CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   newbie... no bike.... YET! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/newbie-no-bike-yet-4166/)

Carolinablazer 09-02-2005 06:41 PM

newbie... no bike.... YET!

what up guys. First post.... i was happy to find a cbr forum. Anyway, I am new to streetbikes and looking to get a good starter bike. I have always liked the CBR's and was thinkning about getting a newer 600 F4i. What do yall think? Is this a good starter bike? Do yall know of any others I sould consider? Power and stupid-fast acceleration are not concerns of mine right now so I figured the 600 would do fine... plus I'm only 160 lbs. Thanks for any help.

Andy

alienworkshop 09-02-2005 06:51 PM

RE: newbie... no bike.... YET!

if your not concerned about power and speed than get a 250. cause the f4is can haul ass. but my opinion is a 600 can be a great starter bike. just get something from the 90's you dont have to rev them as high, the gears arent as tall. and theyre cheaper and it wont be a crime to drop it like it would be droping a new f4i. so get a f3, f2 or maybe a f4.

alienworkshop 09-02-2005 06:58 PM

Or if your hearts set on a f4i. buy a 1000 dollar beater bike and ride that for a few months just to get your shifting and balance and basic skills down. so that way when you get that sweet f4i youll be less likely to drop it.

Carolinablazer 09-02-2005 08:26 PM

yeah, good call on the older bikes. The conceptual stuff about shifting and lean should come pretty natually to me cause i used to ride dirt bikes when I was younger. But i bet the streetbikes are a whole different riding experience so I look for an older cbr. Thx for the info. I'll let yall know when i pick one up.

Red Hooter 09-02-2005 08:47 PM

My advice would be to look into a safety course before buying a bike. It will help you to decide whether you can handle more power and even more importantly, how to handle the bike. I am brand new to riding and found it extremely helpful.

josho66 09-02-2005 09:13 PM

MSF class is a good place to start. I took one before I got my bike. I think that getting something older first and then moving up is a good idea. I got a new 600RR as my first bike but that was only cause it was $1800 under MSRP and couldn't pass it up. Good luck.

L8X 11-28-2005 03:30 AM

welcome!

cjbettis 11-28-2005 03:48 AM

ORIGINAL: alienworkshop

Or if your hearts set on a f4i. buy a 1000 dollar beater bike and ride that for a few months just to get your shifting and balance and basic skills down. so that way when you get that sweet f4i youll be less likely to drop it.
+1..and then could turn it into a stunter if you want...or get girlfriend/wife into riding also...no matter what can't loose on this path

Anubis 11-28-2005 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: alienworkshop

Can`t do any harm doin that, o and Welcome to the forum, ;)

billy42 11-28-2005 12:19 PM

Hi and welcome