ribs (I'm not good at them though) veggies and beer-can-chicken. I've also done some other good recipes and techniques that I've gotten out of a couple of my grilling cookbooks.

It's rare that you find just any Joe Schmoe who can grill great food from day 1. I've been trying to get good at it now for 5 years and I still have a long way to go... and I even grill sometimes in the off season, in the snow! Others (unlike me) have been taught by other grill jockeys like friends and relatives. My dad didn't grill much and most of the (bad) information I got were from wannabe grill jockeys. You somewaht have to find your own groove, and I still have to find mine. There ahve been times when I've produced simply awesome steaks and other times dried them out and had to saw them with a serrated knife.

Best advice I can give though for anybody interested:
-Never stab the food while on the grill, use tongs to turn it.
-Don't turn the food too much.
-Keep the grates clean and season them before/after grilling (rub some cooking oil on the grates)
-Learn the difference between direct and indirect grilling.
-Keep the dern lid closed.
-Learn good temperature control. (Wind + charcoal = hotter temps. wind + propane = cooler temps)
-Make sure the meat is always dry (no water) before grilling (this will end up steaming the meat instead of searing).
-Let meat sit at room temp for 30 mins before grilling and don't put salt on the meat until 5 min or less before grilling.

I could go on and on, but these are some of the tips that have really made a difference for me. A lot of people may already know them, but I had to learn the hard way.