New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to CBR's,

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to CBR's,

Hello to all!
I've just come into the possession of a beautiful '96 Smokin' Joe's Replica! She has been sitting in my brother-in-law's garage, torn apart, for the last 10 years... I finally convinced him she would be better cared for in MY garage, than his. And damn if he didn't go for it.
So, here she is after cleaning an inch of dust off of all the bits.
DSC_7830 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And another:
DSC_7838 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I cleaned her up with all new fluids, plugs and all the things I could easily do. She started after some effort, but it will not idle. I have to keep the throttle at about 2k and then it seems to run pretty smooth. I'd like to hear from you folks on what things I need to do to get her up and running.
I have been reading these forums for the past week, and think I need to pull the carbs for a good cleaning.
I'm new to CBR;s, but not to motorcycles. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the folks who post their "How To's". I am climbing my way up the STEEP learning curve...

Thanks

Last edited by gotcbr; 03-29-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: removed advertising link
Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 AM

ya i just had this problem with my f4....its the low speed jet in the carb. If it runs with the choke on and throttle works thats the problem. Its a pain in the *** but they need some tlc once in awhile. Might wanna also run some sea foam and clean out all the lines and carbs after. Credit for explanation goes to ERN!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Default new cbr owner

Hey everyone, my name is Konrad, and I live south side of Chicago. I just picked up a 87 cbr1000 hurricane for $500 yesterday. She is kinda rough but runs. Needs plastics and some minor mechanical work. I did notice that there is a clicking sound when she is running. I hope its nothing major but I am will to invest into the bike. If anyone lives around the worth, oak lawn, chicago ridge area, hit me up.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Unhappy

I think I've read every thread on carbs on this forum. I tried yesterday for several hours to get the carbs off, but the rubber carb insulator that connect them to the head are rock hard. No flex what ever! With the other hoses disconnected, I could only rock the carbs a fraction of an inch. And yes, I did loosen all the lower bands. I think I'm going to have to cut one or two of them to get the carbs off

Anyone have any other words of wisdom or suggestions?

TC