New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New CBR forumer 600 F4i

Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR forumer 600 F4i

Hey everyone,

Im new to this cbr forum and coming here after a problem but still figured some introduction might be nice.

Im 24 years old, i do most maintenance myself and therefore i registered. But who knows i might be able to help some other people too and keep coming around.

Right now I have a GTR1000 1986 version (Concours ZG1000 is the american name)

and a 2003 F4i with some small insecurities (me or the bike, not sure yet)

Questions? Shoot!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Stone.K

Definitely a man of taste. I not only have two CBR1000Fs (87 and 91) but two GTR1000s as well (86 and 93). And you do your own work on the bikes which is to be commended!

Great choice of bike with the F4i, but I have to ask about the GTR. In Australia it would be very unusual to see someone as young as yourself with one. I'm not making an ageist comment, merely that the bikes are seen as a long-legged tourers with great sized panniers that the ummmmmm......older person gravitates towards for comfort as well as speed and longevity. What prompted your decision as someone so young?

Take care and cheers, SB

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM

The 600 honda is so easily kept up and running perfectly there is nothing to do on it. Very handy, very reliable and very nice n all. But I need to get my hands dirty for meditational purposes / therapy.

I am in university and whenever i get tired of complex equations and confusing graphs I want to work on my motorcycle. Buy a 600 F4i and you wont have sh*t to do, as turned out. (not fully true for the current time, but atleast WAAYYYY less then with an old kawa) Apart from that I owned a ZZR 1100 which was perfect, but mighty fast. When that died i wanted something with torque but a bit less top end. Also as i already have the F4i I wanted something different. Something wind-protected, something comfy and something with a lot of torque and less top end.

Found this for a cheap 450 euro's ( about 650 dollars I'd guess, cant be bothered to calculate) needing some work. I am currently halfway trough the work i'd say.

GTR 1000
Jobs to do: major clutch rebuild, new everything in the clutch.
open and full stainless steel exhaust to make it better for winters
oil and filter swap with valve clearance checks and carb synchronization

the F4i has a slightly high temperature reading off the display, and a bit much condensation after cold starts. These things im looking into asswel.

I havent had them both very long, so time will tell. Especially the GTR is a very young project.

Reason why for the GTR is price, easy working on it and cheap parts. A perfect bike for a starting selfmechanic. Dont want to risk all of my pennies in case i mess up working on the F4i all the time.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

All great reasons.

Well, in my experience - 36 years of road riding, both your choices (as well as the ZZR11) are great bikes.

The CBR Forum is definitely the best forum I have ever been part of, but there is also a good forum for your GTR called the ZG/GTR Fanatics based in the USA. Good deal of knowledge and experience on the bike there - or you could ask me! Feel free to anytime. I've rebuilt a few GTRs and fettled mine significantly for those long distance trips. My partner and I did 9,000 km in 14 days on my '93 GTR a couple of years back.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 AM

The Concours has been looked after very poorly by his prevoius owner, but mostly because it was not used nor maintained. Now it has all new fluids, it has a new clutch system, brake revision and a carb syncing. I think the valves are fine, but i will check them anyway.

As a combination of workhorse motorcycle + heavy tourer, with the F4i being a bit of the dry sleeping worshipped funbike, its a great set of bikes. The F4i is plenty fast, so adding another ZZR seems to be senseless risking of my license. With a 300+ km/h motorcycle I tend to cruise faster then with a bike that tops around 215. The extreme speeding isn't good for me OR other people, so a bit more of a sensible choice was made.

The ZZR has been opened up and fully restored by a friend of mine i sold it to for little money, so that also lives on as we speak. Also had a couple of bikes shorter term. Some I didn't like, (250cc motorscooter, 1990 CBR600 which was too similar to the F4i to be worth the extra insurance / taxes, KLR650), some i did (Yammie Xj900, Honda NTV650)

I ride about 15000 km per year myself and right now have 5 years of experience riding. DIY Mechanic works i've done for around 3 years now, and i get better. I do still like to have an experienced help when i can. Usually theres someone willing to help out for the price of a beer and the oppertunity to testdrive the bike. Thanks for your offer, if theres any problems that need a second opinion I will surely keep it in mind.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to cbrf! great bikes

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

Nice bikes Stone.K. Big pics are big. ;-)

Glad you found us. Good that you want to help others.

Settle in & enjoy the forum. :-)

Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Welcome to the forums Stone.K!

Make yourself at home.

Search this Thread