Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any car audio ppl?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any car audio ppl?

I love me some alpine. The new ones are kinda weird lookin though. I have had a couple panasonic and they are actually not that bad. 18wrms x4 3 preouts at 5v. And they look pretty freaking cool.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 AM

Alpine Alpine Apline. I have had 1, same unit in 3 different cars, for almost 6 years now. you can't read the buttons anymore but it still plays as nice as the day i bought it. Also, you can use the CD changer connector to hardwire an iPod with power so it charges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALPINE-IVA-W...QQcmdZViewItem

It may not be a flip out, but its got a really cool feature that makes it feel like there are actually buttons on the screen even though its flat.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 AM

I've always been a Pioneer fan...but x2 about them changing to that goofy design a couple years ago. When it's time for me to upgrade I may switch to my second choice, Alpine, which sure it getting a lot of votes here. I really don't know anything about flip out units though.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM

I went from Pioneer to Sony now. Pioneer just wasn't cuttin it for me. But i love my sony! it was worth the $200. lol. My girlfriend has the exact same radio too and loves it!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM

Alpine FTW... or Eclipse.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Go to Crutchfield.com and type in what your make/model car is and they will give you a list of everything that fits...I order all my stuff from them now and their customer service is fantastic and prices are hard to beat...

I put a Panasonic head unit in my Tahoe, and I love it. It has seperate sub control with built in high pass filter and eq, plus it has a aux input (which I used for Sirius Satellite Radio) and also Ipod adapter and controls, and was less than $200. If you looking for a flip-out face, they ahve a bunch on that site also...happy shopping.

I am getting a new Alpine head for my new GTI and Polk speakers all around for less than $400...Crutchfield is the best!!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through'em all back in my nutty different-stereo-a-week days .. sony, alpine, you name it ... haven't kept up or changed any in a while but all I can say is of all the ones I owned I liked the Eclipse I had the best .. quality and reliability is top notch.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM
July 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: oakasrtheshiz

if you want good sound you dont want to power your speakers from you head unit. its much better to run a mono block for your subs and depending on the amount of speakers you have a 4 channel amp or a 4 and a 2 channel amp that runs your mids and highs. put it all to some sort of equalizer. take the head unit out of the equation when it comes to that, its not going to give you the crystal clear sound. and if your running 2 15's your going to want a cap i dont care what kind of battery you have that shiz is not good on your electrical system. i used to watch my battery meter bounce when the my 2 12's were hitting hard w/ a red top optima. a cap is fairly cheap you don't need a ridiculous 1. like 60 bucks and it'll take a lot of stress off of your electrical system.
A capacitor is a giant, pointless band-aid for your electrical system. If you want to do things RIGHT, upgrade your battery, your Big 3 wires, and if necessary the alternator.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 PM

WOW... thanks for all the input guys

oaks: the guys at the audio shop have suggested to me before to put in an amp for the speakers but i never got around too it, how many watts would i need for that, ill have to check but i think i have 6 speakers. I already have a decent amount of money into the system so i might as well do it right.

jfunk: i will definitly check out krutchfield, thanks for the tip man

Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Aken

ORIGINAL: oakasrtheshiz

if you want good sound you dont want to power your speakers from you head unit. its much better to run a mono block for your subs and depending on the amount of speakers you have a 4 channel amp or a 4 and a 2 channel amp that runs your mids and highs. put it all to some sort of equalizer. take the head unit out of the equation when it comes to that, its not going to give you the crystal clear sound. and if your running 2 15's your going to want a cap i dont care what kind of battery you have that shiz is not good on your electrical system. i used to watch my battery meter bounce when the my 2 12's were hitting hard w/ a red top optima. a cap is fairly cheap you don't need a ridiculous 1. like 60 bucks and it'll take a lot of stress off of your electrical system.
A capacitor is a giant, pointless band-aid for your electrical system. If you want to do things RIGHT, upgrade your battery, your Big 3 wires, and if necessary the alternator.
Thank you aken I have been telling people this for ever. Nobody listens. I was taught everything I know by the man who built the alma gates bronco never seen look it up.

Quick Reply: Any car audio ppl?