New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new member lots of advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new member lots of advice wanted

ORIGINAL: daveh98

question. I have a feeling that I will feel confident with all my gear on and will do excellent on the 250cc bikes during the MSF. I am motivated and tend to excel in learning situations. My real fears are about the bikes during unforseen circumstances. For example: I am doing 30mph and then hit a bump in the road. How easy is it for the hand to just rev this type of bike into a wheelie? How easy is it to flip if you are being careful? What about stoppies? The breaks are great so how easy is it to stoppie and flip over if I have to break? These are things that I dont think I will learn on a 250 or 500 and are the realities with the 600rr.

Again thanks for all the replies; I am "taking notes." lol...
Trust me on this one when you take your MSF class they will teach you everything you need to know. They will cover you on how to saftly apply your breaks and saftly run over objects etc.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

If a Katana was too scary, the 600rr will be more so. The ergos/power/brakes are all taken to extremes on an RR. If you want me to opine honestly, I say don't get one.
He wasn't asking for your opinion.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 PM

Here is where I am at now. This weekend (27-29th) I am taking an MSF basic rider course. I went today and bought full gear. I got a good helmet, race jacket, padded gloves and boots. Totaling about 500 bucks. Its awkward spending 250 for the course (private course with less members) and 500 for gear without evening having a bike! oh well I digress.

Anyways, I plan to be active on the forums and am looking forward to getting into this course. I guess the great thing right now is....motorcycles scare the crap out of me! So i guess I have that respect right up front.

There is something to be said of the character that a person has when they start right out talking like this. It shows your thinking very smart. Let me know if the MSF course taught you this.... push left, lean right, turn right..... push right, lean left, turn left.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Retired Moderator

My real fears are about the bikes during unforseen circumstances. For example: I am doing 30mph and then hit a bump in the road. How easy is it for the hand to just rev this type of bike into a wheelie? How easy is it to flip if you are being careful? What about stoppies? The breaks are great so how easy is it to stoppie and flip over if I have to break? These are things that I dont think I will learn on a 250 or 500 and are the realities with the 600rr.
You will learn a technique called "S.I.P.D.E."

Scan
Identify
Predict
Decide
Execute.

Scan - you should scan about 12 seconds ahead of the motorcycle. You should scan or think about what is going to happen to you in the near future.

Identify - you should identify those items, issues,or targets, that could cause you a concern or problem.

Predict- now that you have identified those concerns or problems, it is time to predict how they could impact you. Hopefully they won't impact you, but how they could impact your safety.

Decide- You have Scanned, Identified a concern or problem now it is time to Decide what to do.

Execute - So Do It. You have Scanned for a concern, Identified the concern or problem, Predicted how it will impact your safety, Decided what to do - It is time now to Execute that decision and do it.

If you follow these rules, you won't hit that pothole, or you won't have to break immediately and cause yourself to dostoppies. Nothing is foolproof, but you can save yourself a lot of grief with this technique. The idea is to see the future, and make the adjustment before you have a problem.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 AM

awesome advice and much appreciated. The more I learn the better I will feel going into the MSF. I am pretty excited to take the course. I have basically surrendered "what bike will i get" until after I complete the course. Upon completing the course then I will decide the bike. Then I will take the bike to the basic rider safety 2 course where u need your own bike. This site is great and am glad I came across it.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brand new bike + noob = bad idea, always just my opinion

Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you realize that buying an older, cheaper, less high-strung bike and riding it for a season or two makes sense. But we all know that riding a sportbike isn't about being sensible. If throwing your leg over a 600RR will make your heart sing, and getting on a 'lesser' bkie will make your heart sink, then that's going to be what you make your decision on.

One more thing, if the class you're thinking of taking after you get your bike is like the MSF experienced rider course, I would recommend waiting. You could spend months just working on reinforcing what you covered in the basic rider course. Get a few thousand miles under your belt, get so you're comfortable in traffic and at highway speeds, and keep practicing your swerves and panic stops and slow- and high-speed turns, then decide whether you want the experienced rider course, some track instruction, or something midway between the two, like the Lee Parks Advanced Riding Clinic.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:24 PM

um, isn't it push left, lean left, turn left?!!?
Dave, I started out on a 600F2. I bought a well-used, cheaper bike so I could learn the ropes and not worry too much about dropping it. The difference between my 600F2 and a new 600rr is about 25-30hp. I have about 4000 miles under my belt now, and feel like I could ride a 600rr skillfully enough not to kill myself. a 1krr would be way too much for me at this point.
My point is, if it's your first bike, you're probably going to drop it at least once (forget to put the kickstand down, lose your grip pushing it into the garage, etc...). My advice would be to start out on a tamer bike like a F2, F3, or even F4.
Welcome to the site, and good luck at the MSF! I took the course, and it's fun!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Personally i started out on an 06 600 rr, but i will admit that i had some close calls starting out because thats a lot of power for a beginner. I did take the msf course, the only expirience i walked in there with was dirtbike riding experience. They taught me everything i needed, and every skill i learned has been applied to situations i have faced on the road. As long as you complete the course without any problems and have respect for the power, which from what your thread has said it sounds like you are, you wont have any problems i dont think. But do what you feel comfortable with.Keep the shiny side up too!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Question for those with experience. I went the complete opposite route of Dave who seems to have a very good head on his shoulders. I bought a brand new 07 600RR with absolutely no sportbike experience, but I do ride dirt bikes. I feel really comfortable on it and sometimes almost too comfortable (138mph too comfortable) I've logged almost400 miles now and am wondering if you guys think it is a good idea to go and take the MSF course? Does it teach just basics or is there something worth while?
Thanks and good luck in your decision.

Quick Reply: new member lots of advice wanted