North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Question for those who park outside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those who park outside.

Unlike most bike owners, I live in the city at an apt complex. I have no choice but to park my bike outside. I was wondering for those of you who park outside, what's the best way to secure the bike? Where should I run a security chain through? I was told not to run it through the wheels because they can remove the wheel. I've seen many bikes park in the city on the sidewalk chained to a post with a cover on it. I thought you're not allow to park on the sidewalk? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Philly. People park their bikes on the sidewalk in front of their rowhome all the time here, usually chained to the railing or basement security grate. I live in an apartment but have access to a private driveway with a gate. So that's where my bike is overnight. During the day however, I park it right in front of my apartment door.

A chain thru the frame makes the weakest point the chain or the lock. Thru the actual frame, they're not getting the bike without breaking one or the other. Alarms are a good deterrent. My bike has one. Alarms generally dissuade most thieves from stealing a bike because they're after quick, easy cash. And the minute it starts screaming, they decide there's about 1000 other bikes without an alarm they can take.

Alarms won't stop anyone who doesn't care about noise or someone targeting your bike specifically. A bike can be picked up and tossed in a van / box truck in under a minute. So noise isn't a large deterrent to that MO. And anyone that wants your bike specifically (custom bikes or people you've pissed off) will eventually get your bike. Best thing is alarm + chain + comprehensive insurance. Layers of security.

Apartment dwellers can also try approaching their apartment management and discuss options. They may be amenable to allowing you to install an anchor in a non-parking spot for you to secure a chain through. A lot of times, there is space too small for a car to occupy that a bike can. And they like to keep their renters happy, especially when all they have to do is say "Ok". More bikers in your complex and you can get together as a group to petition for motorcycle parking spots (3 motorcycles will fit in 1 parking spot which is better than each person taking a full sized spot).

Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Apartment dwellers can also try approaching their apartment management and discuss options. They may be amenable to allowing you to install an anchor in a non-parking spot for you to secure a chain through. A lot of times, there is space too small for a car to occupy that a bike can. And they like to keep their renters happy, especially when all they have to do is say "Ok". More bikers in your complex and you can get together as a group to petition for motorcycle parking spots (3 motorcycles will fit in 1 parking spot which is better than each person taking a full sized spot).

+1

I live in an Apartment and me and 2 other riders went to the Prop. Manager and talked about a Parking space that we could turn into a motorcycle parking stall. Turns out.. she was all for it.. Gave us 2 Parking spaces to park our motorcycles in and they are under the over hang with 2 posts. We all chain our bikes up to the posts and its been working perfectly so far!

All it takes is a couple of people to request something minor and it gets done!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 PM

can you specify the actual area where I should put the chain through to lock it securely?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually through the frame in the engine vent window.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let all your neighbors see you carrying around assault weapons they will leave your stuff alone lol or pull it inside like i do the maintenance guy calls my kitchen a garage

Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

there are plenty of cheap alarms on ebay, and if you dont care for wiring, the brake rotor alarms are cool too... anything that will make noise and draw attention to your bike because people are nosey