Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

About to buy first bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bambam
rag muffin....now im a fan of the metal malitia but lets be real, plastered across the front screen of the bike? bro .. there are lots of signs telling you this is a rag... sorry, i hate giving bad news to good people....
The sales woman told me the guy traded in that CBR and a road king for a brand new soft tail. She said they'll accept ANYTHING on a trade in..
Okay, it's an 08 rag with 1400 miles on it with tires at 95% tread ? No signs of burnouts or anything stupid except the drop.. I STILL don't understand how you think it's a BAD deal at all considering they want 5k OTD which I'm DEFINITELY talking down lower...?? Its THE BEST deal I've seen so far considering the year and the mileage, and the 200$ at max repair for the clutch cover and some cover up paint for the fairing which you can't even tell that it's scratched because the scratches are UNDER the bike on the clutch cover side..

Originally Posted by Jmclmorrow
god thats such a sexy color.

There are a couple things to consider, it was obviously dropped but I would say at a very low speed. He's got no mirrors on it I would guess when it fell it broke 1 of the mirrors (when I dropped mine in place it broke my mirror and gave it scratches identical to that) and he decided to just get rid of both of them.

Also I almost always associate stickers like that whether its on a car or a bike to mean that it was owned by someone somewhat young, maby even their first bike which would explain the n00b drop at low speed too. I know when I got mine the first thing I did was take the stickers off the guy had plastered all over the bike.

How are the tires on it? if they need to be replaced thats a couple hundred right there.

does it shift smoothly? I wouldn't even consider buying it until I was able to test ride it, and if you cant because of lack of license or something then have a good friend that knows what hes doing test it for you.

EDIT: are you dead set on buying an RR?

An RR of an F4i. I'm going to test ride it when I go to pick it up. If it shifts smoothly and everything turns out fine, I'll be very happy.. Gunna take it for maybe a 10-20 minute spin kick it up into 4th if theres a road for it, but it didn't seem it when I went to the dealership. And I'll go from there.. I think this deal is a steal though.. The clutch cover is around $120 to fix, and the fairings just need some cover up and I can try and polish the scratches off the exhaust, for 5k OTD I think it's an amazing deal for an 08 no?...

PS:

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 AM

bro ...its just my opinion, run and go get it...Im just sayin , for that money you could find one that aint dropped, wasnt kid-killed , you asked for opinions and thats what i gave, if you want me to be happy for ya , i am, but yer buying a bike with damage period...but if you like ill point out some good in this, if it does olny have 1400 mi , it is a baby and hardly broke in if done right(but ya never know). as far as the parts needed to fix back to perfect, i wood price these out NOW, not later , keep in mind that when you go to sell , you will be selling a bike thats been dropped. If yer heart is set , then brother i say good luck and take it eazy, those scratches didnt slow it down.peeece

Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 AM

I see what you're saying, To fix it, just going to take some man hours and APPROXIMATELY... Should be no more than 250 to get it back to mint despite some of the fairing scratches, but I'll be replacing those in a few months for some pearl whites. ~160 for the clutch cover, and difference for the mirrors and some other minor things from ebay like the windscreen replacement nuts instead of those horribad spikes.. Since the bike IS so new, the thought of selling it down the road hasn't even hit me yet, in all honestly, I'll definitely keep it for at least 3-4 years, and either turn it into a track bike, or just sell it.. Probably track though.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 AM

either way , good luck brother , and go with yer gut , and holla if i can help...peeece

Old 01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diesel:

In all sincerity, I think we've all tried to help you. We've given you some sage advice b/c most of us have been in your anxious spot & don't want to see you make a mistake. Most of us have learned from our mistakes in this regard & want to help you *not* make the same mistakes. Thus, the reason we've been trying to help you.

Myself & other members here have been trying to help you *given the limited information you have given us*. Our recommendations have been forthright & honest, & have your best interests in mind.

Maybe this bike is ok...maybe not. We based our input on what we've been told...& that indicated to most of us, that it isn't a good idea - at least until more is known. For your sake, if you're intent on actually buying this bike, we hope that the bike is a good one, sans a few scuffs. We hope that its nothing more than cosmetic damage & proves to be a good bike if you buy it.

You seem determined on buying this bike regardless of what we've tried to help you to do. Our best wishes are w/ you but as I said in my previous posts, we don't want there to be any *told-ya-so's* b/c you didn't listen.

Good luck to you & hope to see you on the board w/a good bike that you'll take care of & get a lot of use from.

Best,
gotcbr

Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM

I understand that completely. And furthermore, I thank all of you, I'm going to testride it, and feel for any shakes or rumbling. It looks like the guy downed the bike doing 5mph. The only scratches are on the clutch cover on the right side, barely any on the fairing.. I don't see how if there's such minor damage the frame would be hurt in any way shape or form from such a light drop? Secondly, the dealership said they do a 46 point inspection on everything that comes in, so I'll be talking to mechanics when I go take a final look at the CBR. But as for now I have to go to work so I'll be back later tonight! Thanks again!

Tom

Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they say they did a 46 point inspection on the bike, they have to provide any buyer with the paperwork to back it up. I still say it looks more like a drop. Only way I can see it getting off that lightly while moving is if the frame sliders and bar ends took the brunt...

Which is something I don't remember seeing: frame sliders?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I still say it looks more like a drop. ?
nope... you dont get the kind of scrape on the clutch cover from a drop....

Old 01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah but the damage is so... weird. Scratches are going almost straight up the bike. Under movement I'd think the scratches would have been more lateral or diagonal (from forward movement). And its pretty localized.

My lowside was low speed and I got scratches all over (upper, tail and lower fairing). All showing the direction of the slide. It almost looks like it was dropped on something (curb / sidewalk)

Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

no biggie bro, but that bike was rollin when it went down....peeece