CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Any Renault mechanics here? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/any-renault-mechanics-here-153729/)

Mattson 08-04-2015 02:04 PM

Any Renault mechanics here?

Now I know this is a cbr forum but I also know there are several car mechanics here as well. I have a '97 1,4litre 8 valve mk1 Clio on my hands that needs a new timing belt. I can find several instructions how to change the belt onto a mk2 98-05 clio but nothing on the first model. The only one that I found replied to himself "nevermind it was so easy I did it without instructions" so I'm fairly confident I can as well, however if it can be avoided I wouldn't care to go in blind so to speak. The car currently sits on stands without the right front wheel as I pressure washed the mud off from behind the wheel to gain access to the service panel. I suppose the upper motor mount needs to be removed as well? Is there anything else? I assume no locking plates are needed since it's a single cam engine. I'm also replacing the water pump so coolant drain is also due.

74demon 08-04-2015 03:39 PM

Sorry, we don't have those here.

Should be fairly straightforward. It doesn't look like there is variable valve timing to complicate things. Make sure it's on TDC #1 and line up the factory marks. Then use some nail polish and make your own marks for 2 points of reference. As long as the marks line up when you're done, you will be good to go.

Sebastionbear1 08-04-2015 04:19 PM

Clio Mk1 engine Timing belt change Question - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Both for 1.2s not sure if the same motor Matti,

Cheers, SB

Mattson 08-04-2015 04:37 PM

Seb I found that video already as well as a few others the chap had made, I don't know if he's irish or what but I can't make out a single sentence he's saying. At first I thought he's dutch but realised it's -kinda- english what he's uttering. Of course I can see what he's doing but that's merely informative enough... oh well, maybe I can do it and be done with it, really need the money to update my helmet and jacket.

Mattson 08-05-2015 03:06 PM

Yea really straight forward, easy as pie... that is IF you're a ten year old thai girl... Me being a fully grown scandinavian man with hands that most resemble shovels just can't fit my paws in there... there's well over 20cm of free space at the left side of the engine, WHY is the cam end shoved so close to the wheel housing there's no way to fit a ratchet in there?! The cam wheel cover also doubles as half of the upper motor mount so the bolts are ridiculously oversized and tight as hell, I had to support the engine from below to get it off AND whoever had swapped the belt the last time has rounded most of the bolts and put them back regardless... hit a wall as I don't have a T30 torx key short enough to get the last two cover bolts off so gotta call quits for today...

Watching my bloody scraped oily wrists and knuckles painfully brings back why I solemny swore to never again fix a french car after I moved to Volvos... and yet here I am again...

Sebastionbear1 08-05-2015 03:22 PM

Here's one I did earlier Matti,

Laguna II rear subframe bush removal tool - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Being in the Antipodes I had to make up my own tool for the job - pictures of the bush replacement on my Laguna from post 12

Cheers, SB