New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Rider, New (to me) CBR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider, New (to me) CBR Owner

I am just beginning my journey of becoming a motorcycle rider. Learner's license tomorrow, rider training at the end of June and hopefully fully licensed by beginning of August. Something I've been drawn to all my life and I'm the perfect age for a perceived mid-life crisis.

I'm located in Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island in Canada.

I was lucky enough to buy an '04 CBR F4i from my brother in law who is an avid rider and was looking to downsize his bike inventory from 6 to 3 so this was one that he wasn't riding a ton and had to go. A super good deal on it and it has 18,000 km's. Well maintained and not ridden hard by him during his ownership. The bike will be transported from Alberta sometime this summer, so not sure exactly when I'll be swinging a leg over it. I've ridden it previously when out in Alberta visiting.

It's pretty much stock and I have small mod plans like flush mount signals, integrated taillight, smoked windscreen. Mostly esthetics to start. I'd love to get rid of the giant stock exhaust but I'm trying to keep my spending low for the first year.

I'm putting new tires on it so I'm starting on fresh rubber and would appreciate any feedback on Pirelli Angel GT's versus Michelin Pilot Road 4. I will be a fair weather rider sticking to road riding for the first few years. Not sure if I'll ever venture to a track day.

I've considered frame sliders being I'm a noob and will likely lay it down at some point. Any feedback on frame slider options is appreciated. Looks like 'no-cut' options aren't great for this particular fairing set up so I may have to modify to install.

I'll likely reach out in the future on other topics, but and looking forward to becoming part of the MC world and also the CBR and sport bike community. I always pictured myself on a loud Harley but learning on a super heavy bike didn't seem practical. Maybe when I'm older and fatter it will be more appropriate

Old 06-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

welcome and hi to the biking world and ride safely

Old 06-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi, welcome and great choice.
Statistically you will lay your bike down somewhere in the first year, however that is also how you learn to know the bike when you repair it again.
Good luck and safe km's to you.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There’s got to be a better way to get to know your bike, haha. I’m new to riding too. Rode dirt bikes when I was a teenager but at 46 this is my first bike, ‘98 CBR 600. Just started riding a few weeks ago.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pictures rider74! Bike looks clean and tidy and has low km's as noted in your other post. Also, good to know I'm not the only one starting the sport bike journey at 46

Old 06-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome from a fellow "mature" rider! Nice pics! I got my endorsement just a few years ago and will be hitting 52 this summer!

Good mod list and I'd recommend getting frame sliders before anything else. As for the "tail tidy", you might look into the dremel option. Then you can put that $$$ towards an exhaust. That stock can is a freaking bazooka!

Old 06-05-2020, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 325 Likes on 267 Posts

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. Awesome looking bike. I have that exact year and color scheme so I might be biased.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:37 PM

Thanks y’all. Hey Doc, the pipe was on when I got the bike and you’re right it’s huge. But it’s great to hang my wet jacket on when I get done riding here in Florida, haha. I would like a smaller one but it has a great rumble sound, not to pitchy. Anybody got suggestions on a low pitch pipe?

Old 06-06-2020, 01:15 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a silvertail custom made out of carbon and titanium.
The whole neigborhood wakes when I start the bike at 6.30 when I go off to work.
It has such a deep rumble that my wife hears me going for the first mile....

****-off neighbor guarantee 100%

Old 06-06-2020, 09:13 AM

That’s super clean and waaaay smaller than mine.

Quick Reply: New Rider, New (to me) CBR Owner