CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Noob in PA (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/noob-pa-122055/)

BakaN20 03-06-2011 10:43 PM

Noob in PA

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Coming from 600rr.net, I have an 08 cbr600rr and just wanted to expand my knowledge even more, so I decided to join here also. Looking forward to gaining more info from everyone. Thanks!

Here is a pic of my ride:

Attachment 49696

Added some more stuff to it, will take more pics when it is nicer out.

smokeeater 03-06-2011 11:08 PM

Nice ride, welcome

scorpionvmu 03-07-2011 12:10 AM

welcome to CBRF

wheres your mirrors man???

DrAwkwArD 03-07-2011 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu (Post 1022427)
welcome to CBRF

wheres your mirrors man???

Meh, who needs mirrors? I haven't ridden with mirrors since I started riding, lol.

Welcome.

jasonb 03-07-2011 12:15 AM

^^^^dot net member here

BakaN20 03-07-2011 02:25 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Lol about the mirrors. I was working on the bike and removed the upper cowl and didn't put back the mirrors since I had more stuff to do later, it is back on now though, lol.

Dragondima 03-07-2011 07:51 AM

Welcome to CBRF! What part of PA? I'm around Philly.

Xander F4i 03-07-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dragondima (Post 1022479)
Welcome to CBRF! What part of PA?

what they ^^^^ said! I'm right near i-80, roughly 80 miles in from Ohio.

Again, welcome to the Forum! And, nice looking bike!

gunslinger1274 03-07-2011 08:34 AM

Hey, welcome to the forum. PA here also, in the Poconos. Right near I-81/I -80 area.

BakaN20 03-07-2011 10:23 AM

Hey guys ,

My girlfriend lives in philly, so sometimes I am down in that area.

I live in Bushkill, the second exit off of I-80 after the toll both, near east stroudsburg.

I go to school at Penn State.

Today looks beautiful, but there is snow on the ground, I might practice riding up and down the street if it melts, lol.

DrAwkwArD 03-07-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BakaN20 (Post 1022508)
Hey guys ,

My girlfriend lives in philly, so sometimes I am down in that area.

I live in Bushkill, the second exit off of I-80 after the toll both, near east stroudsburg.

I go to school at Penn State.

Today looks beautiful, but there is snow on the ground, I might practice riding up and down the street if it melts, lol.

PSU FTW. I graduated in 2006. I miss it a lot! Tell the Willard preacher I said what's uuuup! hahahaha

BakaN20 03-11-2011 02:44 PM

Lol, none of my classes actually pass by willard. Well, I took the bike out yesterday, stalled and dropped it! Wasnt bad though, my frame sliders saved my fairings, I am a noob rider also, not sure if I mentioned that.

DrAwkwArD 03-11-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BakaN20 (Post 1024306)
Lol, none of my classes actually pass by willard. Well, I took the bike out yesterday, stalled and dropped it! Wasnt bad though, my frame sliders saved my fairings, I am a noob rider also, not sure if I mentioned that.

Well be careful.

I'd trade a few years off my life to be back in State College...the riding out there is AMAZING!!

kilgoretrout 03-11-2011 05:09 PM

Welcome aboard, man! I'm also from PA. Just south of Shippensburg. I graduated from Ship in 2005 and did 2 yrs at PSU off-campus.

But anyway... good to have you here. Nice bike. http://shredguitars.com/images/smilies/more/thumbs.gif

regener8ed 03-11-2011 11:56 PM

welcome to the forum!

BakaN20 03-13-2011 09:50 PM

Thanks guys! Who is near psu so we can ride, lol.

Xander F4i 03-14-2011 08:39 AM

I'm like 1-2 hours away. if you haven't taken an MSF course, I highly recommend signing up for one this season. It'll save you a little $$ on insurance, plus you live in a state that offers the course for free (unless you go to a Harley shop to take it). It'll also teach you some basic survival skills & they provide the bikes.

BakaN20 03-15-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i (Post 1025202)
I'm like 1-2 hours away. if you haven't taken an MSF course, I highly recommend signing up for one this season. It'll save you a little $$ on insurance, plus you live in a state that offers the course for free (unless you go to a Harley shop to take it). It'll also teach you some basic survival skills & they provide the bikes.

Thanks for the advice! I took the MSF course to get my License, but I was thinking of taking it again just as a refresher. Am I allowed to use the cbr if I already have my M endorsement? Would I still have to sit in the class or can i just do the motorcycle part to brush up on things.

MadHattr059 03-15-2011 09:00 PM

Take it to a big, open parking lot and practice, practice practice. It is the slow speed that is hardest to master well. Try doing figure 8's and tight turns till the handle bars are locked against the tank. Grab some old road cones and do some slaloms (or use the marking lane paint strips). Try a LOT of 30mph HARD braking (easing into it , of course), using front only, rear only and both together. Pick a point to start braking and gradually try stopping shorter and shorter. These are the skills you use the most in street-riding, not 120 mph sweepers. Get Your first 1-2k (at least!) before you try to find your limits on the highways and roads. Never forget, the bike can do things faster than YOU can! We are NOT all part of that elite, with the reflexes of formula racers. And have fun.

P.S. I'm coming back to riding after a 10 year hiatus. I've got over 80k in everything from snow, rain, sleet and hail. Ridden 25 hours non-stop before. Yet, I'm still doing all the training steps again, because I have less than 1k under my boots since I've re-started.

BakaN20 03-16-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1026022)
Take it to a big, open parking lot and practice, practice practice. It is the slow speed that is hardest to master well. Try doing figure 8's and tight turns till the handle bars are locked against the tank. Grab some old road cones and do some slaloms (or use the marking lane paint strips). Try a LOT of 30mph HARD braking (easing into it , of course), using front only, rear only and both together. Pick a point to start braking and gradually try stopping shorter and shorter. These are the skills you use the most in street-riding, not 120 mph sweepers. Get Your first 1-2k (at least!) before you try to find your limits on the highways and roads. Never forget, the bike can do things faster than YOU can! We are NOT all part of that elite, with the reflexes of formula racers. And have fun.

P.S. I'm coming back to riding after a 10 year hiatus. I've got over 80k in everything from snow, rain, sleet and hail. Ridden 25 hours non-stop before. Yet, I'm still doing all the training steps again, because I have less than 1k under my boots since I've re-started.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to practice at the Bryce Jordan parking lot once it gets warmer and when I bring my bike up, lol.

I realized I wasn't part of the elite when I dropped my bike no more than 300 ft from my house, lol.

Xander F4i 03-16-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by BakaN20 (Post 1025998)
Thanks for the advice! I took the MSF course to get my License, but I was thinking of taking it again just as a refresher. Am I allowed to use the cbr if I already have my M endorsement? Would I still have to sit in the class or can i just do the motorcycle part to brush up on things.

That's how I got my endorsement too...then I went back and took the course a second time, to brush up on skills once I got my F4i.

If you want to use your bike...you might sign up for the Experienced Rider Course (ERC). The ERC is a single day course, that you use your own bike & they do the classroom stuff a lot quicker (apparently a lot more abbreviated in the same parking lot). Either way, BRC (Basic Rider Course) or ERC, they ride rain or shine...just a heads up! If, you go the BRC route talk to the instructor, they may have a fuel injected bike that you can use.

BakaN20 03-18-2011 03:56 PM

I'm not at the level to take the erc, lol, barely above the brc. I'll check with the brc instructors near me to see if I can take it again. Its getting so beautiful out!