Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
I went to school for aviation mechanics. I volunteered at the mesa wing of the confederate air force before they were forced to be all PC and change the name. I have about 10hrs of fixed wing training and I've flown a robinson R22 helicopter once. My entire childhood was dedicated to being a F14 pilot until they told me asthma ment I could never be in the military.
I myself hate the F4, but to each his own. It WAS a great plane, I can't take that away. I get weak in the knees for WW2 planes myself. Im a piston engine kind of guy, although I would take a F14 over anything else on the planet and would kill many people to have a huey helicopter.

LOL...if you were a real aviation buff, you would've used the term 'recip' (for reciprocating engines).

Joking aside.
I went to Middle TN St Univ for an Aerospace Admin degree in '92. Unfortunately I didn't get the degree and would up joining the Marines instead, where I worked in I.T. data systems rather than aviation.
Due to my color vision deficiency, I was not qualified for most aviation MOSes.
That worked out ok for me as I'm doing well in an I.T. job at the moment.

I do have about 23 hours (~9 solo) in a Cessna 152. I wanted to get my licenses but the training was just too expensive for me at the time.

Favorite armed military airplane. A-10 hands down. The AC-130 Spectre gunship is a close second.
Used to be nuts for the F-14 as well, though the F-15 is my favorite fighter jet.
Like corrupt says, why do you not like the F-4? It's rather mean looking plane.
You might already know this but the F-4 was the Navy's designated fleet defense platform before the F-14 replaced it.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike
Favorite armed military airplane. A-10 hands down.
you got that right.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do admit I like the hog. Definitely a purpose built machine - not meant to look pretty!

Anyone here flight sim on the computer? I remember my first combat flight simulator - Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Thinking the graphics and game play was so good. Now I scoff at it - it doesn't even have yaw control! I enjoy FSX, but I reserve in the back of my mind about how poor of a flight model it has. I have just got XPlane 10, but I haven't really figured it out yet. All I can tell is the flight model on that one is very good.

Not long ago I got my hands on a copy of DCS A-10 Simulator. Having never tried any of eagle dynamics simulators before, I was in for a shock. That thing is bloody complicated! Put it this way, on FSX, to start a jet aircraft up, you just press Ctrl - E. Done. On the A-10 simulator, it takes a 25 minute tutorial, with 40+ steps required! I love realism, but this is to a new level. The "flight manual" is almost 700 pages long.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM

The only thing that puzzles me about the A-10 is that the Marines never got it. The A-10 and the USMC is a freakin match made in heaven.
As cool as the Harrier is, I'd take an A-10 over it any day.

Yes I know the gear wasn't carrier rated but c'mon, carrier ready landing gear could've easily been retrofitted onto this beast.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AV8 is an annoying air frame. So loud. Almost as bad as the EA6. A10 all the way.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM

I have been in Aviation for some time now, and to me the greatest Fighter is the F-15.