New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Sportbiker Wanna-be

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportbiker Wanna-be

Hey folks, I've been lurking for a bit and found some good information here and have decided to join your forum. I've been riding motorcycles for..meh 2ish years, and currently ride a Vstrom 650, which I absolutely adore for long hours on the road and will be keeping, BUT I'm wanting something fun for shorter rides, up to a fullish day of riding (say 8 hours including breaks). I've sat on several bikes and test rode the odd bike on the rare occasion of being allowed, and talked to a lot of folks on the subject, and I've decided I really want to want an F4i, the sportbike guys I've spoken to seem to think its roomy and should fit the bill. I tend to disagree, but pretty much anything short of a gold wing seems cramped coming off of a Vstrom. So there's an '05 with well under 10,000 miles at a dealer here, I've sat on it (haven't actually ridden an F4 nor F4i), in really good condition with a small rough spot on the fairing, and found it really uncomfortable, SO here are some questions.

1.) Will it get better with time, i.e. will my body magically get used to tucking in and be OK with it somehow?

2.) Is there room for improvement, other than getting rid of my gut? IE are there some affordable risers out there that I haven't found yet?

3.) Anyone on here in Upstate SC with an F4 or F4i that would be willing to let me test ride your bike for a bit (and you can try out my big piggy in return). Dealer offered to let me putt around in the parking lot but that's pretty much useless for getting a feel for the bike more of a test of function.

4.) If I ride it for a few weeks and it turns out that I hate it and fear my knees and wrists are going to start plotting against me to put themselves out of their misery, will I be able to get my money back out of it? Dealer is asking 5K, NADA says 4900 for average retail in my area, what would YOU realistically pay for such a bike? It seems like a lot these bikes show up for sale on craigslist for a bit cheaper but are usually in really shatty condition, I think this one has been taken care of and was probably owned by a grown up.

And lastly...I've test ridden an FZ6 and found it to be quite comfy...almost too comfy for this type of riding...maybe I should just buy that instead? Surely no one would agree to that, no one on a forum called CBRforum anyway, right?

Thanks ahead

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-18-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: made your second 3 into a 4. ;-)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard! Glad you found us & joined up!

Believe it or not, w/ stock rearsets, the F4/F4i has a much more tame body position than a 600rr/etc. The F4/F4i is a really good multi-purpose sport bike. It makes a good commuter, sport-tourier, or twisty/track bike.

So, to ans your questions:

1) Yes, you'll get used to it once you're comfortable w/ the bike & have ridden it awhile to familiarize yourself w/ its characteristics.

2) Frankly, I wouldn't put bar-risers on it. To me, it defeats the purpose of the bike.
Speaking of your gut ;-), riding a sport bike does require good core strength. Perhaps this could be that impetus to work out more. ;-)

3) Sorry, can't help ya w/ this one...nowhere near you.
I would recommend telling the dealer that you want a REALISTIC preview of the bike by riding it farther than in the parking lot. If he wants to sell it & you have your license...

4) The F4i def holds its value. What year F4i (& mileage/cond) are you looking at. Base your decision process on KBB value & work from there.

While this is the CBRForum, we wouldn't want you to purchase a bike that you wouldn't feel comfortable riding. What's best for you is your choice. Of course, all of us here know the value of a CBR w/ its legendary dependability. ;-)

Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Welcome!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Welcome aboard! Glad you found us & joined up!

4) The F4i def holds its value. What year F4i (& mileage/cond) are you looking at. Base your decision process on KBB value & work from there.

Good call - the motorbike is a 2005 model, ~6K miles, Good to very good condition with small rough spot, maybe quarter-sized, on one of the fairings, KBB says 3800 which is significantly less than NADA value of $4900. Dealer is asking 5K. I'd honestly give him 3800, I'm confident I could get that for it if I don't like it. BUT I doubt they'd drop that far below asking price. I wish I could find one from an individual in decent shape...why for you guyz so ruff on you bikezes?!?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

out of curiosity, what dealership?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
out of curiosity, what dealership?
Cycle Specialties in Taylors. I don't think they are are an actual Honda dealership but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure they are a 'zuki dealer. I've never bought anything there so no comment on how good or bad they are to work with.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No, CS is not the Honda dealer, Performance on Wade Hampton is. I prefer Foothills out in Easley. I've never dealt with CS personally, but I've certainly heard rumors about them. I'll just share this link with you and let you make up your own mind.