Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Advise on going military.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Advise on going military.

All depends on what you want to do, As a zero, I doubt you'd be the one snoopin and poopin as the trigger man. I was a corpsman for STA, we had an OIC and all he ever did was look at maps and man the radio, make decissions and plan for the team. I'm sure it's different and would bet that isolated1523 is spot on. Like any service, theres your good to go guys and your turds, you'll get that in any branch, but I think allot less so in the Marines, I think they just don't tolerate it. Long story short(or not) I personally know an Army Officer with a felony, the army was the only service that would take him, among a long list of stuff about this guy, it just cracks me up, the army's standards and all, no GED, no problem, sign here for a 1yr tour to the sandbox.We kick out fatties in my command and they all join the army the next week to keep the paycheck comming, and get a sign-on bonus? WTF? Dunno, your choice. We always said ARMY = Aren't ready for Marines yet. Of course I'm biased, but the Army is HUGE, so maybe in my 13yrs I just happened to always run across the dolts on deployments and training. If your set on the Army, look into aviation, those guys always seemed squared away when we dealt with them. I'll give the Army this, they always have cool gear, they get the latest and greatest as opposed to 0311's, we used to always oogle the cool gear they had like a caveman does fire when we'd train with them in combat town and such. Now to close, I got nothing against the Army, or any service, am I biased....yes, but I appreciate anyone who puts on the cloth of the nation every morning.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Brother so much for being PC and staying in the middle of the road LOL
All I can say is IOOORAH Semper Fi do or die Devildog

Old 11-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Hardcorp i'm currently with 2-17 cavalry at campbell. The 160th is something i've always wanted to do, my issue now is that i'm in a unit that is just getting back and will not deploy again for about 2 years. Since i'm a pilot, my lack of experience is kinda keeping me from being as competitive as i want to be in trying to get into task force.

I'd give anything to fly a little bird.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Friend and Hero ...

A lot of peoplein the private sector coming from the military of course and one of the pilots whom I amassociate with is a former night stalker first-class top-notch operator no thread jacking here but I think you all enjoy this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6dyQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqgPE...eature=related

Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM

Honestly, the longer I'm in the Air Force, the more I wish I would have chosen another branch. I've never seen a bigger bunch of grown @ss men with so much sand in their gina's. Good luck, hopefully the grass is greener on the other side; there's nothing like the enlisted doing all the work and the officers taking all the credit on their performance reports. But you have to remember the basic credo of the US Military: We're here to preserve Democracy, not practice it.

You have to really think about what you want out of it, and if the Army can dish it out, take it.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM

I got nothing bad to say about the airforce. When I was over in iraq and having pay problems, my Marine unit sure as **** couldn't help, wewere all infantryand there were no Navy installation around, but there was an airforce unit, and one of the SSGT's hooked me up, fixed my pay with DFAS, got my account straight all in a few minutes. Plus, I got to sit on a couch in his office and enjoy a doughnut and coffee, something of a novelty in Iraq when things first kicked off, plus, dude let me use the phone to call home, I hadn't talked to my wife in over a month. So, yea, all services failed me, but the AF hooked it up with a smile.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

I got nothing bad to say about the airforce. When I was over in iraq and having pay problems, my Marine unit sure as **** couldn't help, wewere all infantryand there were no Navy installation around, but there was an airforce unit, and one of the SSGT's hooked me up, fixed my pay with DFAS, got my account straight all in a few minutes. Plus, I got to sit on a couch in his office and enjoy a doughnut and coffee, something of a novelty in Iraq when things first kicked off, plus, dude let me use the phone to call home, I hadn't talked to my wife in over a month. So, yea, all services failed me, but the AF hooked it up with a smile.
Don't worry payrolls going to get farmed out to the private sector it is going to get a lot betterI promise LOL I thought I was the only one had those nightmare payroll problems

Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Yes brother I posted that fact on the first page and suggested the young man PM you or e-mail you and how is DI school brother yes I know it's Drill Sgt old habits die hard LOL

Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 AM

My father helped design DFAS.

Quick Reply: Advise on going military.