New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

soon to be new rider

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soon to be new rider

whats up everyone, i have to admit i've been reading discussions about everyone's decisions/advise for new riders, especally when it was about what bike is best to start out on. It seems to me that the 600, while highly cautioned against, is the best option for power/forgivness/style...etc. Although I do not have the msf classes availble, as it is winter here, i plan to join them asap before i do anything, having said that is there any other steps to take to prepare?

Old 12-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Default RE: soon to be new rider

MSF course is definitely the way to go of course. Always ride like you're invisible - cus you are!!! Ride with others who are responsible and never in large packs being more than 4 or so... Riding with more than that opens up competition between others and many try to keep up as a new rider, so hopefully you have the restraint to understand your limits as well as your steel horse limits. Small tight groups are more easily seen and they will cover your back and ride more responsibly if they're your close friends. Statistically, accidents occur much more with new riders during their first 5-6 months. Basically the timeframe when you become comfortable with your motorcycle and start to push your limits on it so be careful by staying vigilant and a bit fearful always. Complacency kills in any machine driven situation... Find outlying areas to ride with minimal traffic so you can focus on your skills as a rider and be wary of surface conditions. You will notice that your surface awareness will increase significantly compared to auto driving where you could care much less about. Gravel, ice, water, etc. will become issues you may never have considered before. Just giving some thought for your upcoming adventure as a two wheel only driver which puts you in a class by yourself. Understand how she turns and how your lean, turn radius and tire position effect are all affected together in making it all come together. Turning always swings your tire toward the outside of the turn so be aware on how to dodge minor obstacles on the road. I.E. - Upcoming Brick/Rock on your left within a foot of your tire line up ahead may cause you to turn away, but last minute corrections may swing your tire into the obstacle very quickly - be aware of this and it's a minor note since my bud did not correct until the last 2 seconds and turned away but his front did swing out enough and he hit the obstacle... No more sheet metal to protect you and I wish you the best of luck.

Note: Just from what I've seen. Where you look is where you will end up if you stagnate and focus too much on ditches, revetments etc. It's an interesting phenomena, but looking through the turn is the key to getting thru it during your learning process. Regrettably I've seen as many others have, a rider scanning and stovepiping themselves NOT to get near a ditch or whatnot and somehow they gravitate towards it and eventually end up in it... Godspeed on this awesome sport and be safe!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Retired Administrator

Welcome to the forum....

Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Welcome to the Boards I`d say 600 is a good choice to start but i`d buy used and work from there,

Old 12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Retired Mod

welcome and enjoy the site

Old 12-19-2005, 04:00 PM

MSF will teach you everything you need to know...from there it's on you to ride your best. I took them and they were great. Welcome to the board...

Old 12-19-2005, 06:09 PM

thanks for the welcome and the input, i cant wait to take the freakin classes!!, next dilema is finding my cbr!?

Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 AM

ORIGINAL: AirGuardian

Note: Just from what I've seen. Where you look is where you will end up if you stagnate and focus too much on ditches, revetments etc. It's an interesting phenomena, but looking through the turn is the key to getting thru it during your learning process. Regrettably I've seen as many others have, a rider scanning and stovepiping themselves NOT to get near a ditch or whatnot and somehow they gravitate towards it and eventually end up in it... Godspeed on this awesome sport and be safe!!!
Nice point....emphasize....when you see something in the road that you have to avoid...look for the line to avoid it, don't stare at the obstacle you are trying to avoid...just ride right to it

Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Welcome to the site +1 on the used bike. MSF was good I thought also.