New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to motorcycles

Hey guys.

I just wanted to get a few people's opinions on a first motorcycle. I have been researching and reading on purchasing a cbr600rr. I found one I like and I am extremely close to picking it up soon. I just wanted to hear what people thought about having a 600 bike for someones first bike. I have absolutely no riding experience. From what I read everyone's views seem to be split in half saying its okay or saying to start smaller. I feel pretty confident in my responsibility to be able to ride safely et cetera.

On a side note I will be taking the MSF course in a week. (Had to book it two months in advance).

Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Mad
Default RE: New to motorcycles

I am with the opinion that a 600 would be fine. It's all about how you ride it. Ride a bike like a moron and you'll get hurt. There is nothing wrong with weekend twisties but save the real aggressive riding for the track. Don't forget to factor in the price of gear when buying a bike. Taking the MSF course is a definiant plus. Take is slow and don't trying dragging knee and popping wheelies your first week out. Good luck and be safe...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:59 PM

Already got the gear. And yeah I definitely don't plan on that kind of stuff for a long long time. If i even attempt it.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ttysco,

I'm on my first bike. It's a '94 CBR600 F2. I've just hit a 100 miles logged on it. I'm not sure about the newer RR's but I feel that the 600 hits a very comfortable sweetspot for me. It's larger than the MSF bikes, It's not incredibly heavy and has the power to make you feel comfortable on the highway without overpowering you. I still recommend that you complete the course before buying.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

I have absolutely no riding experience.
read this post before you buy anything.

https://cbrforum.com/m_372738/tm.htm

Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Welcome to the site. A 600rr is a big bike to start with imo, but lots of members on the site will tell you that if you are safe and respect the machine, you'll be able to learn ok. I personally am extremely glad that I started out on a Ninja 250. Be safe out there. Take an MSF course ASAP if you really want to learn the basics of riding safe.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: woo545

Ttysco,

I'm on my first bike. It's a '94 CBR600 F2. I've just hit a 100 miles logged on it. I'm not sure about the newer RR's but I feel that the 600 hits a very comfortable sweetspot for me. It's larger than the MSF bikes, It's not incredibly heavy and has the power to make you feel comfortable on the highway without overpowering you. I still recommend that you complete the course before buying.
I read in another post that the newer 600s are a lot more powerful than the older models. Also, maturity level will play a big part in it. If you are a big thrill seeker....maybe under 30 adult male....get something lower powered to help keep from killing yourself. I think I'd be dead right now if I had bought a bike when I was 18. If you are older and more concious about life and the possiblities of being severely maimed...than an older 600 might not be that bad of a choice. Always, always, always wear your gear. If it's too hot to wear it, then it's too hot to ride. Also know the old adage....everyone crashes. Don't know if you would prefer to crash on a used $2000 bike versus a $10,000 one. I say go older until you get more experience.

Also note, the link that the other person placed on this thread is of someone who was exceeding the speed limit... and probably violated every single safety tip offered by MSF. It's not necessarily the bike that kills the person but the actions of that individual or someone around them. That being said...having a sport bike, you may be more prone to do stupid things like speed BUT you can kill yourself on any bike just as easily. Don't be an *** and the 600 will probably be fine.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 AM

The F2 is nothing like the newer RR. If you decide to start on it then do a search here for new rider and follow some of the advice handed out. Start in parking lots, then streets, then freeways and have someone experienced take you to the twisties. If you feel that things are moving to quickly then be smart and slow down. The RR is a fantastic machine and handles well.

I would personally recommend something else to start on but whatever you choose ride safe and ride smart.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie

Hi and [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the site!
Glad to hear you are taking the MSF and ALWAYS wear your gear!
The 600RR might be kind of intimidating to ride seeing as you have never ridden a motorcycle before.I would suggest buying a used F2-F3 as a first bike.
Alot of them out there and easy to ride.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 AM

This has been discussed many, many times, so use the search function if you want to.

My opinion is that, yes, a cautious rider can start on a modern supersport and not kill himself. But you will become a better rider faster if you start on something a little more forgiving, that you don't have to be scared of. You want a bike that will allow you to push your limits and experiment with throttle, lean angles, braking, etc. You don't want a bike that will dump you on your *** the first time you get on the throttle too hard coming out of a turn or grab too much brake in a panic maneuver.

Quick Reply: New to motorcycles