New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Here, still deciding on honda or ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Here, still deciding on honda or ???

Welcome to the family. The 929RR use to be Honda's liter bike in '00-'01. So if you're looking for a comparison within Honda, you must go with the 1000RR. But, you say you haven't ridden street bikes...that means you need to go 600cc or lower to start out on.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you notice the fairly extensive list of bikes that I have ridden? like 3 posts up. I havent ridden them regulary, but a handful of times on each probably.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:10 PM

I am on #3 Honda. Two cruisers and now a CBR6004F. I Can't speak highly enough of Honda. When you are looking make sure you look at resale, and availability of dealers across your riding area. I am active in the Honda Riding club and can tell you it's second to none. Honda Hoot Rules!!! Good luck on your decision. For old gomers like me 40+ the CBR600 is awesome!!

Old 11-28-2005, 11:11 PM

I am on #3 Honda. Two cruisers and now a CBR6004F. I Can't speak highly enough of Honda. When you are looking make sure you look at resale, and availability of dealers across your riding area. I am active in the Honda Riding club and can tell you it's second to none. Honda Hoot Rules!!! Good luck on your decision. For old gomers like me 40+ the CBR600 is awesome!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3699/351D833DF8A24389B697EC6B74B72CE2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-29-2005, 01:03 AM

Having ridden a Honda CBR 900RR for the past 10 years, this new 1000RR Repsol Edition is an exceptional leap forward. Great Fit/Finish by Honda as expected and easy to just hop on and acclimate to within an hour if you've had previous experience. For the novice rider I'm sure it poses no major threat as long as you treat her with respect and the common "I'm invisible to everyone else" attitude. I cannot endorse this rocket with so little words and those looking for the edge of being out of control than seek the Kawa ZX-10 or more controllable Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5. Both are exceptional as well, but only those who can achieve a level exceeding 90% of what these machine limits offer, can attest to any real difference. The CBR is a rock solid machine making a the rider focus on the ride vs the machine... I've enjoyed a few of my friends Kwaka's and Suzies and they had their peaks here and there, but the overall package is what most of us look for! Pulling up to my compadres rockets which were less than 4 years old with my near 10 year old CBR and hanging in there - they were always stunned how her fit/finish outshined most of the others. No worries here and I promote the superior colors of the Repsol Edition if you can get your hands on one! Super"B" Bike in all the sense of the statement! Ride Red, it's worth it!!! The liter girl won't let you down. Godspeed on your choice, but it will ultimately come up to you and how you ride - or think you ride!!! Stay safe!

Note: As mentioned by others before - the 600 class is exceptional of course and those guys hung in there with me all the time(one went around me) into the apex up until the pitch out(exit corner) and the mid-range was the 900's saving grace against the 6's when I had to reel a 6 back in... 600's = so flickable...

Old 11-29-2005, 01:43 AM

If you get a 600 now, you'll be buying a new 1000 next year. Thats how things work. A lot of people that are torn on a liter bike that buy a 600 bc they were told it's a good starter bike will have a 1000 within a year. So get what you want. The power of a bike is only unleashed with user input... in other words, you have to twist the throttle for it to go. I had an F2, then a 900RR, and now a 2005 R1. In my opinion the R1 is the best looking. The 1000RR is right there with it though. i actually went to the dealership to buy a 1000RR until i had it and the R1 sitting side by side. The gsxr is the ugliest thing to hit the motorcycle world this century. The kawi is ok, but i'm still uncertain about it. The sales of that bike were low and kawi dropped their prices by $1,000 after a year. As far as power goes, they all run neck and neck. Its more up to rider skill than the bike. Hondas have always been known for their reliablilty and their refinement. You'll never doubt the integrity of a honda. Its simply a well built machine. As for handling, jump on a bike from the early to mid 90s for a few miles then get on a 2005-2006 model. You wont care what name is on the side of it, the suspension compared to a 10 year old bike is SWEET!

Old 11-29-2005, 10:17 PM

Air Guardian... I am with you on the rep sol edition. If I were to go purchase a bike right now (its winter so wont be) I would (and will) be looking for the rep sol. Of course that will be depending on the availability of the bike. One thing that does turn me off about the hondas is local population of them. Everyone has one, (if they didnt pick up a 636 during the 40 dollar specials) Gettin the repsol will help me keep some sort of exclusiveness. (not that its a super big deal) Coming into this i had the general assumption that the hondas may not have been the most powerful, but the most vaulable, and also refinement (much like all other machines they produce.) I'm not interested in have the absolute most power in the liter class, but rather having the liter over the 600 seems to be the way im gonna go.

Clemson...I agree with you on the liter vs. 600 issue. That is my biggest concern. I know right now that i dont want to keep a 600, (jsut from experience with other machines I've owned, the smaller starter is never good enough). For a season im sure it would keep me happy, but im not interested in switching bikes, otherwise i wouldnt be going for a brand new one. I want a machine that I can ride and maintain and will provide me with enjoyment for 4+ riding seasons.

I'm still gonna try to go for a ride on another 1000 and 600 just to compare the response and overall characteristics of the bike. I like the idea of the lighter smaller bike, but I am not interested in a bike that i will want to get rid of after 1 season for the liter bike.

You 2 gave me the most beneficial contributions yet. I am really leaning towards the big bike, and honestly I have been looking for some people to say go ahead and get the big one first. I know its kinda looking for what i wanted to hear, but I'm sure im not the only one thats done it.

Sooo.... unlessi can be convinced otherwise 06 repsol is sounding pretty good. If i can't find the repsol im gonna have to go red and black. (matches my allmotor em-1 honda coupe!) And my pit bike for that matter lol!

Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 AM

AH your in a HONDA CBR forum and you are asking us what bike to buy........ DAH!!
GOOD luck!

Old 12-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Retired Mod

why is everyone always stuck on the idea that they will "outgrow" a 600? the truth is that 99.9% of the general public cannot and will not ever be able to reach a 600's full potential. besides, if you only ride on the street, you will be able to break every speed limit without leaving first gear. a cbr600rr (or any other supersport 600) is not a weak bike and in my opinion shouldn't be a person's first bike. i understand what everyone says about "it's only as fast as you want it to be" and anyone can idle a cbr1000rr around at 10 mph. but who does that. anyone (myself included) will always find out just how fast a certain bike is. that is why some of us have stated that you or anyone else should use a little caution when making your first bike purchase. everyone makes mistakes and new riders are more prone to make more mistakes and bikes with less than 180 horsepower will forgive you more often than the faster bikes.

that being said, if you have your mind set on a liter bike and feel that you can handle it, go for it. i don't mean to sound like an old man. i do not personally know you or your riding abilities. i just know that i too started on dirt bikes then moved to street bikes and there is no way that i could have started on my 929, let alone the new crop of liter bikes that leave me standing still. this is just my opinion that i give to most people when they want to buy their first street bike.

good luck and let us all know what you get, honda or not.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Sit on a few and decided what you like all around. Style, position, speed, weight, etc. Hope you make the right decision. Good Luck

Quick Reply: New Here, still deciding on honda or ???