New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Yet another noob introduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another noob introduction

Hi All -

A soon to be owner of a 99 600 F4 (should be picking it up tonight or tomorrow). Bike has some miles to her, and some stoopid mods, but more on bike when I start asking all kindsa questions about how to do stuff.

I'm a 40ish guy in central NH getting my first sports bike.

Now for the back story. Rode a 74 CB through high school and most of college. Ended up selling it while I was still in college. Always wanted to get back on a bike, but wifey was worried about me getting hurt with her and young kids at home.

Fastforward to about 6 years ago. One day a group of bikes were going by, I said I so want to do that again, she said OK. I panicked. Didn't know what I wanted, but had seen plenty of stunna's doing silly things on sport bikes, and as I hadn't been on a bike in over 15 years the idea of a sport bike really intimidated me.

Ended up getting a Honda VTX 1300. Didn't do MSF, just took the test and was fine, but always regretted not taking the time to do the MSF training. Rode it probably about 8k miles a year for about 4 years. Was on a ride with my wife on back last year on a really rough road. She decided I should get a GoldWing and sell the VTX. I agreed to getting the 'wing, but not so much selling the X (but kept that part quiet). I didn't want to have just an "old mans bike".

After a year of owning the 'wing and the X never coming out of the garage I ended up selling it. That was about the same time that I found a group of New England riders that do some group rides in my area. Went for a ride with them one day, having never really met any of them. We took of in the morning and the pace was quite "spirited" compared to what I was used to. I find out at lunch that there are a number of them who are licensed racers. Even more are control riders / instructors at track days.

More talking / hanging out with these guys, they start talking about track days and the ARC. I'm of the opinion of track days and ARC being great, but on a 'wing, really??? I end up emailing one of the track day directors about the possibility of doing a track day on a 'wing. Turns out he previously had one and understands them well. Additionally a guy that works with him instructing ARC days does so on a wing and sometimes puts his 'wing on the track, so "Yea, come on".

I end up winning an Auction for a track day and going out on the 'wing. I love it! My request for my Birthday and Fathers Day present is a ARC + Track Day combo (love my family 'cause that's exactly what they got me).

For my first track day the bike was still way more capable than the rider. After taking ARC and doing another one, I've found that I'm running up against some lean angle limits fairly quickly (love the torque though), so I decide I'm in the market for a "sport bike". I've always had Honda's, might as well stick to it, so I've found a "roughish" 99 F4 which I'll be adding to the stable (not replacing anything) to use for Track Day's as well as "some" street riding (it's not going to be a dedicated track bike). Will post pics when I pick it up, but I'm pretty sure most of you have already seen a roughish yellow 99 F4.

So, look for me to be asking dumb questions on the F4 sub-forum, and Hi!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any pics, or better yet vids, of the wing on the track? That, I'd like to see...

You'll love the F4 on the track, at least compared to what you're used to.
BTW, how big of diamond did the wife end up getting???? lol.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the good ship CBRF! :-)

Good to hear that we're adding another F4 owner. :-) I have an F4 as well. They really are great bikes. Don't let the fact that they're carb'd deter you...as long as they are ridden & well maintained, they'll run & run.

I think it will make a very good bike for you...especially that you are a little older & have more common sense & control than some really young & 'excitable' newb riders. ;-) All j/k aside, the F4 has a more relaxed sport bike seating position than some of the newer sport bikes. This will also help you transition to the sport bike riding style.

Sounds like you found a good group of riders to be involved w/. W/ their experience, they should insist that you *ride your own ride* & stay within your limits & comfort zone. Additionally, doing track days like you are, you'll learn so much.

Post up that pic in the F4 section anyway... We love to see all bikes! ;-) BTW, mine started as a basic sunrise yellow F4. I did the split-seat conversion on it, among other things, to make it more responsive for me on the track.

Good to have you w/ us. Settle in & enjoy! :-)

Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 74demon
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any pics, or better yet vids, of the wing on the track? That, I'd like to see...

You'll love the F4 on the track, at least compared to what you're used to.
BTW, how big of diamond did the wife end up getting???? lol.
Ahh, pics. Yea, I have some. Lemme know if the links don't work.

First track day back in April

Track day in August

One of the instructors tailed me for a while as "says" he has some video, but I've yet to see it. I'll bug him to see if he can post it.

No diamond ring, she's more practical than that. Just a new Kitchen / Entry / Bathroom tile floor (ring would have been cheaper), which I'm still working on.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Welcome to the good ship CBRF! :-)

Good to hear that we're adding another F4 owner. :-) I have an F4 as well. They really are great bikes. Don't let the fact that they're carb'd deter you...as long as they are ridden & well maintained, they'll run & run.

I think it will make a very good bike for you...especially that you are a little older & have more common sense & control than some really young & 'excitable' newb riders. ;-) All j/k aside, the F4 has a more relaxed sport bike seating position than some of the newer sport bikes. This will also help you transition to the sport bike riding style.

Sounds like you found a good group of riders to be involved w/. W/ their experience, they should insist that you *ride your own ride* & stay within your limits & comfort zone. Additionally, doing track days like you are, you'll learn so much.

Post up that pic in the F4 section anyway... We love to see all bikes! ;-) BTW, mine started as a basic sunrise yellow F4. I did the split-seat conversion on it, among other things, to make it more responsive for me on the track.

Good to have you w/ us. Settle in & enjoy! :-)
Yea, the carb thing worries me, but only a bit. My VTX was carb'd as well, and I fortunately never had any problems. This whole "chain and sprocket" thing scares me more than the carbs at this point. The *bliss of shaft drive bikes* will be gone soon.

The *ride your own ride* thing has come up once or twice on group rides with them. They are a great group to ride with. On about half the rides I do my standard "tip the bike over on it's side" trick, just to prove to them that I can indeed pick it back up

I've been eyeballing that split seat conversion idea. Unfortunately that will probably have to wait a bit. I'll be starting with all the fluids, tires, brakes and inspecting what ever "must" get fixed from there before starting on all the stuff I *want* to do.

New trackday Auctions were just posted today in my area... Must. resist. temptation. to. bid. with. unknown. condition. of. . b.i.k.e...

Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice pics! You look good out there! :-)

I can def tell you that the F4 is an absolute fun & capable bike on the track. You'll love it. I've been tracking mine for a long time & enjoy it. Its not the fastest or newest bike out there but technique has a lot to do w/ riding the track as well. ;-) Funny story... I was at at a track day some time back & was enjoying a session zipping around the track (Willow Springs). I had a young guy behind me on a new 600RR trying his best to keep up w/ me. On the straights, he'd get fairly close but in the turns, he'd fall back. This went on for many laps. After the session, he followed me back to my pit area. He asked what I had modified on my F4 to run so fast. I told him - experience. ;-)