New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

stoping in a turn? new rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stoping in a turn? new rider

I just got my first bike a 05 f4i and yet to take it on the road. Most the roads around where i live are more gradul bends then straights. The thing i am concerned the most with riding on the road is that people stop in the middle of these bends all the time for what ever reason wether its going in to a drive way or on to another road. If i am doing the speed limit and am leaning over to make the turn and i am a safe distance behind how do i stop? A lot of times there is opsosing traffic and they will be turing across that lane so just slowing would not work and i would need to stop completly. Could i slowly hit the front break as i let of the throttle and lean in more as it stands up? any info on this would be great thanks

Old 06-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Default RE: stoping in a turn? new rider

Hey, congrats on your bike. If the roads are gradul bends and you have good visibility going into them you shouldn't have much of a problem. If it's gradual, you shouldn't need to lean in that hard on the bike to maintain your line. If you find yourself coming up on a car that is stopped for what ever reason, then yeah apply a little braking force, just enough to shift some weight foward, and let off the throttle. As you slow down the bike is going to want to stand you back up. Let it bring you back up. Slow down and stop if you have to. If you do have to stop for a min, while you're sitting there, pump your brake so the cars coming up on you in the bend can see your light flash.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

I know it is hard to do all the time, but if you can't see where you will be by the time you can stop, you are driving either too fast for conditions or past your abilities. The question you ask is a good one, but remember that people that are answering you may have alot more skill than you have or will have for quite a while. I only have 8000 road miles (so I am far lessas experienced as alot of the other members)but I do everything I can to avoid having to slow down in other than a straight line.

Please, if you are moving at any type of speed and you are approaching a blind corner, slow down alot. Pull over and let people pass you if you must, but being a noob, you (and I) may not have the skillset needed to stop quickly on a curve from even reasonablespeeds.

Enjoy your bike and welcome to the site.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you take the MSF course, they'll teach you what to do

Old 06-22-2007, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: catamayo85

if you take the MSF course, they'll teach you what to do
QTF. I agree 100%. But I also think anyone on a bike should have some kind of Motorcyle Safty course. I've seen many friends end up in the hospital or worse because people riding with them had no idea what they were doing.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 PM

i took the MSF but if your doing 30 i cant see being able to straighten up and stop before you hit the cars in the other lane or the gaurd rail

Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 PM

Ditto on the MSF course... If your wanting to come to a complete stop in a turn apply both front and
rear breaks equally while down shifting to first and stop in a straight line..obviously your cant come to
complete stop while leaning. Well, I guess you can but you will be on the ground stopped.
You might want to take a quick peek around make sure someone is not going to run you over from
behind....this is why you shift to first. Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Brake carefully! [&:]

Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Welcome! Definitely look into the MSF.