CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Anybody ever gone Geocaching? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/anybody-ever-gone-geocaching-111285/)

K7inne09 05-27-2010 04:37 PM

Anybody ever gone Geocaching?

My mom was telling me she has a friend at work that does this thing and it sounded kind of interesting...There is a website geocaching.com where clues are given as well as GPS Coordinates and there are little "treasure box" type things hidden around the world (something like 1 million+ geocaches) with miscellaneous items in them and if you take something from the box you must replace it with something of equal or greater value...Its literally like a real life treasure hunt...I dont know how I feel about it but one day when I have nothing going on I might give it a shot...Anybody ever heard of/ tried this sort of thing??:icon_shrug:

kowen1208 05-27-2010 06:32 PM

I've been on a couple of short, easy geocaches. It's pretty fun, kinda like the coast-to-coast challenge that we tried to get going on here. There are some that you can pretty much just drive right up to and others that require days of hiking into the mountains to find.

77vetteguy 05-27-2010 09:25 PM

I used to do it everyonce in awhile. Although I turned into a geocaching pirate. When I found one with something good in it I took the item and left the can empty.

kilgoretrout 05-27-2010 09:41 PM

I've never done it. It sounds interesting, tho.

So what kinda stuff are we talking about here? Like what's in the boxes?
Just wondering what people have found.

I used to do it everyonce in awhile. Although I turned into a geocaching pirate. When I found one with something good in it I took the item and left the can empty.
That's pretty chitty, dude. :icon_doh:

77vetteguy 05-27-2010 09:47 PM

Thats why I make a good pirate. I don't care.

kowen1208 05-27-2010 09:47 PM

Most of the time is just random odds and ends type stuff. One that I did had a baseball in it and we left a wind-up alarm clock.

K7inne09 05-28-2010 05:17 PM

Lol a geocaching pirate...THATS AWESOME. The chick my mom knows apparently found a 25$ gift card to a restaurant...Id Pirate that ASAP...Yeah I thought it sounded interesting too so I'm gunna give her a shot.

canhead64 05-28-2010 06:28 PM

i've done it a few times. pretty fun, not your every weekend kinda thing but if you live in the city it will definately get you out and driving in the country which is where most of the ones i have seen are.

i live in the country so i was lookin online and i saw one on our property line and walked over and signed the list!

kilgoretrout 05-28-2010 08:02 PM

Oh yeah, I get it now. Sure... you're really cool.
The honor system with no honor.

Yeah, whether you care or not, it's still chitty imo.
Because I could see someone getting into this with their kids or something.... and going to the trouble of finding an empty box and then never wanting to do it again.

77vetteguy 05-28-2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 927016)
Oh yeah, I get it now. Sure... you're really cool.
The honor system with no honor.

Yeah, whether you care or not, it's still chitty imo.
Because I could see someone getting into this with their kids or something.... and going to the trouble of finding an empty box and then never wanting to do it again.

There is no honor among theives. Besides its suposed to be about the thrill of the hunt. Not whats inside.

crashndent 05-28-2010 09:56 PM

and

so leave something, id say anything but you dont seem to have much forethought so leave anything thats descent. some people DO geochache with their kids and my kids have fun even if they're just finding a friggin golfball its better than an empty can.
Bottom line, don't be a turd

kilgoretrout 05-28-2010 10:34 PM

There is no honor among theives. Besides its suposed to be about the thrill of the hunt. Not whats inside.
If it's about the thrill of the hunt, then why do people put anything in the boxes to begin with? Would you go out looking for empty boxes?

BTW, have you ever seen an honor system where say.... there's a cup for you to put 50cents in for coffee? Or one of those boxes of fundraiser candy bars where you take one and put a dollar in it's place? Or how about a roadside stand where you just put the money in the box? Ever seen one of those?
Do you steal that stuff, too?

Come to think of it..... the CBRF classifieds are based on an honor system. Would you steal people's money if you thought you could get away with it?

You've forced me to wonder. Because you're either a thief like you say.... or you're a troll.
So which is it?

jpanside@gmail.com 05-28-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 77vetteguy (Post 926645)

:icon_doh:

lol what a low life

K7inne09 05-29-2010 07:21 AM

I seriously probably wouldn't steal anything I kind of still don't believe there's little treasure boxes hidden all around...apparently you sign some log too

Shadow 05-29-2010 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 77vetteguy

I'm with Kilgoretrout on this one.
Some people have no honor.
I wouldn't ride with you.

You make us all look bad.:icon_urinal:

77vetteguy 05-29-2010 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 927233)
Originally Posted by 77vetteguy

I'm with Kilgoretrout on this one.
Some people have no honor.
I wouldn't ride with you.

You make us all look bad.:icon_urinal:

Why? Because I take pennies out of a medicine bottle? Jeeze its not like I'm robbing a bank. Relax, you'll live longer. By the way. How am I a troll kilgore? Your the one that started this. Sounds like your the troll here.

