Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

attention new riders

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: attention new riders

i learned how to ride without the course...im still learning..but i really dont think the course can teach you anything an experienced rider cant...especially a sportbike rider....those courses (at least around here) usually have you on cruisers that dont have much power...throttle responses are different..brakes are different...the whole feel is different...id rather learn on my own on a bike im actually gonna be riding so i can get a feel for how it is....i dunno...i hear a lot of preaching about the MSF course..which i agree for some people it really is a good choice.. but for me i would only use it to get my license. going around in circle in a parking lot really slow wouldnt teach me anything...except how to go in circles in a parking lot really slow. sure...you wipe out...thats a given....everyone is bound to have some sort of wreck whether they are just learning or not...or whether they took the class or not...my b/f never took the class and he's never had a problem..though he knows hes not immune to wrecking he knows it just comes with the territory of this sport...

i dunno..not tryin to start fights or anything..i just think the class thing should be your own decision..some people learn better in that setting..some people dont..and for all we know..that guy could have taken the class..and he just wrecked anyways...or its not even his bike and his friend was just stupid enough to let him on it without any prior instruction....:shrugs: thats just me opinion on it though

Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 PM
oNi

I think what javscbr meant about teaching yourself is a bad idea, is that if you don't have someone to teach you or take the msf class and try learning on your own something like this will happen. It's pretty obvious that was the guys first time on it/trying to ride it. I'm not saying everyone has to take the msf class, but if your in a situation like Jennay and have someone to teach you, that works too, but I really don't see either being the case for this guy. Someone teaching you or the msf class would have taught him the basics and he showed no basic skill at all.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:39 PM

i agree...it was like he had absolutely no idea what to do...i mean..common sense would tell you..if you are coming up to a curb either turn away..or stop...it was like he didnt know how to do either...he just kept goin straight...my very first time ever even sitting on the bike i knew some common sense ...im actually more surprised he didnt give it too much throttle and let the clutch out fast ...helloooo wheelie ahaha

Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Retired Moderator

I don't think you can EVER get enough education, and that goes for any topic. My opinion is that learning form another rider is great, learning "on the job" at a slow rate is great, msf courses are great. Do you ever want to stop learning how to protect yourself?

Old 10-26-2006, 01:20 PM

funny $hit. You cant do what you dont know, but you can allways try. i waNNa see more...

Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 PM

i love that video. i had a couple people that i was trying to learn how to ride do that on my dirtbike.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

He was looking at the tach the whole time...good thing he didn't stall it, that would have been terrible.

ive noticed a lot of guys just learning to ride in their 40s on up, and some think that they are immune to beginner mistakes because they are older, and only kids on sportbiks get hurt on motorcycles.
Us old guys are pretty dopey. I like when we buy Harleys and don't wear helmets.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:18 AM

New Bike = $9,000 Sweet new Nikes = $100 Camera = $400.. Watching your squid friend crash his motorcycle that he shouldnt even be on in the first place = Priceless