CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New to bikes,need some guidance (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-bikes-need-some-guidance-144244/)

RussianRider 01-18-2013 09:59 PM

New to bikes,need some guidance

I've been riding quads and dirt bikes for awhile now but I want to get into riding street bikes.
I'm looking into getting a CBR600RR or maybe a 1000RR...
But it would be my first bike, i have a budget of about 4500 to 6000 and I would like some guidance on if it would be a good first bike, I would like to turn it into a street fighter style bike...

Thanks in advance
RussianRider

M@. 01-18-2013 10:18 PM

Hi RussianRider and welcome!

The first question I would have for you is what is the main purpose for the bike? just for fun or commuting? I am fairly new myself but to my knowledge the RR's are a supersport and are a bit less forgiving for commuting =) The f4's handlebars are set a bit higher with a little better seat. You are on the right track searching for a honda regardless =P

Another thing to keep in mind is gas mileage if you care about that... 1000cc anything and its a significant difference

Good luck with your search

74demon 01-18-2013 10:20 PM

Welcome to the forum, and street riding.

Get a 600. You will be better off learning street riding on a more forgiving bike. Dirt experience is good, but pavement is an entirely different monster. Besides, for that money you will have trouble finding a decent 1000rr.

RussianRider 01-19-2013 07:08 AM

The overall goal will be just a daily rider, but I would like to modify it to be a street fighter style.
Gas mileage is not a concern for me at the moment.

Is there any year that would be more beneficial to me to start on?
I'm also 5'7 so I would like to lower it some if at all possible give it a lower stance.

The overall objective is a fun bike as a DR, but also have fun with at the same time.

What about 636's?

I'd like to build a street fighter. Something with a lower stance. Fast but easy to ride.

74demon 01-19-2013 07:57 AM

You need to think about what you want out of your project in order to choose the right bike for the job. Each model is different, with different mods that are available to them. They all have different frames and such, which will make the bike look ans feel different in the end. Some have tanks, some have covers. I would advice would be to plan your fighter out first, so you don't end up with a bike that looks like it only lost Its plastic.

Bugkiller 01-19-2013 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1212305)
You need to think about what you want out of your project in order to choose the right bike for the job. Each model is different, with different mods that are available to them. They all have different frames and such, which will make the bike look ans feel different in the end. Some have tanks, some have covers. I would advice would be to plan your fighter out first, so you don't end up with a bike that looks like it only lost Its plastic.

+1 to that. For a first street bike and cost to modify I would go for a 600.

RussianRider 01-19-2013 09:04 AM

http://www.mrautomotive.net/wp-conte...eetfighter.jpg

I had something like that in mind for my bike build. nothing too crazy. a good fierce look, but a solid stance as well that can be appreciated by all.

RussianRider

Something of that nature even though that's a buell

74demon 01-19-2013 09:24 AM

nothing too crazy.

That's pretty crazy, and nice work.

You have your work cut out for you. Choose a bike wisely....

RussianRider 01-19-2013 10:41 AM

Now that you've seen what I am after, any years that a build like that would be easier on or manageable?
I'm only 5'7 so the first thing is to get a lower stance.

any wisdom on years that would be a good start for a build like that?

RR

wheelnut 01-19-2013 02:49 PM

hi and welcome :icon_toast: