Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

About to buy first bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy first bike!!

**UPDATE** Just put a 100$ hold on this bad boyy:
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...600RR-96269898
She said if I don't purchase it I'll get my money back so no worries, the only thing is that it says "as is" and I'm hoping that just means there's no warranty on it, I'll hopefully be going to check it out tomorrow night and maybe bringing that baby home with me <333. What do you guys think as is could mean??

Hey everyone, I'm back and ready to finally purchase my first bike, CBR 600rr(After careful consideration and about 1.5k miles on the Xb12S)! Right now my problem is that I'm torn between two different bikes and I'm not sure which would be better for me or what, basically just two different colors and mileage.. So let me know what yall think? PS: I'm a sucker for white bikes, just can't find a white with LOW miles ='(

Anyway here they are!:

The Grafitti(Doesn't list miles and no one at the dealership has answered the phone!)
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...600RR-95360006

The pearl <3 (Only downside is one year older and 8k more miles):
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...600RR-96251203

Or the unlikely deal at the Honda down the road from me with an insanely unreasonable asking price(if it had 0 miles and they were willing to drop to maybe about 7k which I don't think they would, I'd get it):
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...600RR-94514855

Swaying towards this one if he'll drop to 5500:
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1530384043.html

So what does everyone think? Thanks so much for any input and advice!!

Tom

Last edited by DieselRR; 01-03-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM

I would go for the least expensive of the three that you've listed. Mileage shouldn't be that much of a consideration, especially since you're talking about your first bike. I think a lot of people on this board will tell you that your first bike will get its share of scratch, dings and bruises, which is why I'm suggesting that you don't spend too much.

I'm kind of surprised that more "first time buyers" aren't buying a 5 to 10 year old bike for between $3k to $5k. There are lots of great deals out there for these kinds of bikes. For example, I've recently seen two 2001 929RRs in my area that are in exceptionally good condition for around $4k. Sounds like you could pick up both of them for the same price as one for the bikes that you're considering.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM

"low" miles? I'm sure there is more than one f4i with milage over 200,000 and handfulls of 100,000+ milage bikes. Most people don't keep their first bike and most get dropped anyways. Buy it, wring the snot out of it, sell it, repeat.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Yeah, but my whole deal was that if I get a newer bike, it's mine, and it'll stay that way for at least 5 years. That's 5 years without spending more than accessories on the bike. If I got a used bike, I have to deal with **** (hopefully not) and would end up selling it to spend more money, I figured it would probably be best to just spend 7 and get a new one that I will definitely keep for at least 5 years, mod it out, play and eventually probably turn it into a track bike, considering I definitely want my second bike to be a 1098r <333 drooooollll... Plus, it's harder to sell a used bike with a **** load of miles on it than it would be say one with lower miles, considering this summer I'll probably not go anywhere without the bike. =)

Old 01-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 01 F4i was only $2,400.. rebuilt title, but I still think it's a hell of a deal. 27,000mi on it when I bought it. Rashed a little on the right side and the front is busted up.. Oh well. Can't decide if I wanna spend money repairing it and putting new fairings on it or if I want something bigger and badder.

I think it made the perfect first bike though.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given just the options you list, I'd select the 2007 Pearl. 8k isn't that much mileage. Just do an overall inspection. Ie., don't take anything at face value w/o actually doing your own inspection.

I absolutely hate the idea of buying used from a dealer but if I had to, I'd ask for the absolutely lowest price...& if they are reluctant to give one, then make a lowball offer (or do both). They should counter w/ something in btwn. If they do, ask for something in btwn your lowball offer & their counter offer. Whatever that is, is prob gonna be the best you'll get.

Don't be swayed by offers of free services, gear, etc. Many folks get suckered this way. They think they're getting a lot of free stuff...when in actuality, they're just getting promo gear that really doesn't cost the dealership much. No, ask for actual money off the price. Conversely, if that amt isn't that much, -you- can ask if they'll throw in a new set of tires, new chain, etc, to make up some of the difference you had in mind.

Once you've purchased the bike, call Honda & get your name on the owner's list. That way, you're listed as the official owner. You'll get recall notices, etc.

Good luck shopping.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you buying used from a dealer & not private party? Either way look here before you spend.

2007 - http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...H&gc=MC&gtc=MC

2008 - http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...H&gc=MC&gtc=MC

Old 01-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Oh also, sorry I forgot to mention there's also an 07 black and grey about an hour from me with 1k miles on it. The guy is ASKING 6k. I think I'm going to call and shoot him an offer of 5500 cash, what do you guys think about that one? Thanks so much!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
I'm kind of surprised that more "first time buyers" aren't buying a 5 to 10 year old bike for between $3k to $5k. There are lots of great deals out there for these kinds of bikes. For example, I've recently seen two 2001 929RRs in my area that are in exceptionally good condition for around $4k. Sounds like you could pick up both of them for the same price as one for the bikes that you're considering.

Good luck.
I am as well. There's a psychological factor at play there as well. First bike, there's more than enough to worry about on the road. Hurting your brand new baby doesn't just make it worse. It can make it dangerous.

It's the same as target fixation. The more a person worries about knackering up their new bike, the more likely they are to make it happen. There is freedom in an older bike

Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM

Not a thought in my mind about downing it, going to be as positive as I can like I always am with everything. =) It'll all be fine. Still leaves me with the choices though, definitely going to give that guy a call though and show up at his house with cash, a ramp and some tie downs<3