Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone ever have any success w/ quitting smoking??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever have any success w/ quitting smoking??

So I've tried quitting a few times. I was able to cut down from a pack a day to around 4 a day. But that only lasted a few days then I was back. I tried the electronic ones but that only lasted a short while too. Anyone have any success with quiting?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 PM

my father smoked 2 packs a day for many years. he took that chantix pill and completely quit in 2 weeks. he didnt have any problems with it like some people do, so it worked for him nicely.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lot of success. I quit every night.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
I have a lot of success. I quit every night.

Haha yea I hear that

Originally Posted by Dirtrider009
my father smoked 2 packs a day for many years. he took that chantix pill and completely quit in 2 weeks. he didnt have any problems with it like some people do, so it worked for him nicely.
My mom tried that and it made her sick whenever she took it. So I've been staying away from it.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-24-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 09-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

stay the hell away from chantix, my roommate almost killed himself because of it - it really messed with him.

i was smoking over a pack a day and i quit. i just up and did it. no gum, no patch, no pills, no therapy. if you want to quit, you can do it. you just have to believe you're above it and do it. i left town on for a 4 day weekend when i quit. that helped a lot. i wasn't around any of my friends that smoked.

it's been about 4 years now.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First, start exercising...get informations about the harms smoking does to your body. Once you focused on living healthy, quit smoking is easy. In addition, imagine the money you'll save each month for not smoking. Smoking is more of a habit....I've been smoking since I'm 15...20+ years...took me many tries...it's okay to fall off the wagon. Don't give up...keep going....if you excerise, you'll feel you lungs like collapsing...then you'll know how bad it is. And the smell...and the taking 5min smoking breaks..bad habit. Save time, money, and health.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
stay the hell away from chantix, my roommate almost killed himself because of it - it really messed with him.

i was smoking over a pack a day and i quit. i just up and did it. no gum, no patch, no pills, no therapy. if you want to quit, you can do it. you just have to believe you're above it and do it. i left town on for a 4 day weekend when i quit. that helped a lot. i wasn't around any of my friends that smoked.

it's been about 4 years now.
Yea I bet that helped a ton. That's pretty much how I got sober. Just left town. Now I have over two years clean. Smoking is the last bad habit I'm trying to kick. I'm gonna sooner or later.

Originally Posted by estate4life
First, start exercising...get informations about the harms smoking does to your body. Once you focused on living healthy, quit smoking is easy. In addition, imagine the money you'll save each month for not smoking. Smoking is more of a habit....I've been smoking since I'm 15...20+ years...took me many tries...it's okay to fall off the wagon. Don't give up...keep going....if you excerise, you'll feel you lungs like collapsing...then you'll know how bad it is. And the smell...and the taking 5min smoking breaks..bad habit. Save time, money, and health.
That's exactly what I did. I joined the gym last week and started going but its been an up and down thing with the smoking. I know I can do it though. A lot of people have so I'm sure I can too. Big mind game. I heard once you get thru five or seven days all the cravings and what not disappear.

In the gym I Can deff fell my lungs straining

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-24-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Here is estates thread on the subject from last year. It apparently worked.. https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...ilures-131194/

Put your daily cig money in a jar instead of buying smokes. In less than 3 months, you will have enough to buy a new helmet that doesn't stink. Then keep saving for parts and gear. Your bike is your filthy habit now...

Estate, you earned your helmet, right?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Here is estates thread on the subject from last year. It apparently worked.. https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...ilures-131194/

Put your daily cig money in a jar instead of buying smokes. In less than 3 months, you will have enough to buy a new helmet that doesn't stink. Then keep saving for parts and gear. Your bike is your filthy habit now...

Yeas especially because cigs are 7 bucks a pack. Hate it! It would help save money too cause every week I'm buying bike stuff. Gotta quittt

Originally Posted by 74demon

Thanks for the link too. Lots of good stuff on there.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-24-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 AM

I guess it comes down to a will and wanting...
I quitted last summer for the first time for 3 months with help of chewing gums.
Came down to the path where I had one non smoker friend who liked smoking when she was drunk (like her mom, strange , something I cant get) and so somehow visiting her got me so far that started again on weekends and then dayly again. But 3 months for me was a very big deal. Cant quit in winter time But If that will comes over me to stop then I will take that chance! At the moment I am good as I am... Since In my opinion medicine and all those things dont help mutch. You need to have a will and wanting. My coworker stopped 3 yrs ago and still chews the gums like hell. He said that otherwise he gets too mutch pissed off. Nicotine calms him.

I am just waiting my moment to come to grab the chance... But good luck anyway, I do support quitters and respect for those who never started. Me --- I was young and started with very very wrong reasons

Ouh and since I gathered many kilos on those months witch scares me a bit I did healthy eating at the same time (many times a day not big amounts) cause with smoking I only eat once a day. Still fighting a year later to get those off... 80% lost from what I gained

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-24-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Merged back to back posts

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have any success w/ quitting smoking??