__Z__ 05-29-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 77vetteguy (Post 927286)
Why? Because I take pennies out of a medicine bottle? Jeeze its not like I'm robbing a bank. Relax, you'll live longer. By the way. How am I a troll kilgore? Your the one that started this. Sounds like your the troll here.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional responseor of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun “troll” can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted

pretty sure kilgor didnt post any response hoping to start something.... you did...

you must not enjoy your membership here bc pissing off mods makes sure u dont last a long time

__Z__ 05-29-2010 02:17 PM

on a side not... how ba would it be if this forum started on of these things?

a section with a map, or pics, or a gps location of a random motorcycle item? when someone takes the item they must replace it with one of their own? This would be cool bc I have some extra parts I wouldnt mind trading lol....

JHouse 05-29-2010 03:56 PM

If you go to a cache to see what's there, someone did that favor for you. Can't you afford to do that small favor for the next guy? You aren't stealing from the guy who left it, but from the next guy who finds it. And you aren't stealing stuff, your are stealing trust.

No shame? No conscience? No empathy? No pride? No honor?

kilgoretrout 05-29-2010 07:55 PM

on a side note... how bad would it be if this forum started one of these things?
I think it would be pretty cool, Z, until people like 77vette started stealing the stuff. That's the death of many of these hunts from what I've read. :icon_doh:

Downplaying it is fine, if that's how you want to be. (although you even flat out said you steal the good stuff.... :icon_rolleyes:)

I gave you some other examples of petty theft, too. (honor system coffee, candy, etc). These aren't robbing a bank, either, but they're examples of chitty behavior, imo (and anyone elses with half a conscience).

Geocaching is a game... meant to be a family game.... and stealing the caches from the game is chitty. I don't care if it's a toy soldier or a dam rubber ball.... you just don't do it.

My kid has more dignity than that and he's 11. (He can argue better, too)

And I didn't start anything.... I simply called you out for being a dick.
I don't want people thinking it's cool when it's not.

__Z__ 05-29-2010 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 927360)
I think it would be pretty cool, Z, until people like 77vette started stealing the stuff. That's the death of many of these hunts from what I've read. :icon_doh:

This is true :icon_doh: and unfortunately there are prolly a few around here like such...

Shadow 05-29-2010 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 77vetteguy (Post 927286)

Unfortunately, he won't be able to reply for around 10 days.............pehaps he's gone geocaching..............:icon_shrug:

kilgoretrout 05-29-2010 10:04 PM

Unfortunately, he won't be able to reply for around 10 days.............pehaps he's gone geocaching..............:icon_shrug:
Stop!.......... Hammer time! :icon_banana:

__Z__ 05-29-2010 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 927406)
Stop!.......... Hammer time! :icon_banana:

:icon_laugh:
lol this comment makes u my hero hahahahahahahahaha holy crap I def. just started laughing and the distressed in pain wife (attempting to sleep) gave me the death glare :icon_shrug:

JHouse 05-30-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 927385)

I was wondering how this was going to go.

And speaking of pretty far off topic:

Here is something to ponder. What if science could identify the brain pattern which appeared uniquely immediately as an act of violence against another person was about to occur. Then they figured out how to connect an instant temporary paralytic response to that pattern. So as soon as you moved the first muscle to commit a violent act against a person, you conked out long enough for the victim to walk off, and they would because this would identify what was about to happen. How cool would that be? There wouldn't be much point in trying thereafter would there?

Deeper: why aren't we all irreversibly made that way from the outset?

andyriot 05-30-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by JHouse (Post 927493)

Deeper: I wonder how over-populated we would be if there were no violence/killing/jails/etc. Also, if we couldnt commit crimes then whats the use of authoritys? Or are you saying specifically for violents acts against another person? What about someone who commits a crime not directly violent against someone, but the results of it in turn effect a person? (ie: vetteguy)

Shadow 05-30-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JHouse (Post 927493)
I was wondering how this was going to go.

And speaking of pretty far off topic:

Here is something to ponder. What if science could identify the brain pattern which appeared uniquely immediately as an act of violence against another person was about to occur. Then they figured out how to connect an instant temporary paralytic response to that pattern. So as soon as you moved the first muscle to commit a violent act against a person, you conked out long enough for the victim to walk off, and they would because this would identify what was about to happen. How cool would that be? There wouldn't be much point in trying thereafter would there?

"Minority Report"..................................:)
Waiting for Big Brother to find some empaths........:eek:

Fearless4x4 05-30-2010 03:39 PM

Am I the only one who finds it mildly amusing to watch someone begin to nibble on the cheese of the hammer trap....

Starts out with a semi-off color comment but still has a chance to recoupe and let it go...

.....but no......

Always have have the last word... and the cheese runs out and ends up takin a big chunk of hammer to the cranium.

I find it amusing... hehehe. Kudos to the mods!