New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Member, Just bought a 96 600 F3

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, Just bought a 96 600 F3

I have been wanting to buy my first bike for a long time now, but life has postponed that until the age of 33. However recently I have decided that the 2013 riding season would be mine....muahhh.

I have been psychotically looking for a decent project bike (I'm mechanically inclined, just never worked on a bike) that I could work on over the Indiana winter and have ready for the spring, and found a 96 CBR 600 f3 on CL in Cinci. The bike was rear ended, damaging the tail section and subframe. The previous owner had already replaced the subframe, but the bike was missing the tail fairings. The ad stated that the carbs and jets needed a thorough cleaning and that the bike currently did not start. He wanted $600, I paid $500 and drove away with my "new to me" 96 600 f3

Once I got the bike back to Indy, I just couldn't wait to try and get it started. I removed both side fairings, the tank, and the airbox. Sprayed carb cleaner into the carbs and the fuel line and after a few minutes actually got her to fire up! Much more than I expected on the 1st night. However, I can't keep her running for now, which is why I am now here on the CBRforum to seek advice from people much more knowledgeable than I

I will be posting my thoughts and questions in the correct area, but I just wanted to start here and introduce myself to the community

Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck getting it going. The F3 section will have all the info you could ever need. Bikes are pretty simple, when you get down to it...

Get some pics up. Think about starting a build thread. You will get lots of answers and opinions that way, all in one place.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Speedway,

ASk away with the questions you need answered. Usually the collective knowledge 1. has done it before, 2. can solve the problem and 3. can point you in the right direction for parts/spares etc.

If possible post pictures of your progress. The 600 is a lovely bike and the more we can keep on the road the better.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I will definitely be posting my questions in the F3 section, as well as making a build log thread!

Here are the 2 pics from the CL ad. I assume the pic on the right is before the accident, because my tail now looks like the pic on the left lol!

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

good ole' f3. i love em. they're really easy to work on. hope you get it started. how long did the bike run for when she started up on the carb cleaner? if it ran for a few seconds, it might just need the carbs cleaned and what not. flush the fluids.

welcome to cbrf

Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM

I have had her started a few times, the longest I have gotten the bike to stay running was prob 15-20secs.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

33 ain't nothin' but a thang. ;-) Glad you finally joined the rider ranks.

We like build/re-build/mod threads. Have at it!

Sounds like you've got a good solid base bike to work w/ that just needs some good TLC. Also, sounds like you're the type that can actually make progress to get 'er done. Hope it works out well for you.

Good to have you w/ us. Settle in & enjoy.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 AM

I love seeing an old bike get a bit of tlc and repair <3 good on you for putting the time and effort in.

$500 sounds like an absolute steal! Welcome to the forum

Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM

Well Frankenstein (since she is a girl I will call her Frankie for short ) is up and running, thanks to a small, but invaluable piece of advice from SB!

Pretty excited that it only took me 2 days and joining this forum to get her running, especially since I have never worked on a bike before in my life However, I know this is only the beginning of my motorcycle journey and sticking around here will be a must!

To the mods, how long does it usually take for a noobs posts to not have to be approved and be able to post immediately?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

To the mods, how long does it usually take for a noobs posts to not have to be approved and be able to post immediately?

There is no specific length of time. Just keep posting...

Quick Reply: New Member, Just bought a 96 600 F3