Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone ever have any success w/ quitting smoking??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently quitting....I haven't had one in 26 days today...I was about a 4 pack a week smoker...I've been getting headaches, and I am coughing up stuff a lot more now than I was when I was smoking, but that should all go away...I'm trying to do it cold turkey...the hardest time is when I'm with my friends because they all smoke, and thats when it's the hardest to say no, so when they go out to smoke I usually call someone to talk which keeps my mind off of it.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 74demon
Here is estates thread on the subject from last year. It apparently worked.. https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...ilures-131194/

Put your daily cig money in a jar instead of buying smokes. In less than 3 months, you will have enough to buy a new helmet that doesn't stink. Then keep saving for parts and gear. Your bike is your filthy habit now...

Estate, you earned your helmet, right?
I've earn the helmet, the icon overlord leather jacket, and importantly, better health. It's a habit more than anything.

When was the last time you play a game of pick up basketball? Say 3 on three.....I've had a chance to play few weeks back, I was surprise I can keep going....say 10 years ago when I was smoking a pack a day, when ever I play basketball, feels like my lung collapsing! Can't catch my breath.

Originally Posted by zoomman113
I am currently quitting....I haven't had one in 26 days today...I was about a 4 pack a week smoker...I've been getting headaches, and I am coughing up stuff a lot more now than I was when I was smoking, but that should all go away...I'm trying to do it cold turkey...the hardest time is when I'm with my friends because they all smoke, and thats when it's the hardest to say no, so when they go out to smoke I usually call someone to talk which keeps my mind off of it.
Keep going man...it took me 3-6 months to really not think about it....just keep busy. When ever you want one, find something to do!

Originally Posted by Missynet
Ouh and since I gathered many kilos on those months witch scares me a bit I did healthy eating at the same time (many times a day not big amounts) cause with smoking I only eat once a day. Still fighting a year later to get those off... 80% lost from what I gained
I was researching worlds healthiest food....surprisingly it's Korean's KIM CHI....seriously. Google it...go on a Kim Chi diet and you'll loose some for sure.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-24-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Here is estates thread on the subject from last year. It apparently worked.. https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...ilures-131194/

Put your daily cig money in a jar instead of buying smokes. In less than 3 months, you will have enough to buy a new helmet that doesn't stink. Then keep saving for parts and gear. Your bike is your filthy habit now...

Estate, you earned your helmet, right?
some post certainly grab my attention,
"74demon" your awesome, this particular post of your's practically slapped me in the face.. well put, even though it originated elsewhere, it was just perfect..
anyone wanting to quit smoking in this forum just needs one small quote to live by: Your bike is your filthy habit now.. and really, thats all that needs to be said!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 AM

I cant give much good input. but Ive stopped except for the occasional golfing cigar, or at a party.. my biggest problem is ive resorted to dipping. I work outside doing lawn/ landscape so it just became a habbit to throw in a pinch while working outside.. it all started with baseball and working on a farm with everyone who did it. I currently am right now .. Im studying for class and just became habbit to always have one in while studying, working, driving, riding motorcycle, and anything outside. its addicting and bad for you and as others have mentioned expensive $$. I think if you started to dip it would feed that nicotine craving and help you stop smoking. but it is another bad habbit.. The way I look at it it is a little better (probly not, just my thought), you dont smell like smoke, its not bad for lungs, only bad for gums.. while smoking is bad for both.
Im NOT promoting one bad habbit over the other. just inputing what helped me

Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

...even though it originated elsewhere

Really? Where? I can't say I've seen that before....

If it makes a positive impact on your life, then it doesn't matter who said it first. Only matters that it's in your head and touching your soul when you need it most.

Good luck to all of you that want to change habits!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry 74demon, i thought you qouted it from estates thread, sorry didnt read his thread just yours.. well it anyway its a good way of putting it... its def the truth and for most people they wont have to hide most of they're secret motocycle purchases from they're better half once they get rid of a very expensive habit like smoking..
goodluck to everyone who's trying..

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-24-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: language
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have quit many habits:

1. Drinking- ever woke up one day after a night of partying and said to yourself, where in the world are you? How did you get here and where is your car? Did you drive last night.... Scary cause drinking itself don't kill you that easy, but it's the things you do after drinking gets you in trouble.

2. Smoking. Goes with drinking, goes with one after a meal. Morning coffee...break time. It's all habits. Having one with a friend. You just have you say no...I've quit. At the end of the day when you go home to bed, who's going to care if you smoke or not.

Gambling. This is really addicting...I'm 4 hours away from LV. It's a rush & you can play for days. Goes with drinking and smoking.....quit that!

So quit smoking is a change in lifestyle...

Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM

COLD TURKEY!!! only way to go. otherwise i feel it makes slipping lil to tempting. I quit a few years ago, and granted i only smoked for about 7 yrs but i smoked pack a day and dipped at work and stopped cold turkey. main thing is that YOU HAVE to want to stop for you and only for you. good luck

Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TF04F4I
COLD TURKEY!!! only way to go. otherwise i feel it makes slipping lil to tempting. I quit a few years ago, and granted i only smoked for about 7 yrs but i smoked pack a day and dipped at work and stopped cold turkey. main thing is that YOU HAVE to want to stop for you and only for you. good luck
True. I always quit for a day or two and then somehow talk myself in to smoking one last cig. Then that turns into two and three and eventually buying a pack again saying the hell with it. I asscoaite so much with smoking. Eating coffee driving in my car. I need a sold week locked in a room or put into a bubble.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Smoking has nothing to do with any of those things. It shouldn't be too hard to break the link. You obviously can ride your bike without smoking, so why not the car? You can drink water without smoking, so why not coffee? Why would you destroy the flavor combination of a properly cooked meal with a cig? I put too much effort into my cooking (a hobby of mine, you should try it) to ruin your taste buds with poisons.
Just quit. Don't even have one. In short order you won't want one anymore. You will see how disgusting it is.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have any success w/ quitting smoking??