Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

2 miles into ride...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 miles into ride...

Went out for a ride yesterday, with my two buddies, one just got a bike. My other Friend Jack has rode for years and never wears a helmet. I told him he needed a helmet were going on about a 300 mile trip. He actually did put a helmet on yesterday, first time I have ever saw him wear a helmet in the 7 years I have known him.

Well not even 2 miles after we left his house he blew and oil gasket...I see all this white smoke coming off his bike in my mirror, go to pull off to the side of the rode and look back again and hes fish tailing and slams into the ground and then slams into the median....my buddy was right beside him and somehow didn't get hit. I stopped ran back to him b/c we were going 55mph and I though he was for sure hurt bad. he pops up all dazed and confused....he was wearing a leather jacket, and he didn't get any rash other then on the side of his hand a bit...burnt a hole in the side of his shoes.

I have rode with this guy since I got my bike, and even though I always told him he was stupid for not wearing a helmet he finally listened. It doesn't matter if you are going 2 blocks or 2 states over, wear your gear you never know when somethings going to happen. KNOW HE KNOWS WHY I ALWAYS WEAR MY HELMET, his helmet has a crack in the side...and he slammed into the ground 3-4 times, then hit head first on the median....His helmet saved his life...and he told me he would never ride without one again...

Its one thing seeing all these wrecks on the Internet, but looking in your mirror and seeing your best friend wrecking....pretty damn scary, we were laughing about it at the bar tonight, but if he hadn't had his helmet we probably would have been at his funeral instead....

Old 09-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Default RE: 2 miles into ride...

That's a refreshing post to read. I, on the other hand would probably wreck the one time I don't wear all the gear!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wildcat

That's a refreshing post to read. I, on the other hand would probably wreck the one time I don't wear all the gear!
+1 Definitely glad to hear he's alright! Somebody was definitely looking out for him!

That's exactly it though, you never know when something is gonna happen. Back in Feb '06 a buddy of mine that lived right across the road from me was killed just over 1 mile away from his house (and mine) when a car turned left in front of him as he was coming home. Though this guy was wearing full gear and always did, it didn't help in this situation. But still goes to show it can happen anyways regardless of distance. Gotta dress for the crash, not for the ride.

Again glad he's alright and lives to ride again.... hopefully that's a nice loud wake up call for him to wear some freakin gear!! Sounds like it was

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Nate, that's just great! I'm so glad to hear he actually listened! Tell him we're all glad he listened to the "inner voice." (Read Bigpops thread if you don't understand). Hopefullly the bike is insured and will be back and running soon for him. I also hope his hand gets better soon. Hopefully not his throttle hand.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:21 PM

I posted something about wrecks on Fox's thread, but...IDK WTF it is, but for some reason, there have been ALOT of wrecks going on. Not only have I heard about some on here but there have been quite a few around here. I went on a long ride a few days ago. I left really early and didn't get back until after dark. I stopped in Urbana (here in Ohio) and while I was gassin' up, this guy randomly walks up to me and says, "Son, be careful out there. Some dips**t had to of been doing 100+ through town, then tried riding on one wheel, hit the curb and went flying right into a building". <that guy's dead. He didn't have any gear at all on. Now his brand new GSX-R 1000 is going to be a parts bike. Then my GF's parents were telling me how 4 people from their Church got in wrecks. The Pastor and his wife (one had to have an arm taken off, the other a leg), another couple (both had to be taken to the hospital and are doing much better now) and then one was a good family friend<sad this is, this gentleman was on a Ruckus 50, doing around 20 MPH, hit some gravel and went down<he was riding a 50cc scooter so he thought that he didn't need any gear, well now he's laying in a hospital bed with brain damage, etc..

Maybe it's "wrecking season", IDK, but I've said this before and I'll say it over-n-over again, please, ride safe, be VERY cautious of ALL of your surroundingsand always wear your gear. Not only would you be doing yourself a huge favor but you'd be helping others out as well.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 AM

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg

His helmet saved his life...and he told me he would never ride without one again...

i think you saved his life, good for you for heckling him to wear one.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great that he's okay, but why do people insist on learning they need to wear gear the hard way.

My co-worker (gigantic bag of 2-week old douche) crashed his R6 3-months after getting it (and he's never ridden a bike before, ever), and was attempting a wheelie.........at night..........on the highway. Needless to say, he flew right off. No gear. And when he came to work today (with his busted up R6 with a hanging left handlebar).........no gear. What a flaming sack of douche. His excuse the first time was "I don't plan on crashing."........now his excuse is "I already crashed, it won't happen again.". He's toast.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 AM

we have helmet law in california....i always wear mine...

Old 09-24-2007, 03:01 AM

yah im in cali too, but i wouldnt be caught dead (the ironey) without one where ever i lived.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:12 AM

You saved a man's life. Glad he was OK, and he now understands why you insist he wear one.

Quick Reply: 2 miles into ride...