Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone ever been to the MotoGP race in Indy?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever been to the MotoGP race in Indy?

I have been wanting to go to a race forever now and it looks like this is finally my year to go.

My main question(and its a hard one) for those that have been is where is the best spot to pick for seating?

I thought maybe just the main stands for the start/finish line but I am kinda leaning on picking a curve now. Not sure tho that's way I need input from people who have been.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i'd think you'd want to be as high up as possible in order to see that most track you can - and since the grand stands at indy are made to be able to see the entire oval, i'd say as high up in the grandstands by the start/finish or just after there would be your best bet. i've been to indy, but not for GP. good luck going there - i've dreamt about going to see GP since i started following it.

does anyone know if they'll have GP at Indy next year? if so, i need to really try and get to indy this year.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear this might be the last year for the GP @ Indy. I'm gonna see about taking a ride out there. Might be a nice time to plan a US CBRF meetup as Indy is somewhat centrally located in the US.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
I hear this might be the last year for the GP @ Indy. I'm gonna see about taking a ride out there. Might be a nice time to plan a US CBRF meetup as Indy is somewhat centrally located in the US.
that was my fear now that they are at CoTA. with me moving to NC, that looks like it may be my only option...

Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
Wow had no idea they were thinking about moving the race. That makes me want to pre-order tickets ASAP.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by daniels
Wow had no idea they were thinking about moving the race. That makes me want to pre-order tickets ASAP.
it's a pretty ****ty track surface from what i hear most riders saying. it's dirty, the surfaces are too different, it causes too many tire issues, etc. i mean, you can see rubber pellets outlining the race line on the entire track.

now that there is CoTA and with laguna being one of the most recognized tracks in the world, i don't know why they'd have more than 2 races in the USA when motogp isn't near as popular here as it is in europe

Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM

I got J stand tix for the 3 days. Bought them for my son's 18th b-day (and me I had the same question before I bought my tix and did a ton of searches. Some of it is personal preference. I was told that the j stands are excellent. You see the most turns there. It is also a passing area and many of the crashes happen around there. You don't have any Obstructions (posts) like some of the grandstand seats. Go on their web site and you can get a really good idea from the virtual views. I don't know what kind of seats you would get now though. I made sure I got them a long time ago.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work across the street from the Indy 500 track and live 6 minute from the track/work.

You can pay extra for reserved seating, but the best seats in in turn 4 of the 500 Race track(not Gp turn 4), are general admission. You get to see all the twisties right in front of you. My wife and I and a few friends have battled being sun-drenched for 4 years now and not going to move this year. We saw Rossi go down 3 years ago there. That is our spot with the best action!

I am having a Moto-Gp party at my house Saturday night. Alcohol, firepit, food, bike talk. Like I said, I am very close to the track. Send me a PM and I will send you a invite via FB.

There is plenty to do and party from Thursday night to Sunday Afternoon here in Indy(god knows, we will be showing others around to all the sights). If you need a place to crash for the weekend, I have some floor or sofa space you can surf(2400 sq. ft. house). Just help out with alcohol is all we ask. 3 car garage, so your bike will be safe.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM

I have been to Indy twice & I would say Stand A or B as high up as possible. The 1st year we go soaked in the rain, so I recommend the stands with cover, just in case. You can always roam around in the General Admissions areas. There are several monitors to watch the race the few places its out of sight. If you could wait, I'd recommend COTA vs Indy. The nice part of Indy is its small & you can see most of the track, similar to Dayton, if you been to the Daytona 200. COTA is a true road course, facilities are AWESOME!

Yes, MotoGP is looking to spread the venues around the world & there was a rumor, that the US having 3 races & I think Spain 2 or 3 is too much, with only 1 in Asia & Russia & India wanting some races there. They will cut a race or expand the number of races. I vote expand!!!

Last edited by CYCDUP; 07-29-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM

underground-mpyre, hats off to you! Thats AWESOME you're being a true Ambassador to the city. I did enjoy Indy's hospitality when I was there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever been to the MotoGP race in Indy?