CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Any Winter riders (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/any-winter-riders-142220/)

butcherspencil 10-01-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CommonMistake (Post 1195378)
Cool. I fancy some of those myself but I first need to look under some rocks for any hidden money!

Tried down the back of the sofa? If I can find a pair that fit I'll let you know if I think they're worth the money or not.

Originally Posted by Dave_Wales (Post 1195438)
I will be riding this winter, i wont have to every day though. I'm using an er500 to get to work on at the minute but i will have to change the tyres as in the wet they are awful, they slip and slide and do not inspire confidence at all :(

D: They've got pretty skinny tires too, haven't they? I'm looking forwards to stepping up to a bigger bike for the sake of having more contact with the road. I'm sure a lot of it is psychological, but the thought of being a little more solidly planted is a nice one. Ride safe!

CommonMistake 10-01-2012 05:27 PM

Not sure if it is all psychological I had a friend who rode a scooter and he gave it up because he was for ever falling off in the wet and I've never had that problem, sure traction is not as good but thats to be expected. I think its a combination of more road contact and extra weight that help in that respect.

C Jacob W 10-01-2012 08:41 PM

I ride in all weather all year, but the rain this fall has been killing me. If i give it too much gas the back tire will just spin on me, and its not even that wet. Maybe i need a new tire haha

CTcbr929 10-01-2012 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GPZlindy63 (Post 1194989)
I had a KLR 650 last winter, rode all winter. I installed heated grips on that bike. I am planning on trying to ride this winter, it will be a judgement call from day to day, depending on ice, snow and how salty the roads are.
I just bought a heated vest, just have to install the power port for it to plug in to.
Lets see how the weather goes this year.

Originally Posted by Hueristic (Post 1195031)
I did when I lived in FLorida but in RI your gonna be buried for a good part of the winter. :(

Thats what I'm saying I feel like the North East is going to get hit hard this winter..

CTcbr929 10-01-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by C Jacob W (Post 1195576)
I ride in all weather all year, but the rain this fall has been killing me. If i give it too much gas the back tire will just spin on me, and its not even that wet. Maybe i need a new tire haha

Maybe you need a new tire but also make sure the tire pressure is correct

cc rider 10-01-2012 10:03 PM

U guys that live in the south where it is warm in the winter are so lucky. Especially Florida. I would kill 2 have it 80 year round. I live in this dump called rochester NY. If it wasnt for my great paying job , I would b gone. This summer when it was in the 90s I wore my leather with no complaints. I wouldnt even have a car if i lived in florida.

Dave_Wales 10-02-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by butcherspencil
D: They've got pretty skinny tires too, haven't they? I'm looking forwards to stepping up to a bigger bike for the sake of having more contact with the road. I'm sure a lot of it is psychological, but the thought of being a little more solidly planted is a nice one. Ride safe!

its got a 120 on the front and a 130 on the rear but its only got cheap tyres on it so its to be expected i guess, but it will get me through the winter until the cbr's ready :)

Brandon Henson 10-02-2012 07:50 AM

I ride straight through the winter gets pretty cold but I wear poly pro and poly pro face mask and I also install my heated handgrips during the winter keeps hands nice and warm best thing I've bought for winter riding

CommonMistake 10-02-2012 08:40 AM

does that not put extra strain on the battery?

Mattson 10-02-2012 11:11 AM

Got an idea on my way home and stopped at this outdoors/trekking shop to buy a few of these:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...bfRauPoTcyIE8Q

These are the one-time disposable models cause the ones that can be boiled and re-used haven`t arrived yet, have to wait till next month for them. Don`t want to invest 150e in a heated vest cause I doubt I`ll be riding enough to justify the buy, but if I slip one or two of these lil pads on the inside pockets of my jacket they should be able to warm me enough, and since they were only 2,50/pair it won`t matter much even if they don`t. Propably going to try them out tomorrow if only it won`t rain, has been for quite some time now and seems to focus around 4:30-6:30. Take a wild guess when I`ll be driving to work...

Bugkiller 10-02-2012 04:08 PM

all year (maybe)

Well this year I will try as last year to ride all year but I must confess I gave up when it snowed.

Heated grips are great but so are lots of good layers......

