Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Almost a theft victim

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. Thankfully, sans torn fairing foam, it ended ok. I think had I been another 5 min, I would've found an empty parking spot where my bike had been. Full coverage insurance would've covered the "loss" but nothing replaces a trusted "friend".

Keep in mind, this was a busy parking lot of a nice store in a "good" neighborhood. That *false sense of security* could've cost me a bike. Then again, if they want it...they'll get it...chain, rotor-lock, whatever. I think the fact that it was so busy, made it easier for them to blend in. Being in a military town is two-fold for thieves...they have more bikes to choose from but God help 'em if they're caught doing it!

I have had a bike stolen before...& I can tell you that there's no feeling like it. It was stolen on a Christmas morning. At the time, I lived in an apt & had no other choice but to leave it outside chained to a steel & concrete post. Only thing left was a crisply cut chain. Police report filed, etc etc etc. The bike was never recovered.

When wifey & I go to the track, we trailer our bikes & gear, We make sure to lock everything...wheel locks on bikes, bikes cabled & locked to trailer, fuel containers & ramp - cabled & locked to trailer. Our favorite track has a mom-n-pop motel nearby that has a gated & locked trailer area that is monitored 24/7...they don't mess around either. Otherwise, we're as near to that trailer as possible when its attached & locked to our SUV.

Maybe I shouldn't keep my bike(s) so clean & detailed. Maybe a dirty bike would be the best deterent. That would be hard for me to do though, as I was taught to keep everything GI'd. Here's a pic of my RC51 that nearly got taken...

Name:  DCP_0043.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  109.1 KB

Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a BEAUTY!

I want to steal it myself.