New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new member with question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member with question

what's up guys, ive been reading through all these posts and have learned a thing or two so far. I was just wondering if I really should buy a cbr600rr as a first bike since i really have no riding experience and will be taking a motorcyle course to learn. ive heard different things like buying a cheap bike to learn and then buying the bike you want and i also hear just buy the bike you want and learn on it. From reading the posts some of you have bought the cbr as a first bike and learned on it? well just wondering..thanks for the input..oh yeah i was also wondering since im a short guy (5'7" - 5'8") will i be able to reach the ground comfortablly? i will be going to some dealerships to check it out myself but just wanted to get some heads up before i do.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Default RE: new member with question

welcome! i say get what you want. 600rr's came out in '03 so you should be able to find a good used one for a decent price. as long as you ride with a level head and respect the bike you'll be fine. signing up for the course is a good idea. and you're not too short at all. i'm 5'9 and very comfortable on my bike. there are a few "short" people on here who have no problems either. also, the bike could always be lowered (if that's your thing). good luck!

Old 03-07-2006, 08:00 PM

ya after i got my honda my buddy julian got his first bike cuz he liked how my new one looked, hes about 5'8" and seats a little high but he says hes comfortable on it. it all depends on what feels more comfortable on. ride safe and welcome to the boards

Old 03-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

Get the 1000rr but only twist the throttle 60% as much. A 600cc bike is fast, but take it easy and you'll be fine. enjoy

Old 03-07-2006, 11:38 PM

I think you would be smarter to buy a cheap used bike. Doesn't even have to be a crotch-rocket. Buy cheap!! If by some twist of fate you dump it the loss hopefully will be minimal (and you dont get hurt). My first road bike was a 1995 Kawasaki 500ex. I paid $2000 for it. It was a great deal cause it only had 1100 miles on it and there wasn't a scratch on it. Yes even with several years of experience under my belt I did end up dumping it trying to avoid a deer. I was pissed but then again i was more relieved that it was a used bike and not a brand new bike. I would urge you to start simple and as you get better at handling your bike and more comfortable on it, then and only then should you move into a more expensive toy. Its just a thought.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 AM

I agree that used would be a good place to start. MSF class is a great starting point also.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 AM

It may sound "gay" or whatever but taking some riding classes is definately a plus. For instance the local TECH college near here has multiple skill level riding classes that are put on every other year. Sure you have to spend about $75 bucks per person and you do have to use your own bike but what better way to get first hand training. Worth its weight in gold if you ask me. Each year when your ready for the next skill level you get even more instruction and coaching not to memtion your confidence level skyrockets as you learn to trust your tires, your bike ,and most important, YOURSELF. Check your local area cause you might find something like this in your neck of the woods.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:01 AM

Welcome to the site You know yourself better than any other, be honest if you got the 600RR could you control yourself to learn progressiveley? If so go ahead, i personally started my road licence with a 400, was ok and cheap on insurance for a road bike. But i wouldn`t have been able to remain sensible on a bigger bike, and wouldn`t like to think of the cost it could of caused me.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:22 AM

Welcome!!

First off, MSF, MSF, MSF. If I were you, I wouldn't even BUY a bike till you've completed the MSF.

That said, a 600RR is probably a bit much for a starter bike. Sure, there are probably dozens of people who could post up here saying they started on a 600RR (or comparable model) and did just fine, but for every ONE who did, there are probably ten more who crashed and burned. I'd be on the lookout for a slightly older model -- maybe an F3 or an F4... something a little less expensive, and a little tamer. Besides, you don't want to go blowing your life savings on a new (or newish) bike -- you WILL drop it at some point, and wouldn't you be crushed to see harm come to your beautiful new bike? A slightly older bike is much better suited for a newbie.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

I started small, but guys feel stupid doing that. Don't buy a new bike b/c you are bound to drop it. If you do buy new, make your first purchase for it frame sliders before it leaves the dealership.

Quick Reply: new member with question