New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New with a question about helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New with a question about helmets

Hi guys,

I was looking online at helmets and am a little bit overwhelmed. With jackets too but I have a feeling that's just personal preference in style.

But as for helmets ... I see helmets ranging from 100 bucks to 700. Is this a brand thing? Will the pricier ones do a better job at protection? You get what you pay for?

If it is in fact better than I would have no problem purchasing a more expensive one, such as a high end Shoei or Arai.

I am liking the Element Fastrack with bluetooth but I'm not sure if it would be fine for me considering its price.

By the way, no I don't have a motorcycle yet. I'm just doing research because I am taking the rider course in a month and then purchasing a bike after that. I just like to learn as much as possible before I actually start riding.

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello scr1be ~ man, that's a tall order; probably better asked in the Riding Gear Section. Anyways, you'll at least want to get one that's SNELL approved. I'm under the impression that most riders (me included) use mid-priced helmets: Scorpion, HJC, ICON, Joe Rocket, so on. A good word of advise would be to get the highest quality helmet that your budget allows. You're correct in as far as you get what you pay for (usually). That pretty much holds true with most riding gear (jackets, gloves, ect.).

One thing about purchasing on-line is that you don't get to try on the items. With protective apparel, it's all about the fit. If it doesn't fit good, it won't do what it's supposed to. Also, you don't get to examine the quality of the garment. Some guys will go to motorcycle shops, try on what they want, and then order it on-line where it can oftentimes be found cheaper.

I have to give you compliments for thinking about safety before everything else You got your head on straight and you ought to protect it with a good lid, lol. Here's an article from Sport Rider Magazine: LINK

Welcome to the forum and let us in on your progress

Last edited by Incognito; 03-31-2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added a bunch of stuff
Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM

okay, for the jacket and helmet, i will try on as many as possible and pick the one that fits best on me.

as for gloves, i see "short" gloves and "full" gloves. if i'm not going to the track, i would only wear the "short" glove right? people who just ride casually don't actually wear full gauntlet gloves do they?

also, what about boots? can i just wear my timberlands? do i really have to get a motorcycle boot? again, no track for me. just casual riding.

lastly, pants. am i supposed to buy pants too?? i understand that a lot of people are fully geared up at the track ... but how is it on the regular road, commuting to work, going to the store, etc. do you fully gear up for that? is that the norm?

i was planning to just get a helmet, jacket with armor (shoulders, elbows, and a little back protection), and short gloves.

as for the lower half of my body i was just going to wear jeans and timbs.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 AM

If you want maximum protection, get gauntlets, motorcycle boots & pants, helmet and jacket. You are typically required to wear full gear at the track, but to be honest, most motorcycle accidents occur at 30mph or less (unless the statistics have changed since I looked at them).

You absolutely need shoes that cover your ankles, Timbs should be ok. I wear my old combat boots. However, I plan to get riding boots and pants as soon as I scrape together the cash.

Chances are you will be fine with jeans and Timbs, but personally, I would take every possible precaution. Spending an extra 300-600 bucks on gauntlets, boots, and pants is a small price to pay when you consider the money they can save you if you have an accident. Besides, high quality gear will last you several seasons. Consider it an investment.