New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new to motorcycles- need some info

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to motorcycles- need some info

I am new to motorcycles and I am thinking about buying a CBR. They seem like great reliable bikes that can be a lot of fun. I am looking for some suggestions or info on what to look for in buying a bike for the first time. please let me know. im excited to get a hold of one

Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 AM

I'll tell you this Motorcycle are the most fun you will have or atleast it is for 90% of riders.

Safety is key don't be a fool a pop a wheelie looks cool! Very Cool but looking cool isn't worth all your flesh from your arm being ripped off. CBRs are great bikes because There light yet extremely fast I went 150 on my 95 CBR 600 so I can only imagine what a 999 can do.

I'm 6'2 - 6'3 and weigh about 180ish and I love the feel of a CBR only bike I would rather get is a ducati. but that's a whole other price range from where I am at.

I love them fun like no other only thing is if you get one without fuel injection prepare to clean that carb every summer (have to do this with all carb bikes)

I didn't know that my first time and Dealt with having to warm up my bike for 10-15 minutes every time before going out on a ride cause carbs were clogged. Sucks having a group of riders have to wait for you 2-3 times a day for being to cheap to get it cleaned cost: 300 dollars or so, or Just leave your bike with no gas in it over winter so the gas doesn't harden

Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard Grant!

There are many used motorcycle buyers guides online. Just google that & you'll get a lot of helpful tips. We have many tips here on buying used bikes as well.

Even w/ that information in hand, it can be difficult for an inexperienced person to inspect a motorcycle. Basically, if you don't have the first-hand knowledge in what to look for on a used bike, your best bet would be to have a *pre-purchase inspection done at the local dealer. You'll pay for it, about $85, but its inexpensive insurance in the long run in getting a good bike. The inspection will tell you what the bike needs or doesn't need, & what may be wrong w/ it - if anything. This will benefit the seller as much as you the buyer.

In the meantime, do your research on basics of what to look for. When you're more serious toward purchase, have the pre-purchase inspection done.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 AM

another trick when buying a bike first time. is
A) go with someone that knows something about motorcycles.
B) Check maintenance history, spark plugs, carb clean out, brakes, CLUTCH!
C) GO THRU ALL GEARS gears should work easily if you have to skip a gear cluth is probably bad and will go bad within a month of a new rider riding.
D) ask the person selling it to drive it first, in front of you than you drive it. (incase breaks dont work or w/e he takes the fall not you)
E) before checking out a bike make sure it isn't warmed up before you get there. tell them if its warm you wont buy it. a smart buyer wants to see what he's going to have to put up with. Carbs a dirty and theres a 10-15 minute wait before bike is ready to go you want to see it now rather than later.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Do you guys have any recommendations for a first bike. I was thinking of a CBR600. I don't think I want anything with a bigger engine than that for my first. Do you recommend an older or newer bike? I have seen a lot of 97 or 2001 models that I have had my eye on. I am eager to hear some opinions

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Default help choosing first bike

I am getting close to being able to make my first purchase. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on which model or which year of Honda CBR's would be a good decision for a first motorcycle.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on several factors; likes/dislikes, availability, budget, insurance costs, etc. Do you have a favorite among all the CBR models that you prefer? I certainly would not recommend anything over a 600 for a new rider.

Have you taken the MSF Course Motorcycle Safety Foundation Perhaps take the course first & make you decision afterward.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have no previous motorcycle experience, I would recommend a 250-500cc sized bike, and caution against a 600cc (but not completely rule it out). Several people have started out on 600cc or larger and done just fine, but I would say they are exceptions to the rule. The more performance a bike offers, the easier it is to get up to speed; up to speeds that most new riders just aren't equipped to safely handle. Bikes can go from 0 to stupid before you know it, so much so that even moderately experienced riders can get in over their head occasionally.

I would only recommend a 600cc or larger bike to someone that I know is naturally cautious and knows what self-control is and knows how to exercise it.

Sure most people will out-grow a 250-500cc bike in a short time, but at least they will learn the ropes on a bike that doesn't get them in trouble without a little effort. (even a 250 ninja or cbr will go from 0 to stupid before people realize it's not a good idea.)