New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New guy near ottawa

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy near ottawa

Hey all, just picked up a 2003 cbr 600 f4i with 20k on it to replace my 86 vfr 750. Just wanted to say hi. I am located in Petawawa near Ottawa Ontario. What a sweet ride.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard jondevos!
Yep the F4i is a great bike....plenty of riders here on the site ,so if U have any questions post 'em in the F4i forum

Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there jondevos, good choice in bikes, lol, congratulations. There's loads of us F4i riders here, so make yourself right at home.
Welcome to CBRF

Old 05-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey Jondevos and welcome!! :-)

The F4i is a sweet bike ...

be safe!! :-)

Jules

Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a copy of the post I made on the vfr forum with a short comparison between the 2.

Thanks all. So far I love the cbr. Way more refined and loving the fuel injection. Im sure that the newer vfr's are closer to the cbr than my older vfr 750.

Originally Posted by reg71
what did you do with the vfr?
I still have the bike if anyone is interested. It is in Petawawa Ontario near Ottawa.
Here is a small comparison between the two bikes. Keep in mind that Im going from a old 1986 vfr 750 to a newer more modern 2003 cbr 600 f4i. This review wont mean much to those on a newer vfr as they are quite different from the older ones.
Handling: Well in simple terms superb. The vfr always seamed to flick around pretty easily but the cbr outshines. The radial tires are soo much nicer than the old bi-ply. The CBR has new battlax tires compared to the old hard dunlops I had on the vfr. The new ones grip amazingly strong in both wet and dry. I have new tires for the vfr just never got to putting them on. Then there is the matter of weight. The cbr is very light compared to the vfr, but what do you expect when you go 17 years newer.
Brakes: Again the cbr just blows away the vfr. The old brake lines flexed on the vfr causing the brakes to feel soft where as the cbr bites hard and strong. I never had any issues with the vfr brakes they just didnt feel as solid as the cbr.
Engine:Well, in 17 years there has been a few advancements on engine technology. The fuel injection is the biggest step up. No more choking on cold mornings and the engine seams to rev much more freely. That is probably in part to lighter components as well though. I would not say there is a lot more power than the vfr. Maybe 5-10 ponies. Stock they are both rated pretty close but keep in mind the vfr is now 23 years old. I run synthetic motor oil in both and neither has had any issues. The vfr starts first try every try with a simple tap of the starter button. The cbr seams to turn over longer before actually starting. My biggest complaint is that the cbr with fuel injection has a non adjustable high idle which means I have to wait a couple minutes until I can put it in gear do to it revving at 3000rpm. I can start it in gear if Im in a hurry but it really only takes 2-3 minutes until the bike registers 40 degrees and idles back down to 1000rpm. The vfr has lots of torque down low and mid range where as the cbr is focused more midrange and top end. Over all though the drivability is very similiar on both. I can drive around shifting at 5000 rpm on either bike.
Comfort: Well here is a drawback to the cbr. The vfr has a banana style seat whereas the cbr has a 2 step seat. For myself I like the 2 step seat. I have corbin seats and it really is no less comfortable than the vfr. (Although I have not done any long trips yet) The corbin seats are much wider than the vfr seat so I think it will be nicer for long trips. The issue is with the girlfriend. She liked the seat on the vfr a lot nicer cause of the banana style. She is starting to like the new seat more and more. My trick to help her out is I wear a backpack when she rides with me so it doesnt feel like there is a gap between us. Im looking at making some custom grab bars to go where the luggage rack pins are.
Overall :Overall I like the cbr better do to all the newer technology and to be frank, it looks killer compared to the old vfr. Both are very good bikes. To me its a honda so its a good bike. Honda always seams to pull through for me. I didnt really plan on replacing the vfr this year but I got the new cbr for 3500 canadian with brand new tires, chain, sprockets, battery, corbin seats, both honda and clymer manual and 2 double bubble windscreens.
Here is a picture comparison as well. I am in the military where I work as an aircraft technician so I have access to make decals and paint the new bike. Not sure what Im going to do with it yet.
Name:  IMAG0077.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  135.3 KB
Name:  IMAG0067.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  146.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0078.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  152.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0068.jpg
Size:  165.1 KB

New with the old
Name:  IMAG0085.jpg
Size:  131.4 KB
Bonus picture. My bike with the fiances parents rides.
Name:  IMAG0073.jpg
Size:  204.5 KB