CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Any BBQ'ing tips? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/any-bbqing-tips-130016/)

smoorebmw 08-23-2011 04:27 PM

Any BBQ'ing tips?

Im BBQ'ing Ribeye Steaks for me and my girl tonight and was wondering if you had any BBQ'ing tips. I'm basically a beginner and want any advice you can give.

-cheers

Dfbewley2 08-23-2011 05:02 PM

Beginner eh? You can't go wrong! Always remember that... No matter what happens you can't go wrong..

Now.. Do you want a true BBQ (dripping with BBQ sauce) or are you just cooking it on the grill with no sauce?

regener8ed 08-23-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dfbewley2 (Post 1092960)
Now.. Do you want a true BBQ (dripping with BBQ sauce) or are you just cooking it on the grill with no sauce?

he said

Originally Posted by smoorebmw (Post 1092952)
Ribeye Steaks

so i'm going to assume he means grilling. (he better mean grilling! ribeyes would be weird with bbq sauce.) hard to screw up a ribeye - plenty of fat to keep things juicy.

btw, since you're in SD, phil's is the place to check out for real bbq. :)

Dfbewley2 08-23-2011 05:22 PM

You never know.. People like BBQ sauce with their ribeyes hahaha!

smoorebmw 08-23-2011 05:49 PM

I was gonna stay away from bbq sauce since these damn steaks cost $28. It's better be good without it:) I LOVE PHIL'S BBQ!!!!

Dfbewley2 08-23-2011 06:09 PM

Damn... $28 for both? Those better be some big steaks haha! The fat on will keep them nice and juicy.. My only tip for non-sauce BBQing is to keep and eye on them.. Haha! I only BBQ with sauce and I have a ton of tricks for that haha

ko67 08-23-2011 07:23 PM

Gear the grill ripping hot, sear both sides 2-3 minutes a side for med rare (maybe more if there really thick).

I like them simple with just salt and pepper, but occasionally I'll hit them with my tri-tip rub.

1 part salt
1 part dried thyme
1 part dried rosemary
1 part onion powder
1 part garlic powder
1 part white pepper
1 part black pepper.

Rub the steaks and let them sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer.

txsmainevent 08-23-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dfbewley2 (Post 1092960)

You can't be serious?!?!?!

1st thing you need to know, BBQ is a way of cooking like baking. BBQ is not a dish. Just cause you add BBQ Sauce to something doesn't make it BBQ. Unless your marinating, then slow cooking with low heat you are grilling.

I don't know to many people that GRILL steaks and add any other sauce than steak sauce..... Marinate it with a good rub/wine/beer. Grill, and serve. Pretty simple.....

txsmainevent 08-23-2011 07:37 PM

Just in case you still dont understand courtesy of Wikipedia:

Barbecue or barbeque (common spelling variant)[1] (with abbreviations BBQ & Bar-B-Q; Barbie, used chiefly in the United Kingdom and Australia; Braai used in South Africa) is a method and apparatus for cooking meat, poultry and occasionally fish with the heat and hot smoke of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal.

adrenalnjunky 08-23-2011 11:32 PM

As far as setups:
Charcoal > Gas

Cooking with hardwoods is my personal favorite - I usually keep some pecan, mesquite hickory or oak around to use as a fuel source when I'm really serious about what I'm cooking - but when just grilling for an hour or so, I use lump charcoal for the primary fuel, and add a small log of some hardwood for flavor.

Pick a book or two - any of Steven Raichlen's Grilling books, or Weber's Way to Grill are really comprehensive on techniques, recipes and possibilities.

Every one of us that take the grill seriously probably have 2-3 different dry rub recipies, a couple of sauce recipes and more different techniques that can be fathomed. And we all will probably not agree on everything. It's ok as long as it tastes good.

Oh - and don't forget to try your hand at a Bacon Explosion!!!!
Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes - BBQ Addicts - BBQ Blog
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bacon-12.jpg