Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another San Diego Cop Dies...Motorcycle accident...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another San Diego Cop Dies...Motorcycle accident...

SAN DIEGO — An off-duty San Diego police officer riding his motorcycle died Wednesday night in Palm City after broadsiding a truck.

He has been identified as 26-year-old Christopher Blakeley, San Diego police Lt. Andra Brown said.

Blakeley was heading west on Main Street at Hollister Street at 9:41 p.m. when he ran a red light, Brown said.

The Ducati bike hit a pickup heading south with such force the truck ended up on its roof.

“Per witnesses, it appears the motorcycle was at a very high speed just prior to impact and struck the truck in such a manner that it was able to flip the vehicle over,” Sgt. Ron Glass said.

The officer, who lived in Chula Vista, was pronounced dead at the scene six minutes later. Two people in the truck suffered minor injuries, police said.

Blakeley had been on the force for three years and seven months and had worked out of the southeastern division, Brown said.

He served in the Navy for four years before joining the force in 2008, police spokesman Detective Gary Hassen said.

He is survived by his mother, a brother and an ex-wife, Hassen said. He said Blakeley had no children.

Services are expected to be held next week, but no time or location has been set yet, Hassen said.

Blakeley is the fourth San Diego police officer to die in a little more than a month and the fifth to die in less than year.

Child abuse unit Detective Donna Williams, 52, and her 18-year-old daughter, Briana, were stabbed to death at their Rancho Peñasquitos home on July 18, allegedly by Williams’ son Brian.

On Aug. 1, 41-year-old Officer David Hall committed suicide at his home in Clairemont. Hall was awaiting trial on drunken-driving and hit-and-run charges.

A week later, on Aug. 7, Officer Jeremy Henwood, 36, was killed by a suicidal gunman who pulled alongside his patrol car in City Heights and opened fire.

Henwood was a captain in the Marine reserves who had returned this year from a tour of duty in Afghanistan. He was promoted posthumously to major.

Officer Christopher Wilson, 50, died Oct. 28 after he was called to a Skyline apartment to help arrest a fugitive and was met with gunfire.

Off-duty San Diego police officer killed in motorcycle crash | SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear this.

RIP

Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

strangely enough I was heading home on the interstate day before yesterday when a guy on a R6 raven comes around me and is riding a car in the fast lane's ***. Helmet/Jacket/gloves/boots/black BDU-style pants. Not a squid at least. Traffic was kinda stacked up and moving at about 60 mph.

As soon as he can he whips into the right lane and rolls onto the throttle to get around 4-5 cars. He wasn't probably breaking 85-90 before he settled down.

I take my exit and he's stopped at the same light about 7 cars up. As we run down the street, I see him make about 3-4 swerving lane changes threading thru traffic, no signals, and is typically outpacing traffic.

Again - he wasn't ***** out flying or anything - but was behaving in the typical way that I think is what pisses-off the general public about sportbike riders. Tailgating, rapid lane changing, weaving through traffic, etc.

A few blocks up and he whips onto a sidestreet, and pulls directly into the local Police Department's squad-car/officer staging lot. That's when I realize the guy's a LEO, and will likely pull me over some day for a lot less than I just watched him do.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im torn on this Topic..

First off... RIP To the Officer..

Second.. I kinda dont feel any Sympathy towards him.. He was speeding and ran a red light... If you blow through a Red light on a motorcycle with enough force to flip a TRUCK over... You were doing something Stupid...

Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel sorry for the police killed in the line of duty , but hey , racing around off duty ??? nup !!.
bad luck he wrecked some poor buggers truck though! and that could have killed the driver and his passenger too ?

I suppose it has to be said , that hey , just like high rise steel workers , or any other potensially dangerous job , being a cop is a dangerous job too and being killed perhaps? is one of the things that people that take on any of those the jobs have to deal with and expect ?
Exactly, Steve.
It's terrible news any time someone dies, but I'm not sure why it matters that they were cops. I've never understood that.

My buddy Brian got crushed to death at work by a Caterpillar 836. He left behind a wife and two little girls. No big news story, and he was one hell of an awesome person. RIP, Brian.

I just don't get why it's only big news when it's a cop. Last time I checked, they draw a paycheck like the rest of us. Hell, their job doesn't even make forbes or CNN top 10 most dangerous.
And these guys weren't even on duty? Hell, of the 18 police deaths per 100,000 last year, 10 of them were from traffic accidents.

Just about any tradesman has a similar chance of being killed at work on monday, but my grandfather (farmer) and my uncle (truck driver) won't get any special treatment because their jobs aren't as important?

GTFO!