New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Aussie owner - Bit of a drama for my first cbr..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011 | 06:31 PM
|
Angry New Aussie owner - Bit of a drama for my first cbr..

Hi all,

I bought myself my first 1990 CBR250RR last year. Bought it as a project bike as it had been dropped and whatever else. It had been sitting around for quite a while a far as I knew. As it was my first ever bike project I needed a little help. I spent quite a lot of cash at a couple of different mc shops where I am. Had electrics checked out (replaced some wiring, bridge rectifier etc). I was then able to start it but It was running like a dog so I took it to a well known Honda dealer/repairer in my area. I thought it wouldn't need much for roadworthy (oh how nieve I was), so asked them to check it out and give me a quick idea of what parts I would need to pass road worthy - eg brakes tyres etc (I expained it was a project bike and I just wanted to know so I could source and fit parts myself) and also to check the motor out while they were there to find out why it was running the way it was. A few days later I recieved a phone call with a total cost to repair. I requested a itemised list of parts to be emailed to me. I asked about the motor and they said it was all sorted and just needed a good run.... I recieved a list of parts and a total price (not itemised)...
I went to pick the bike up and asked what had been the problem with the motor and what had been done. To my surprise, the guy from the workshop didn't know. I asked him to show me the bike running. He dicided after throwing a bit of a tantrum ( it was getting close to closing time and I think he wanted to go home..) he wold start the thing for me. I stood there and watched him start the (cold) bike and then redline it over and over. There was no difference. It was doing exactly the same thing as it was when I brought it there. I noticed none of the bolts had been removed anywhere on the bike yet I had beeen given quite a large list of parts I required to be replaced.
I told the guy I'd pay them when they could tell me what they had done to the bike. (this never eventuated) I put the bike on my trailer and took it home. This was all a bit disheartening so I left it in the shed for a while.

I ran into some old mates who were right into bikes and they convinced me to have another go. So, I purchased another CBR for parts. It had also been dropped but it was a 1993 model and all the parts I needed were on it. Myself and 3-4 others spent a couple of weeks straight on it - 8am's to sometimes 2am everyday. Found out the fuel tap had been the problem with the engine (diaphram was buggered), most of the parts quoted by honda were all in spec ( I replaced them with the newer bike parts anyway). New fairing kit, indicators, chain, mirrors, front top fairing bracket . The list goes on. It was looking fantastic and ran like a dream. I went and got myself a road worthy, insurance etc, then took it for rego. Turned out it was stolen!!! I'd been sold a stolen bike! To all the people in Aus, a revs check is a MUST!!!
All the time and money I had spent had all been a waste. Except as I had completely stripped the bike down to everthing except the motor I now know almost every part on it intimately. I had to hand the bike in to the police (not before removing all the parts which I owned and replacing them with what was left of the parts I had removed as told to by the police).

I was / am completely gutted.

I do still have the other bike though, and since I now know the bike so well now I dicided to start all over again. The good thing that came out of this all is instead of doing everything 10 times to get it right, I can now almost do it with my eyes closed.
The only problem is there's something wrong with the motor which I'm going to ask all you kind people to give me a hand with.

I do feel for the person who had the bike stolen in the first place how ever they must have enjoyed having it as it had been completely flogged haha.

So this has been my first introduction to CBR mc's. I will not let them beat me!!
I'll post my problems with the other motor in the area I need to (once I find it) and really appreciate any help/ advice anyone gives me.

Old 04-30-2011 | 08:21 PM

Welcome to the CBRForum Mitchonda.

That's quite the saga. Sorry you had such an experience all the way around. Hang in there & keep your chin up!

Hope you're riding soon.

Old 04-30-2011 | 09:37 PM
|

Thanks heaps
If anyone can help here's the link to the motor dama's Im having

https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...ractor-124740/

Old 05-01-2011 | 11:50 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF