Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

About to buy first bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I would shoot for the pearl one. It is reasonably priced, and a sexy bike.

I agree with your logic too. Buy a nice bike that you will take care of and keep it for a while. You may drop it and ding it, etc.... but you may not. Knock on wood, I haven't ever dropped or put a scratch on mine. Just don't get distracted while you are moving it, etc....

Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Just put a 100$ hold on this bad boyy:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...600RR-96269898

She said if I don't purchase it I'll get my money back so no worries, the only thing is that it says "as is" and I'm hoping that just means there's no warranty on it, I'll hopefully be going to check it out tomorrow night and maybe bringing that baby home with me <333. What do you guys think as is could mean??

Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You put money on a bike you haven't seen yet??? Oh boy. Something seems too good to be true w/ this price. There may be more to this "as is" than you think.

BTW, *never* ever take anyone's word on anything when it comes to money. I highly advice you get that "money back" promise in writing ASAP.

I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by gotcbr; 01-03-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM

She said I'll get it back if I don't buy it. The dealership is only 1 hour away, my dads a mechanic so if anything's wrong, not purchasing it. It does seem good, but trade-in price is like 3k and she said the guy traded it in for a harley(it's at a harley dealership). So I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and I'll see whats up.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 AM

def concider a private seller bike as the dealer always asks ALOT more $$$$. 8000mi aint chit really, dont sweat those miles. I really dig the pearl one....peace

Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope all goes well.

Take a careful look at that mileage vs bike wear. I've known of guys buying new bikes, removing the factory plastic, & disconnecting the odometer. Then, using the bikes as track bikes for a season. Then, putting the stock plastics back on & reconnecting the odo,...& selling. NO, I do not condone this practice but have seen it done. The new buyer has no way of knowing he's just bought a bike that's been run hard, etc.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 AM

First thing I'll be doing is checking for wear on the bike, I'm going to give it at least an hour lookover and I'm going to request the plastics be removed so I know there's not a cracked frame. I'll be paying cash so they better do as I ask.. =) Hoping everything is fine though, praying actually.. I just hope he didn't down it, but if there is a few scratches from bumping into the fridge in his garage... I'm probably going to replace the fairings anyway, not a huge fan of orange ;P Still hoping for the best though, dieing to just ride..

Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound like your to anxious to buy without all your homework being done across the board. You're in NJ so riding isn't going to happen so soon, you have time to get the winter specials if you have to buy from a dealer otherwise you could do better from a private seller looking to sell fast for his upgrade in the summer. Don't be in a rush be careful with your money.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM

5k for an 08 with 1400 miles? That's overpriced? I don't think so.. Most 08's are 6500+ with no negotiations. I'm just curious if they'll go for a little less in cash so they can tax write off the bike, and pocket the whole amount. My second curiosity is that they'll allow me to inspect the frame so theres no hidden cracks or anything anywhere on it. =O

Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insist on your own inspection, if they say no, tell them you are walking away.