Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

9-11

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My heart felt sympathy to the friends and families of all those who were lost on that day and all the days since . God bless.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in a shop when I heard it on the radio ... I thought it was some kind of
joke at first,some sort of hyperthetical "what if" situation being played out
because it could not be true ..it just could not!!

I ran home and put on the TV to see the most horrific pictures .........

The world did indeed change that day, because now anything goes ... before,
you always felt there was some kind of order, some honour and a line that
could/would not be crossed ... in just that one day everything, all unwritten
rules/codes went out the window and the world has felt less safe since then
... terrorism, we must never bow down or surrender to it ... treat it with the
contempt and evil that it surely is.....

may God rest their souls.........

Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
Wish we still mourned Pearl Harbor the way we do 9/11. We still bring it up but not as much as we should.

The Infamy Speech was delivered at 12:30 pm on December 8, 1941, by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt, one day after the Empire of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor Naval Base, Hawaii.

This line is remembered the most.
Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 — a date which will live in infamy — the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

I would suggest we not only remember 9/11 but what makes this entire country and through it the entire world great.
The people willing to sacrifice themselves to better the entire world.
Unfortunately, I think time plays a huge role in that. Many individuals right now were not there or do not remember Pearl Harbor. Today, the majority of individuals remember 9-11 because it was recent and for many people impacted their lives. This may not be the case with Pearl Harbor anymore. If we wait almost 70 years 9-11 might not be remembered so well either.

I'm not saying this because I don't respect the sacrifices that people make. Trust me on that... I'm currently missing my 2 best friends and my bf who are all over in Iraq. I'm just saying that unfortunately there comes a point in time where events enter the history books, and exist people's minds.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last ...phone calls, the funerals of the children.“..President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On 9/11/01, I was sitting in an International Relations class my sophomore year of college. The professor was in his mid sixties, and he also taught at the War College. He had seen a couple of wars already, and just after the first plane hit, he turned to me and said "That was no accident, Dylan".
It hit me like a ton of bricks. I've never had a feeling quite like it.
We walked outside and talked a bit while I smoked a cigarette, and at times we could hardly hear each other over the jets.
We walked back into the room just as they were showing the replays of the second plane hitting. The professor shook his head and dismissed the class.

Honestly, afterwards I was pretty pissed off. I felt helpless... like I should be doing something. Giving money to funds and chit wasn't cutting it. (although as a broke azz college kid, I wasn't giving much...)

I won't forget it, and my thoughts and prayers are with the families that are still very much feeling the pain of it today.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 PM

I chose these words carefully.

It is my hope that unfettered, worldwide mass communication and the availability of information will breed the familiarity with one another, objectivity of perspective and a sort of ultimate homogeneity which will prevent the type of isolation and ignorance which allows self-destructive world views to become instilled in entire groups. We really do need to be one world, and pretty soon.

I know that may sound odd coming from a old conservative, but I have given it a lot of thought.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 AM

Of course that is exactly how I, and most everyone I knew felt too. That's why we jumped into two wars. A very good female friend said at the time "I say we just turn all that sand into glass."

I agree with your evaluation of the level of sophistication.

One of the things that gives me hope is what happens to most societies when they see what the rest of the world is doing. Black market records and video tapes, and illegal/underground radio stations made the Russians want Beatles albums and Levi's. The west had great stuff, and they wanted it too. A government can't fight that forever. Eventually, the people get what they want. I would think that now with the Internet, that process can speed way up.

I keep hearing about the educated and liberal (for them) kids in Iran being a problem. Who doesn't want to ogle seriously good looking entertainers, play air guitar with rock stars and ride sport bikes? It's got to be just a matter of time. And a few real elections, a real opportunity to make a little money, and maybe even a few covert ops here and there, and the tide will start turning. The momentum will ultimately be irresistible.

I hope.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"For evil to triumph all it takes is for good men to do nothing"(W Churchill)
Thank goodness that won't happen...............
Not on our watch.........