New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new member lots of advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member lots of advice wanted

Hey everyone, great site from the looks of it. I registered because I would like to describe a little about me, my situation and the bike I am looking to get.

I am almost 28 years old, about6 ft tall and 215 pounds, in grad school and have no motorcycle experience other than going around the block on a katana 600. I bought my friends "can of tuna" (as a cowoker called it) which was a 1999 with only 8k miles. I rode it around the block, it scared the crap out of me and I sold it almost immediately after. I owned a pizza place at the time and realized I had no time to dedicate to taking the MSF course and I had no gear so I sold it because "can of tuna" or not..it was too scary. That was about 3 years ago.

Here is where I am at now. This weekend (27-29th) I am taking an MSF basic rider course. I went today and bought full gear. I got a good helmet, race jacket, padded gloves and boots. Totaling about 500 bucks. Its awkward spending 250 for the course (private course with less members) and 500 for gear without evening having a bike! oh well I digress.

Depending on how I feel upon successful completion of the course I do have my "heart" on the 07 600rr. I could care less about the speed, or if some jackass wants to race me on the road. I am not intimidated by that crap. But I do want abike that I feel passionately about. I am big on asthetics. Unfortunately, they are 600 and up sport bikes. So if I feel comfortable would you say pull the trigger? Your input will be appreciated and I know there are two sides to the story. I would like people to assume that I am not really going to feel the urge or peer pressure to go beyond my limits (i used to be a boxer..not easily intimidated). I am more concerned about going over a pothole and upping the rpm too much.

Anyways, I plan to be active on the forums and am looking forward to getting into this course. I guess the great thing right now is....motorcycles scare the crap out of me! So i guess I have that respect right up front.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned
Default RE: new member lots of advice wanted

If a Katana was too scary, the 600rr will be more so. The ergos/power/brakes are all taken to extremes on an RR. If you want me to opine honestly, I say don't get one.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 PM

I thought that might be interpretted that way. I meant it scared me more because I heard it was a slow bike and it obviously isn't. I had no gear on, had no time to take the course and therefore sold it. That is why I have bought full gear and am taking the course in three days. I am aware that the RR will be faster than the katana.

Obviously every person is going to have different learning curves, abilities etc. I guess I am wondering how many of you guys/gals that are real riders know people that get the 600's and do fine with them? What traits do they possess that have led them to have success? I am sure I will have my own insight after the MSF course but I do want to begin thinking of the possibilities. Also, may 4th I plan to take the brc 2 more advanced course where you bring your own bike. So I will be going right from the msf basic rider course 1 to the second course only a few days later. This may help me as well. thanks.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

restraint.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Retired Moderator

Well, I think you are going about it the right way, bike or not! It sounds like you have a head on your shoulders, and you are following a safety first philosophy. These sportbikes can go do a track day out of the crate, and kick butt with no modifications. Fryer isn't kidding about the "restraint" comment! The asthetics also drew me in at first. I always wanted a motorcycle, but I always knew it would be a sportbike, so I hear where you are coming from. You may really want to consider buying used, then when you are more comfortable on it, and less likely to take a spill, upgrade if you want at that time. Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:30 PM

YES YES YES...by a used one...a 500 with 60hp is far more forgivng than a 07 600rr with 118 hp..espially if your forget that clutch at a light...but use your judgement

Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 PM

The throttle goes both ways take yer time with this bike, it can and will kill you if yer not usin yer head

Old 04-24-2007, 11:07 PM

thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I've really been going back and forth all day. I think the best thing I am going to do is do the safety class and then access where I am at after. I am not kidding when I say i have a lot of respect for the power of these bikes. I may just get a POS and kick that around the neighborhoods for a season if I still feel really ambivalent. I know in hindsight there really is no rush to get exactly what I want; when I am not even ready for it. But again thanks for the warm welcome. I will keep you updated on my progress when I start the MSF this weekend.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 PM

Hello and welcome to the site, respect the bike it will respect you! Learn everything you can from msf class. Take your time on the bike never be in a rush for your first time. Think safe be safe.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 PM

question. I have a feeling that I will feel confident with all my gear on and will do excellent on the 250cc bikes during the MSF. I am motivated and tend to excel in learning situations. My real fears are about the bikes during unforseen circumstances. For example: I am doing 30mph and then hit a bump in the road. How easy is it for the hand to just rev this type of bike into a wheelie? How easy is it to flip if you are being careful? What about stoppies? The breaks are great so how easy is it to stoppie and flip over if I have to break? These are things that I dont think I will learn on a 250 or 500 and are the realities with the 600rr.

Again thanks for all the replies; I am "taking notes." lol...

Quick Reply: new member lots of advice wanted