Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

airplane question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: airplane question

yeah, im with TheX. imagine a car being on a dyno, wheels spin, car stays still. now, you do that, plus you add a huge jet engine on the back, and that car is going through the wall. the form of propulsion is not relative to the ground, it is relative to the air around it.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X, best .gif evar! [sm=exactly.gif]

This is one of those classics that never goes away. It seems unintuitive that the motion of the plane isn't governed by its wheel-speed, especially when we all drive/ride around all day on machines that are governed by wheel-speed. But, for a plane, this is exactly the case. It wouldn't matter if the wheels were on a treadmill or not. The plane would behave exactly the same way, because it thrusts against the air, not the ground.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Yes

If airplanes used drive wheels, this might really matter. But airplanes use straightforward reaction, either by prop or by jet, so the wheel speed is irrelevant. For takeoff airspeed matters, not groundspeed.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:36 PM

so where did this come from...are they actually thinking of doing this, or is it just one of those questions.

on a side note, this reminded me of something I thought of in like 8th grade in a science class, if you were driving 35MPH exactly north, and the wind was blowing at 35MPH exactly north, if you stick your hand out the window, will there be wind?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
VP

ORIGINAL: rrasco

so where did this come from...are they actually thinking of doing this, or is it just one of those questions.

on a side note, this reminded me of something I thought of in like 8th grade in a science class, if you were driving 35MPH exactly north, and the wind was blowing at 35MPH exactly north, if you stick your hand out the window, will there be wind?
Why would they do this? LoL... just to made ticket prices more expensive? It would still require the exact same amount of space to take off and land...

Old 07-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Retired Moderator

Reminds me of a highschool math problem I had:

If I rollin' in my Cutlas at 35 mile an hour, and my hoes walkin' toward me at 2.3 mile anhour, and there ispo-poand three john's between us...how long till I gets my f_ckin' money!?!?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

lift is from the bernoulli effect. Air moving over the top of the wing moves faster than the air on the bottom. This creates a low pressure area on top of the wing, lift forces are a function of wing area and pressure.

You don't even need the plane to move, just get some big fans to push the air at the plane and the bitch will float away.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM

jet propulsion works by the turbine creating force on the atoms of mass in the atmosphere. hence newton's laws...that matter will exert force back onto the turbine and the plane....so no matter if you bolt the wheels to the ground etc....some parts of that plane will fly....it'll just be the wings ripping from the fuselage lol....

Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 PM

I agree with X.
Very well illustrated.

I think it will work even betterif the pilot was wearing night vision goggles.
btw, what happened with that otherexperiment anyway?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:31 PM

lift must be more than wieght, drag must be less than thrust or else you wont fly anywhere, seems how no lift will be created, you cannot fly dont yall get it????

Quick Reply: airplane question