New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Rider/Member here

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Rider/Member here

LOL its sweet tea, but good point mate, personally i perfer the Smith and Wesson .44 Russians, very accurate and reliable gun for the time

http://www.horstheld.com/31986.jpg

Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard the Russian was an excellent weapon in it's day, favoured by some notorious gunfighters=was it Hickok, Bill Tilghman or somebody else that used the Russian ?- I'll have to go back and read 'triggernometry' again - it's been awhile.
You may enjoy this one.........

Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

I've heard the Russian was an excellent weapon in it's day, favoured by some notorious gunfighters=was it Hickok, Bill Tilghman or somebody else that used the Russian ?- I'll have to go back and read 'triggernometry' again - it's been awhile.
You may enjoy this one.........
Yes, the Russian was one of the most used pistols by the gunfighters/marshals and you are correct on all accounts, it was both hickok and tilghman who perfered the russian, in fact of all the gunfighters/marshals there was only one who didnt perfer the .44 russian and that was John Wesley Hardin, he perferred Colt .41 caliber pistols.
i dont care much for derringers but that is one sweet looking derringer.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 AM

It's a weapon that's easy to carry (don't need a permit here) and quick to deploy, so yeah, it'll do. 2 x 38special semi-nickel hollow soft points - do the job at close range.....just ****, point, and pull - packs a bit of a kick, though, not for the limp-wristed !

Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 AM

LOL my buddy had a .44 desert eagle, now that thing would break your wrist, ill stick to my .45 though Pete, the old girl just feels right to my hand.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:53 AM

Doesn't the Eagle have an adjustable gas recoil ?
The one I fired was a pretty easy weapon (for its size) to handle........
but then I was blessed with very strong wrists.....
maybe it had been worked, I dunno.....
(I'd love to own one, but impossible to get here)
Plenty of AK47's though - every gangsta's got one ![X(]
The 45's a great weapon, but hard to deploy quickly. Nice slow round, about 880FPS if I remember right, like being hit by a truck.....

Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 AM

as i told my chief in the navy as we were having this convo about how i wished the navy still used .45's instead of 9mm's Hes like the 9mm has more muzzle velocity than the .45 so its a better gun, i said ok, Demo time. i wadded up a piece of paper and threw it at my chief as hard as i could and said see the paper hit you really fast, but you didnt feel it b/c it was too light, now let me throw this stapler at you and tell me how you feel IN THE MORNING when you wake up. the stapler will take a second to get there but you damn sure know when its arrived. LOL.

I loved my AR-15 my ex took and sold when we split, she cleaned out the house while i was at work. the whole argument that lead up to the seperation and divorce started b/c me and my friends were talking and i said id love to go to college and get a degree and my wife said so why dont you get off your *** and go get one? i said b/c we cant afford it one of us has to work full time while the other goes to school. i cant go to college till you graduate and seeing as how your hells bent on being a professional student i cant do that youve been going to college for 7 years and dont have a degree yet, hell people that go to school for 7 years are called DOCTORS. she got kinda pissed over that remark.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 AM

Here is my take, I have a little bit of experience with firearms and I like the 9mm and 45 auto. True, the 45 throws a bigger, slower round than the 9mm. I believe that the stopping power of a certain round is much less of a factor than shot placement.Not that I have had to but if the shots are placed where they need to be 45 or 9mm won't make a bit of difference. True story....State Trooper involved inclose range shoot out w/bad guy, State Trooper has a 357 magnum....ballistically speaking pretty much an unequaled round....loser boy has a .22 long rifle caliber pistol....State Trooper puts 5 of 6 rounds into bad guy...bad guy lives....bad guy puts one round in Troopers left arm....bullet bounces of bone...tears through aorta...Trooper bleeds outs and dies. Though an arm shot with a .22 is most likely to pisssomeone off...the unlucky ricochet ended up ripping into center mass and caused major trauma. Loser boyhad more holes in him but they were all non-life threatening injuries. God Bless that Trooper....I hope loser boy rots in Hell. Shot placement.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 PM

yes, shot placement has alot to do with it. True story: a local police officer put 15 rounds into a guy, centermass with a 9mm. guy kept coming, he was high on wet. the guys partner luckily was carrying a .45, put 2 rounds into him, once in the top shoulder, the other in the left arm. Guy went down for the count, the guy was within 10 feet of the other officer with a knife. Within 9 foot a guy with a knife can kill you before you shoot him. they teach it at the academy. The guy died at the scene. The next day 9mm was prohibited to be carried by patrol officers. the lowest they can carry is a .40, the exception is police detectives, they can still carry .38's.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM

I've seen an escapee, high on MaryJane, take 7x 9mm rounds, including one in the head, and he was still fighting the CO's and police when they threw him in the vehicle.
At the end of the day, it's mostly what you're comfortable with, provided you can hit what you aim at. The 45 will knock you over no matter where you're hit, due to the weight and lower muzzle velocity - the other rounds are just too fast.
My weapon of choice ? - a Colt Woodsman 22

Quick Reply: New Rider/Member here