Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad idea?

Well, I'm back from a little posting hiatus... for those of you that don't remember me, I had an '01 F4i that I sold last fall to get a mustang. Well, obviously, I've been in hardcore riding withdraw since I sold it.

Anyway, I was thinking the other day... is it a terrible idea to see if I can find someone willing to trade a 600 for my mustang? My friend is getting quite a bit of money from an accident settlement, and he said he's going to give me $1000 just to be his friend. I figure for $1000, I could probably find a half-decent winter beater. If I don't trade the mustang for the bike, it'll be a while (read: next year) before I could even start thinking about getting another bike.

But here's my logic: the bike will get literally over double the fuel economy my mustang gets. It'll cost literally half the money to insure with the same coverage, and maintenance will be a little cheaper. At any rate, I'm thinking either another cbr600 (f4i or RR), an R6, or a ZX-6R... but I have a few things to take care of on the mustang before anyone in their right minds would consider trading a bike for it straight-up, so I have a few weeks to think about it before I start making offers lol

Anyway, what's everyone's opinions on this?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 PM

$1000 for being his "friend"??? whew....(cold chills).....Having a bike is good, but I think I'd want him to define "being a friend" lol

Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM

lol no homo

Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 PM

I dont think its so crazy. You'd be amazed at how many people buy motorcycles on impulse only to find out its for them. Those people are generally speed freak type people, and your mustang might be just what someone is looking for. In an economy that is as bad as this one, nothing is selling. So a trade is more in your favor.

Just be honest about how much your car is worth and how much the bike is worth. I've found out in the past when people want to trade, they think what they have is worth a ton and your stuff isnt worth anything.

If it were me, I'd try to keep both. Im not a mustang fan, but its nice to have a fast car and a fast bike. Here in michigan anyway, the weather isnt always suited for riding, even in the summer.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Protip: Do not be friends with people who pay for friendship.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 AM
June 2011 ROTM

A good website to find a trade is mautofied.com There are tons of people with bikes trying to trade for cars

Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Tell your friend to keep the $1000. Youd be retarded to accept that.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as transportation, a bike isn't a substitute for a car just because it can't carry as much, and there are weather conditions, like icy or snowy roads, when you could drive but not ride. But those kinds of situations might only happen a few days a year, and you could either just stay off the road, take the train or bus, or rent a car/van.

Personally I have no interest in paying to buy, register, insure and maintain a car that I would hardly ever need. I'd rather ride than drive, and if I absolutely need four wheels I just go to the Enterprise rental place a couple blocks fom my house, or call a cab.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Mustangs suck anyways, so no big loss, no offense. Heh
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I'd rather own a Kia Sephia than a "stang."

Quick Reply: Bad idea?