Knackie (aka Li'l Bear) 10-03-2012 04:02 PM

live to ride, ride to live.. i ride in any weather.. we dont get snow here, but it does get below zero, and we get plenty of rain and wind..

i dont have a car licence, never have even gone for the thing.. and never want to. i love riding in the rain, especially when its really sheeting down, so the wind goes away, and youre so cold it starts feeling warm again..

i often chase thunderheads, i love lightning.. i was lucky enough to be riding through Vic, on the M80 from Sunshine (ironic name in light of the story lol) to St Albans, and the weather closed in hard.. had several inches of water on the road at times, and have a photo somewhere of my bike parked at the kirb with water past her axle!

but riding that road.. the rain sheeting down, and the thunder.. lightning sliting the sky and at one point even striking the powerlines on the side of the road.. it was like riding into the apocalypse.. and my pillion and i were both laughing. that was a good day. :)

But then there is those days youre cutting up the twisties, and it starts to dribble.. and you have to back off.. now, THAT, drives me nuts..

Knackie (aka Li'l Bear) 10-03-2012 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here you go, a couple of shots of the roads that day :)

Hueristic 10-03-2012 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Knackie (aka Li'l Bear) (Post 1195910)
here you go, a couple of shots of the roads that day :)

Looks like fun! :icon_hyper::icon_hyper::icon_hyper: :icon_nut: :icon_crackup:

Actually looks like the stream that I hit in the tornado that wiped me.

Knackie (aka Li'l Bear) 10-03-2012 11:18 PM

trick is to have a pillion. helps stop the aqua planing lol
and your brakes, not so much.. i just went slow and rode with my feet in the water for drag :)

it doesnt usually get THAT bad here though.. i think that was a fluke.. though, maybe its just Victoria.

butcherspencil 10-06-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mattson (Post 1195727)
Got an idea on my way home and stopped at this outdoors/trekking shop to buy a few of these:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...bfRauPoTcyIE8Q

These are the one-time disposable models cause the ones that can be boiled and re-used haven`t arrived yet, have to wait till next month for them.

+1 on this! I sat my CBT in February and had only managed to find one pair of summer gloves that fit my hands. The riding school had been out that morning chipping ice off the training track with spades. I bought a 2 pack of small sized disposeable heat pads and stuck one to the backs of both my hands and put the gloves on top. It worked pretty well.

I went into Go Outdoors yesterday looking for those silk glove liners and apparently they are part of the skiing range that didn't come in until xmas time last year. I ended up spending £80+ on some thermal baselayers anyway as I love that shop just a little bit too much.

I'm just hoping for another dry winter.

Mattson 10-06-2012 03:43 PM

Haven`t had the chance to use them yet cause either it`s been raining so hard or my wrists have been so sore I can`t ride... I just looked at the incredients and it says:

Iron, water, vermiculite, activated carbon, salt.

So...basically after they`ve been exposed to air they...rust fast and therefore produce heat? interesting...

And Butcherspencil: Why I always keep reading your username Butchspencer...

krazymonkeys 10-10-2012 08:45 PM

I may be a little different this year being that I just started back riding full time after years of only riding sporadically, but I was always of the opinion in my younger years that if there was no ice or snow on the ground, I was on my bike. I definitely don't avoid rain. When you start riding like that and you get stuck somewhere in the rain, what happens if it doesn't stop for a few days? Better to be used to it and better yet, have gear for it with you at all times. Unless I'm just riding somewhere close by, I always have a change of clothes and rain gear in my backpack as well as tools, water, paperwork and other necessities. I always keep my clothes and anything else that doesn't need to get wet in a series of properly sized zip-lock bags and as of yet, I haven't had any trouble. The backpack is always a great place for fix-a-flat and plugs too. I always wonder why people never ride with that kinda stuff. I've had flat tires on the road from errant nails on quite a few occasions. Sorta plagiarizing Mastercard here, but Fix-a-Flat, $7. Tire plug kit, $5. Not having to wait for someone to either pick you up or bring a new tire or stuff to fix yours, PRICELESS.

Edit: To everyone thinking of silk liners, here's some dirt cheap. I'll be picking up a pair to try out this winter. For that price, even if I only ride once in the cold, it's worth it. Tour Master Silk Glove Liner $13.49! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $14.99

Hope that helped,

Bryan

Sprock 10-11-2012 09:03 AM

I 've ridden the last three winters since it's been so mild but there's times I wish
I had something like this :)

http://www.besportier.com/archives/b...er-edition.jpg

Mattson 10-11-2012 09:56 AM

Something like this maybe?:

http://www.hilavitkutin.com/wp-conte...rsion-kit1.jpg

2Moto Radix conversion kit.

Or the Snow Hawk?

http://www.2mmotorsports.com/img/cat...4_49567658.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...lDPGzF24rPivpt

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...3c6OKB0svBXwlZ

Never have had the chance to test one, but I`m told it`s a beech to drive until you learn to handle it. After a few winters...

