New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Project Owner from MI

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Project Owner from MI

Hey folks!
I'm new to CBRs but not to riding in general. I've had a couple bikes in the past and currently ride an 05 Kawi ZX6R (which I love). I'm joining here and introducing myself, however, because I just picked up a project and am hoping to hang out here and gain some knowledge and eventually be able to share as well.
Last night I bought this little number:
Name:  IMG_2688_zps205c748f.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  124.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2698_zps88bf9dce.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  131.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2660_zps9c57823b.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  116.1 KB
It's a 1990 CBR600 that someone dropped a F2 engine in and then apparently never touched again. I'm hoping to spend some time getting it running and then playing with it cosmetically to make it a badass streetfighter.

I'm really looking forward to learning from all the (hopefully) knowledgable people on this site as I work through getting this thing back on the road!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum,

I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting interested people to assist you with the rebuild. Also have a look for rebuild threads in the 600 sections of the forum.

Perhaps even start a streetfighter rebuild thread.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You have your work cut out for ya....Enjoy!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Welcome to the CBR Forum,

I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting interested people to assist you with the rebuild. Also have a look for rebuild threads in the 600 sections of the forum.

Perhaps even start a streetfighter rebuild thread.

Cheers, SB
Already started looking and there is absolutely some good stuff around that I'm going to have to take advantage of in my build.

I will definitely start a thread of my own once I get some real work done. My first task will be figuring out the wiring that's going on and then start planning what to do with it.

Probably one of the first big things I'll do is work on a swingarm swap so I can throw a 160 - 180 sized tire on the rear.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 PM

Also, if anyone is interested, here's a link to a blog post about the cosmetic work I did on my last bike: 2005 ZX6R Cosmetic Overhaul. There is a little bit of mechanical stuff mentioned, but not really discussed much and not everything is mentioned because it focusses on the cosmetic stuff.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome, keep us updated with your work

Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 AM

Welcome!

We're from Michigan as well, we're in East Lansing. We also have a 1990 CBR600. This site has been a great help to us the whole month we have owned our bike, I'm sure you will find what you need here, the people are awesome!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

YES YES YES!!!! It's awesome to have another Fighter-er here! That does look like a sweet project. That's a cool little motor swap to put an F2 motor into the little 'cane! Throw up a build thread in the fighter section ASAP! What are your plans for it? What swingarm were you thinking of putting on there? Where abouts in MI are you?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Welcome....project looks like a ton of fun (not)!!! Enjoy the site!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
YES YES YES!!!! It's awesome to have another Fighter-er here! That does look like a sweet project. That's a cool little motor swap to put an F2 motor into the little 'cane! Throw up a build thread in the fighter section ASAP! What are your plans for it? What swingarm were you thinking of putting on there? Where abouts in MI are you?
Don't have tons of solid plans yet as I've only even known of it's existence for about 4 days and only owned it for about 36 hours. I'm definitely going to try to get it wired up properly and running before anything else. Probably going to chop the tail (maybe rear subframe swap?) and work on the swingarm swap after it's running...then idk yet

I don't know for sure yet which swingarm to swap to...was thinking maybe F3, but really only because I'm guessing they are more common

I'm in Grand Rapids area - just east of GR really

Quick Reply: New Project Owner from MI