New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Newbie in The U.K....

Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in The U.K....

Hello....I've just registered....Looks like a handy place to be if you ride a CBR!

Quick introduction, as it's nearly bedtime....I live in Norfolk, United Kingdom, about halfway between Norwich and Gt.Yarmouth....I've been riding for 33 years in total: Off-road from the age of eight, and then on the road from sixteen (Ahhh....Fond memories of that little yellow TS50ER, and the freedom it gave me!)....Earlier this year, I decided to sell my 2007 BMW F800s and 2003 Kawasaki ZR7-S, as I didn't feel I was giving them the use they deserved since the sudden death, last year, of my father (Who also happened to be my best mate, and main riding companion)....The plan was to A)Pay off the credit card, and then B)Get a smallish trailbike to knock about on when the urge took me.

Part B didn't go quite to plan, when I ended up with a 300cc Taiwanese Quad instead....It was fantastic fun, but the build quality was atrocious, and riding it any distance on the road was somewhat of a chore: Particularly as something generally fell off it or failed!

The urge to get another "Proper" motorcycle quickly overtook me again, so I recently sold the quad with a view to using the proceeds to scratch a 20-year itch, and buying myself one of those red/white (With blue seat) CBR1000F-L hippos that I used to find so attractive back when I was younger....While searching, I fell in love with a slightly older girl: A CBR1000F-J, registered in November 1988, finished in a colour scheme that I don't recall seeing before (Basically white, but with a big swathe of red, with two shades of blue, not unlike the BMW "M" logo, running across the bike)....It looks well, has a new M.O.T, recent stainless exhaust system, and recent tyres.

The bike should be with me sometime this coming week (Can't wait!) and as soon as possible I'll get some pics of it on here for your perusal....Of the twenty-odd bikes that I've owned over the years, I've never had a Honda, and I must admit that I have no intimate knowledge of CBR's (Other than that the cam-chain tensioners can give problems), but I intend to keep the bike for a long time and get it really nice, as I think that one day the CBR1000F will be considered a classic....With this in mind, and without my Dad (A great man, who knew EVERYTHING, as any good Dad does!) to consult, I'm sure there will be many questions, so I look forward to talking to some of you in the future!

Night night....Ride safe....David.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum David!

So sorry to hear of your father's passing. He sounded like a great father, friend, & riding partner.

Good that plan B didn't go as planned! ;-) Sounds like a great bike you are getting. In the opinion here, the CBR1000F is already a classic! We have quite a number of owners here that can help you w/ your questions on maintenance, upgrades, etc.

Glad you are w/ us.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and Welcome to the CBR Forum!!!

Sorry to hear about your lose of a great dad.

Glad you went and got the CBR1000

Check out the Hurricane section, Lots of great people in there that will give you lots of advice.

It is a great section...

Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up Welcome from the UK

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your fathers passing but glad to hear you bought a CBR.
These bikes are classics - i ride a '93 CBR1000F and there a few Uk riders that run bikes from '87 onwards.

keep your eye on CBRF-UK rides for proposed rideouts and meets for any CBR.

If you need help/advise there are lots of people here who can help.

Cheers

Rick

Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Thankyou, gents, for the welcome....I'm pleased that the CBR1000F is already getting recognition as a classic: I think it must be one of the most significant bikes of it's era, and this gives me all the encouragement I need to make sure I get my new baby into tip-top condition, and keep it for a long while.

Also, I'll do my best to try and join other U.K. members on the rides!

Spoke to the vendor yesterday....The bike will be with me later this week, so hopefully I should have the first pics of it posted in the "Rides" section of the Hurricane Forum by the weekend, latest.

Thanks again,
David.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:59 PM

We'll look for the pics David.

I know its going to be an exciting day for you getting your bike! I would find it hard to sleep til it gets there! ;-) Anyway, hope it arrives safely & good to go.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Bike yet to arrive....We're looking at tomorrow or Tuesday now apparently, so pics will hopefully be up next weekend!

Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 AM

I know you are excited & the wait is probably near intolerable! ;-)

Look forward to seeing it & hearing about it arriving.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Welcome Baz
You found the right place for CBR owners to ask questions, vent frustration and generally pool knowledge and have a bit of fun.
If I were you I'd be very excited right now. Take care. Let her grow on you and remember to check everything thoroughly before you ride away on her. You're going to have a blast.