A few others:

http://www.hilavitkutin.com/wp-conte...d-X_bike41.jpg

http://www.kkmk.net/fi/images/hondacr500kelkka.jpg

http://www.hilavitkutin.com/uploaded...485-768786.jpg

CommonMistake 10-12-2012 05:37 AM

cool I so want one!!

Incompatible 10-12-2012 09:24 AM

Yep, I ride all year. I brave the heat of summer and the cold of winter without even a wimper...wait a minute, I live in SoCal, what was I thinking? Sorry guys, couldn't resist.

Mattson 10-12-2012 10:17 AM

Well, I was planning to go one last time to work by bike today, but when I took the dog for a walk in the morning I pressed my finger into the seat of the bike and watched a crust of ice peel off it. I decided propably better not to risk my me-time night with getting a cold or crashing into the frozen leaves on the twists on my way to work... It`s starting to look like my season`s pretty much done...

krazymonkeys 10-12-2012 10:35 AM

Such a shame. Almost brings a tear to my eye every time that happens. Get your hopes up because even though it's cold, there's no chance of snow or rain/ice and then you realize that just the morning dew has created ice. I'm only glad the cold season here usually only has a few days every year that are below freezing. Not saying that 35* isn't cold, but it doesn't make ice either.

Mattson 10-12-2012 10:49 AM

Well, IMO below +10c is considered non-enjoyable, below +5c is re-considerable, below zero is non-negotiable... I rode two times to work at spring below 0c which caused 12 days of hellish back pain I never want to experience again. I could not straighten my figure, and after an hour of driving home from work I had to take two three tries to pry myself up from the car and take a moment to puff&huff against the door only to not sream my head off from the pain...

But I`m not too sad about it. U see, I`m in the process of changing my car (yes, Sprock, the Volvo`s done it`s deeds and is nearing 500tkm) and due to an incoming legacy it seems I don`t have to take a loan for it. The Volvo can prove to be a bit problematic to sell as is, but as currency in a trade it`s a whole other thing. As the snow slowly starts to fall to the ground, so does the prices of bikes...

Some letter combinations keep popping in my head...Like VTR SP1, TL1000R, VFR, Daytona 955i, RSV1000R, CBR900RR,etc... We`ll see....

Aken 10-12-2012 04:29 PM

I have zero interest in riding in colder weather anymore. When I first started riding, I'd ride whenever I possibly could. But the novelty has worn off. Definitely fair weather rider :D

butcherspencil 10-13-2012 01:21 AM

No choice for me now! The bike is my solitary mode of transport. It's really made food shopping interesting (glad I've only got myself to feed) but if the commute awaits; I'm off out there.

I do like a nice crisp autumn sunday ride with the sun up and the roads dry. That's been my favourite weather so far. Snuggled up in my gear, not too warm and not too cold. Great stuff.

Got my first lesson on a 500cc bike on tuesday afternoon. Fingers crossed for good weather! :D :D :D

jasonchristopher 10-13-2012 12:02 PM

if gas prices stay the same ill be riding right into the next ice age...
i boughr a pair winter riding gloves (good ones $90) when getiing off the bike and i can still feel my fingers, thats difference for me , between a good ride and a bad one..
but come on guys theres no weeping here :) there are things that are good about this time of the year.. like on those chilly mornings before heading out to take on the day and you slide up to whoever keeps your bed warm at night..
like feeling the cold floor before putting something on your feet..
yes these might be our last ride/rides but heading out and seeing the last of whats left for colors on the trees and i dont know about you, but this time of the year carrys the sound of my pipes like indiana jones cracking is whip on the bad guys.. i freaking hate and love this time of the year but i wont weep.. it just not going to happen, as matter fact, this time of the year i just been buying parts getting them ready for when i do take her for her last run, but not yet...
this is the time of the year when people finaly stay in the house st the end of the the day.. my night rides have been met with solidarity.. the roads are all mine.. for you rural guys, i know you have that option most if the time but here in the bigger cities.. this is really the best time of the year to finaly ride..no weeping here until i see snow and maybe some deer..
jay

Mattson 10-13-2012 12:48 PM

i freaking hate and love this time of the year
Same here, this one has just been so fekking wet, raining all-the-time, now the nights are starting to get below zero and there`s loads of wet leaves on the road along my way to work making riding virtually impossible. I rather not ride than fear I lowside at every corner... I normally love the fall and the rain too, for some reason I`ve been having the blues this year... Propably gonna change when I get the new car (and who knows, maybe bike too...)