New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

oil smells gassy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil smells gassy

its running rich an if i roll back on the throttle fast it stumbles for a sec then reves up fine please help

Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Default RE: oil smells gassy

its a 01 honda 929

Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 AM

thats not good...make sure your choke isn't on[sm=chairshot.gif] haha jk....maybe try also adjusting the carbs if it has them...the idle adjustment as well...its def. either something with you carbs(jets) or your fuel injection if you have it which has been known to screw up in it's earlier years....Good luck...wish I could be of more help to ya!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the oil smells gassy - then you need to check into it. I'm not familiar with the 929 but I assume it to be fuel injected.

Gas in the oil was a problem on carbed bikes whe.re the floats stuck, and the petcock didn't work properly... the gas would over flow the float bowls, and get into the cylanders... wash past the rings and get into the oil that way. The sure sign was when you checked the oil level and it was higher than it started. That meant you'd have to clean the carbs and get the floats working again, and service the petcock. It is normally a double fail safe. Also immedidately do an oil/filter change because gas is not a good lubricant.

On an injected bike, I'm not sure how it would happen. As far as I understand it, it would require preasure to pump gas into the cylanders, and when the bike is off you wouldn't have that... I suppose that maybe it's gravity preasure doing it, and if that were the case there must be a simular stop flow mechanism that isn't working.

The only other way I could see gas getting into the oil (other than through cylander) would be through the crank case breather, and that would be really poor engineering.

As for running rich. If you havent' changed anything on the bike (gone back to stock exhaust for example) then I'd check the air filter. Typically a bike gets lean rather than rich over time ( fuel passages get blocked with varnish). Are you sure it is rich, and not lean? IF you chop the throttle does it pop when it slows down?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose the other way for it to seem rich would be clogged injectors not atomisizing the fuel properly... larger droplets of fuel are harder to ignite than smaller...

In any event - checking the plugs wouldn't hurt. If they're old replace them anyhow.