New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

WHAT BIKE??????????!!!!!!!!?????

Old 05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT BIKE??????????!!!!!!!!?????

iv had a little 250 ninja whick ive romped on for a year and now i want a new bike... i saw a r1 and a 929rr for sale for cheap by me. is that to big of a CC'c jump. should i go with a little 600 zinger for a bit?
- or buy a nice liter bike now no bigger then 1000cc and slowly grow into it. i do have ridng x-perience just wanna see what you got to say.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WHAT BIKE??????????!!!!!!!!?????

Let's start it this way...Guns don't kill people...stupid people with guns kill people...in other words, to answer your question, a jump of over 650+cc's is where the stupid comes in unless you are as serious about safety and your time on earth as you should be. Think of the risks daily and test the bike (929+) daily until you grow into it. A 250 to most of we liter bike riders is like riding a tri-cycle. It will be just the opposite for you. A 600 is very advisable in your case. Get a used one ('99-'03) and ride the wheels off of it for 6mo-1yr. Then if you still urge for more speed and power and you have matured on the streets, then gradute to a 1k. Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:05 PM

^Ill second this notion...

600 does me fine, and im the STUPID/ IDIOT/RETARDED ****ER that mashes 130 on surface streets at least 30 minutes of my day lol.... and for the extra BLEH of a 1000 you can do it on a 6.... get a 6, save money, and have more fun on the track.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: OneWheelinRR
^Ill second this notion...
I'll 3rd what they said, though not for the same reason as OneWheelin Map was right on with what he said. Find a good slightly used 600cc bike and master it for a year or so. You will more then likely get back what you pay for the bike or close to it.
I've told a few people this before and i'll tell you as well. The difference between a 600cc bike and a 1000cc bike is that the 600cc bike will try and kill you. The 1000cc bike wants to kill you [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 05-03-2005, 11:45 PM

I have to disagree..

Sniperdak says that he/she has riding experience. Just because most of it could be on a 250cc bike should not exclude him/her from a 1000cc bike. I went from a 400cc bike to a 1000cc mainly because the 600cc bikes at the time just didn't seem to fit me. I'm 68" tall and the CBR/Suzuki/Kawasaki 600s just didn't fit. It was either the pedal position, riding position, etc, etc. I just wasn't confortable sitting on the bikes, less alone driving them for 2-3 hours.

Granted, it took 3 months of careful riding before I felt comfortable on the CBR1000F. But the 93 CBR1000F weighs in at damn near 650 lbs wet. I sat on a 05 Hybusa today with 1600cc and it felt more like a 250cc to me. I was able to move it around effortlessly.

I've always told people to shop for a bike like you would shop for nice clothes. You want your clothes to fit you. Buy the bike that fits you.

The problem I see these days is "power to weight ratio". A 1000cc bike that weighs 400 lbs but produces 165 RWHP is doing exactly what NeonSpeed said. It's waiting patiently for you to make a mistake and it's gonna kill you!

The key is knowing this to be a fact and never exceeding your riding capabilities. I see no reason why you can't ride a 1000cc bike but you can be guarenteed that when you forget what your riding, grab a handful of throttle, and let the bike do what it wants. Your gonna suffer....

2 cents...

-Del

Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 AM

Oh boy, this is a touchy subject...... Take what I say with a caution...

This is the deal... First off, the statement to think about going from a 250cc to a 1kcc bike is truly inexperience talking. That is a HUGE jump! A 250 won't buck you off with a twist of the wrist, or freak you out with lifting the front wheel off the ground with just a little too much throttle. Something else to chew on, a 250 is also a LOT more forgiving entering and exiting turns, and 1K bikes like the R1 are very sensative to your steering inputs and throttle response. This does NOT mean that it can't be done with caution, but since u have never ridden a bike with that much HP, you have no idea how much confidence a 1k bike will give u into believing that you have it all under control, and that's when disaster happens. A bike with that much hp (R1 - 185hp) will taunt you to go fast. Just a little throttle and you have doubled the speed limit. Of course, we all can use self control and never speed or anything like that, ahh BS!! We all speed, and usually very early into owning the bike! The difference on the outcome comes with experience and time. Bigger bikes react differently than smaller ones. (smaller cc's) And there is some fun you would miss out on having a good CBR 600. I think if you take your time and learn to ride really well on a 600, moving up to a 1k will only enhance the experience. I have seen a LOT of guys that I have ridden with scared of their 600's cus it popped a wheelies unexpectedly, or lifted the front wheel in a turn and scared em stiff! That's part of riding, and how to handle it comes with time and practice. Don't rush it, let it come naturally and it will prepare you for the big boys!

