New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New member here hello to everyone

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New member here hello to everyone

Hey guys how are all of you? I am a new member and I have loved CBR's since i seen them on the street. I am interested in getting a cbr but money is tight and so obviously not looking to get a new one...

I found this one CBR that is cheap, needs a new key and a tune up.... it lokos solid it's on craigslist and here is the link .... http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/1745678598.html its a 1988 hurricane 600.

I have been looking for bikes but just need a starter bike for now so I can start going to school and just around maybe to orlando (I live in miami) to see some friends.... can anyone help no a starter bike or let me know if this bike is alright in dependability.... also does anyone know typically how much a tune up is on a bike?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 AM

Hi and welcome! Needs a new key? Did the owner lose it? Looks like its in pretty good shape, make sure it starts and runs at least (kinda hard with no key i guess). A tune up could vary in price depending on what it needs (plugs, filters, etc). Most of that stuff should be pretty simple if you are a do-it-yourself kind of guy! should keep the cost pretty low too! I don;t know too much on how reliable they are but hey, its a Honda, it should be pretty reliable. Good luck in your quest!

Last edited by DunnRR; 06-23-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey there

Welcome to the forum!!

The original F1 is a sound bike and reliable too but it now suffers from being "old"

Unless it is very cheap or in especially good order I would try for the later F2/F3 models ... they are better,
handle better and are cheap too ... plus they are much in abundance.

If your heart is set on this one then check it very carefully ... the F1 was prone to frame cracks
and they need professional welding if they develop a crack.

I have included two links...

My own review of the F1 "Hurricanes"...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/cbr600f1-super-review-bike-started-all-96749/

Check out this link regarding the frame cracks...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/important-please-read-pics-crack-frame-57248/

One more thing ... they tend not to go out of "tune" from just sitting
they are more likely to develop gummed up carbs that will require
removal and cleaning out of jets and float chambers.

You need to hear this bike run before buying

Good luck and let us all know how you get on

Jules

Last edited by Juliet; 06-23-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum, man.
Great info from jules.

If I were you, I'd also look around for an F2/F3/F4 for cheap. Maybe even an F4i. Not that there's anything wrong with a well maintained F1... I'd just be more likely to go with something a bit newer.

Tune up price can vary a lot. It depends on what needs done, or what the shop wants to do.
Your best bet would be to read up on the manual and the forums and maybe get a friend to look over the bike, too. But if you aren't comfortable with that method, ask around about good shops in the area and maybe call a couple. Shops can get real expensive real quick, tho.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 AM

thanks for the info guys, I have decided not to go directly with this bike per say... I might give it a little more time and try to buy a newer one so I won't have any issues especially since it does not even have a key....

Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard!
I'll reiterate what everyone else has said and say that you should be looking for a F2/F3 in good condition.
It might take awhile to find but it will be worth it in the long run
Good luck and keep us posted on your search!