The reason I stated its truly inexperence talking in the beginning of this message is, What is wrong with a 600?? 600's are much more powerful than your currently 250. Oh my gosh, no comparison!! They are easier to corner, easier to throw around, and compared to what you are use to a complete rocket! What is the rush??? If I were to give advice, find yourself a Used 600 and enjoy the heck out of it!! It will be QUITE enough to keep you busy for a long long time. I spent almost 2yrs on my 600, the funny thing is there are times I miss her! So much fun to throw her around in the corners!! Just easier to do it with... I was so use to it, I could take turns at insane speeds and still keep complete control. I changed bikes for the same reason as someone earlier in this post, I'm 5'11 and 250 pounds, the bike was a little small for me. The 1k I ride now is juuuuust right.. I plan on keeping her for quite a long while, she still has a lot of fun in store for me. But I still rode my 600 for 2yrs even with 13yrs of dirt/on road riding experience! Something else, I never got her fully open. The fastest I got my kat was 135 and I had more room for acceleration, just not enough road. 1k bikes get 135 MUUUUUUCH faster, but that's also a way to kill yourself faster if you dont' know what your doing!

I don't know your age, but insurance on a 1k bikes is considerably higher than on a 600. I guess statistics show that the larger bikes may cause more wrecks or something. But the insurance (esp if u buy new) will set u back a ways!! Owning a bike is much different than being able to afford it.

Not trying to dish a beating, just my 2cents worth. Everyone has to walk before they can run, so why rush it??? By the way, I know many many many people who own both 600's and 1k bikes, and u know what?? They all want a 250 to put in their garage to ride around as well. 250's are a ton of fun!!! When you feel like flogging the throttle and not breaking your pocketbook, a 250 is the ticket!! They are extremely underrated... It won't go a zillion mph, but they still are quite entertaining!

Good luck on whatever you decide, we are only giving you this advice

Old 05-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Well said Firefox. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-04-2005, 11:31 PM

I'll chime in again.

Firefox did point out some things that I guess I took for granted. I've been on 2, 3, and 4-wheelers pretty much since I could climb on. My first experience on a bike was a Yamaha 650 chopper that my dad built way back in 1972. Thing I remember the most was that it was WAY LOUD and a bish to start.

Experience DOES make a difference. If your riding experience is relatively short and you haven't ridden bikes of various sizes. Growing into a liter bike is the way to go. I've never owned a CBR600 so I can't really say how they are but a ton of people love them.

If I had not jumped to a liter bike, my second choice was a VFR750.

Another VERY nice bike with some advanced features NOT found on either the 600 or 1000..

-Del

Old 05-05-2005, 01:23 AM
L8X

yikes, hands off this one.... next thread...[:-]

Old 05-05-2005, 03:28 PM

I knew this was going to be a touchy subject... I ran these numbers off one of my favorite boards, maybe you'll find this interesting.. Check it out.

2004 VFR - 109.6 HP Weight - 469.6 lbs

2004 CBR 600RR - 117hp Weight - 370.4 lbs

1994 CBR 600 F2 - 100 hp Weight - 407.9 lbs

2004 GPZ 250 (Ninja) - 35hp Weight 321.9 Pounds

The VFR is an excellent bike!! No Doubt.. Its not much different than the CBR (F2) 600, except weight and the gas tank size. But I couldn't help but make the comparison how close the CBR F2 is compared to the VFR as far as peformance is concerned!! VFR's aren't cheap!!! They are pricey bikes, but u can get a nice F2 for what, 3,500??? And if you look at the weight difference, the VFR may have 9.6 more HP, but she also carries 62 extra pounds! If you minus that extra weight, and remove 9.6 hp and approximately 7,000 dollars you have basically the same bike as far as peformance is concerned. Something else, if u drop a F2 your not near as devestated as you would be to drop over a VFR! The price to make it look new again would put a huge dent in the pocketbook!! Parts for the F2 are virtually everywhere!

Something else, the more weight you carry the more you have to "counter" it in the turns. Anotherwords, the more leaning and countersteering it will take to manuever the bike. Once again, this comes with experience. Your 250 is quite light and nimble, but you would be jumping to a much heavier and more powerful bike. Accidentally cook into a turn a little too fast, and u can find your new ride a pile of rubbish! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the CBR (F4i Preferable) would be a better move due to an increase in only 50 pounds. The HP difference would be eye popping for u, but the weight wouldn't be too much different that what u are riding on now. Just think about your 250 with 35hp, with a little more weight and 117hp. Do u think you would be happier??? The VFR is not a totally bad choice, but be warned the extra weight (148 pounds more than now) would be a quite drastic change!

I'm not trying to kill your dreams, just trying to make you think about what would be a good move forward. Save some money, buy an older F2, learn it well. Once u got it down, go get your VFR!! But I think u may find you won't want to let go of that F2 once you get it!! Hahahahaha.. Everyone I know says that exact same thing.. "Man I should have divorced my wife first and kept my F2" hahahahahah.. Good luck to you man!

Search this Thread